Unofficial Mackie User Forums > DL1608/DL806/DL32R/ProDX Mixers

DL1608 DSP load

<< < (3/5) > >>

WK154:
Another piece of the puzzle came into view and it's now known what the brains behind the X32 is. It is a Feescale Mc253 a 400 Mhz ARM 9 based cpu with lots of capability along the lines of the AD Blackfin. So once  again ask yourself why the DL with more capable hardware is lagging behind?  Maybe it's time to give Graham Jordan "Circuit Whisperer" a call and have him  explain things. He's the digital design engineer at Mackie.
The specs for this CPU is here:
http://www.freescale.com/webapp/sps/site/prod_summary.jsp?code=i.MX253&fsrch=1&sr=4&pageNum=3
enjoy.

Wynnd:
Can I suggest that because overly optimistic hardware specs are the norm, that Mackie decided not to push any of the chips they picked.  That sure leaves a lot of options to improve Master Fader with.  If they abandon MF, I want them to open it up to volunteer development.  On the other hand, if they keep improving it, they will have me as a friend for a very long time.

WK154:
Wynnd I not sure what you mean by overly optimistic specs they are what they are. The reason Mackie is not mentioning what the DL is made from is their paranoid concern that someone will copy them.  :lol: That's why I had to take mine apart to find out what they were using. I first tried to get that from Mackie without success. It's all about a companies attitude toward it's customers and in Mackie's case that's not pretty. Just read how they're currently treating D8B customers with a price tag once 10x the DL.
http://www.d8bforum.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=928&start=210
You'll never see them open up code.

robbocurry:

--- Quote from: WK154 on February 06, 2014, 07:33:22 AM ---Wynnd I not sure what you mean by overly optimistic specs they are what they are. The reason Mackie is not mentioning what the DL is made from is their paranoid concern that someone will copy them.  :lol: That's why I had to take mine apart to find out what they were using. I first tried to get that from Mackie without success. It's all about a companies attitude toward it's customers and in Mackie's case that's not pretty. Just read how they're currently treating D8B customers with a price tag once 10x the DL.
http://www.d8bforum.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=928&start=210
You'll never see them open up code.

--- End quote ---
I followed that link WK, that's an hour I'll never get back lol!
I would hope (for my own sake) that the DL hardware has this redundancy of power built in to allow for new feature sets for a few years. I'm hoping it's deliberate rather than an "accidental" over speccing of the processors.
The time and money Mackie has invested in bringing the DL to manufacture, surely they would see major feature changes/updates as a way of keeping the DL current?
I'm not a tech like some of you guys, but isn't there more flexibility/longevity with current DL type components, modular architecture and the iPad interface, than there ever could be with a console like the D8B?
Having said that, this is a relatively cheap product for a digital mixer. Who would expect to get 10 years from it (or customer support for that matter) in any revision considering the current pace of technology?

abzurd:
Yep, both points are valid. The ability to add "more stuff" is great, but being bound so tightly to Apple, the timeline for future development and overall viability is an unknown.

Hardware wise, we've already seen a new connector, the "mini" and the "air". In software we've seen IOS7 cause problems. Every time Apple makes a move Mackie is forced to drop what their doing and engineer a fix. This costs time and money that could otherwise be spent on development of the firmware, Masterfader and Myfader.

I still contend that the concept is the best blend of capability and simplicity. I just wish the connectivity and IOS bugs could be fixed. It's tough to know who to even point the finger at as you have multiple hardware and software vendors developing completely independently.

As for competition, there's really only 1 that's in the exact same space and it's not yet available (Behringer X18). I have a feeling the Behringer X18 isn't fully baked and is still several months away from release, which is good and bad. Good because Mackie has time to improve their product. Bad because if Behringer ends up making the ipad "dockable", the inclusion of multi-track recording capability at more less the same price point as the DL1608 is a pretty serious blow. In fact, everything else being equal, it would be hard to justify purchasing the Mackie at that point.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version