Unofficial Mackie User Forums > DL1608/DL806/DL32R/ProDX Mixers

Some board recordings

<< < (3/3)

WK154:

--- Quote from: RoadRanger on July 31, 2014, 06:40:52 PM ---Oh, and it just occurred to me that the hardware AAC support is in the iPad - not the DL - so it'd still be raw WAV data going over the connector :( .

--- End quote ---
Not so, what's to stop the DL from dealing with compressed data (Analog Devices already has the routines as do many other public domain programs in C). You certainly don't want to send WAV data around although you could. I don't hear complaints about Airplay quality (compressed audio). Funny you should mention objections to compressed data as opposed to WAV data, BenO's argument. Too bad that there is a multi-billion dollar industry quite happy with MP3 (judged by many as the equivalent of CD WAV at 128kbps @16 bits). AAC (MP4) is the improved version of MP3. The DL is not a tool any studio would use for quality recording to produce a CD/DVD/Blue-ray. So lets match the tool to the job.

Keyboard Magic:
"The DL is not a tool any studio would use for quality recording to produce a CD/DVD/Blue-ray. So lets match the tool to the job."

Amen to that!  Couldn't agree more.  ;)

RoadRanger:
The DL is certainly good enough to track with live (if it could). I suspect that trying to compress 16 tracks of audio in real time would more than max out the on-board DSP :( . The iPad has hardware AAC compression so it doesn't load down the iPad's processor.

WK154:
The iPad hardware codecs is limited to two channels and is troublesome at best. Most using it have had to switch to the software version to bypass the problems. Nice job Fruit, it's not their favorite thing to do, comply with standards. You need a solid software codecs like Fraunhofer IIS to make this work. Even sending the file to the DL via loss-less compression is quite feasible data rate wise. I doubt that you'll stress the Blackfin ARM  which would be doing most of the heavy lifting.

WK154:
I'm interested in the usages for individual recording. Here are the one's that have come up in the past.
1. Post processing for better balance in post or keep as a record, maybe even cut demos.
2. Virtual sound check.
3. For posting on the Internet for different formats and quality.
Any other uses?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version