Unofficial Mackie User Forums > DL1608/DL806/DL32R/ProDX Mixers

My 1st Time Recording Experiment With the DL1608 and Master Fader 3.X

<< < (3/6) > >>

Keyboard Magic:
Recording with the DL Part Deux, if you're interested?

This was my result from experimenting with the DL and 2 iPads. Everyone will have a different method. This was posted for those that would be interested in my experiment only. I do welcome any suggestions, helpful comments and your own experiences. I am here to share and learn.

I found a cool way to record with MF and the DL1608 using your own recording app and control all levels and listen to the playback without having to remove the docked iPad and connect it to your computer using 2 iPads. I am using the Focusrite "Tape" app as my preferred recording medium. All recording and playback levels are controlled from the remote iPad with MF. The recording app is running from the docked iPad only. MF 3.X is installed on both iPads.

1: Load MF on the remote iPad. And connect to the DL wirelessly. (just in case it wasn't obvious)

2: Load your own recording app on the docked iPad.

3: My recording scene has CH.1&2 linked in stereo for 2 mics and the iPad channel to play back and listen to your recording from.

4: Run your recording app from the docked iPad. Manual Start only unfortunately.

And now you can record and playback the tracks with 2 iPads. No task switching between MF and the recording app and no removing the iPad from the DL to listen to your recording or adjust levels from the docked iPad. Obviously if you want to edit it, you can mail the track to yourself or connect your iPad to the computer, unless you have an audio editing app on the docked iPad.

And now I have a very quality versatile 16 Channel Reel To Reel Tape Deck from the DL1608. ;)

RoadRanger:

--- Quote from: Keyboard Magic on April 01, 2015, 05:27:12 PM ---1: Load MF on the docked iPad.
--- End quote ---
Why?

Keyboard Magic:

--- Quote from: RoadRanger on April 01, 2015, 05:55:16 PM ---
--- Quote from: Keyboard Magic on April 01, 2015, 05:27:12 PM ---1: Load MF on the docked iPad.
--- End quote ---
Why?

--- End quote ---

I had it loaded when I was task switching on the docked iPad, before I tried the remote iPad with MF. Never thought about it that way. Makes perfect sense you only need the recording app running on the docked iPad. I'll give it a whirl next time. Thanks!  :)

RoadRanger:

--- Quote from: Keyboard Magic on April 01, 2015, 05:27:12 PM ---Obviously if you want to edit it, you have you connect your iPad to the computer,
--- End quote ---
If you use Voice Record Pro you don't have to connect your iPad to your PC to transfer the files. Why use anything else? :)

Keyboard Magic:

--- Quote from: RoadRanger on April 01, 2015, 06:16:03 PM ---
--- Quote from: Keyboard Magic on April 01, 2015, 05:27:12 PM ---Obviously if you want to edit it, you have you connect your iPad to the computer,
--- End quote ---
If you use Voice Record Pro you don't have to connect your iPad to your PC to transfer the files. Why use anything else? :)

--- End quote ---

"Tape" does the same thing. I just prefer to connect. Just me. But thank you for your input. I've modified my OP from your excellent observation.  8)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version