Author Topic: Main eq ....graphic and peq  (Read 3324 times)

Rdmitch

• Knight
Main eq ....graphic and peq
« on: December 21, 2015, 09:35:49 PM »
I didn't see this posted anywhere else, so advance apologies if this is posted elsewhere.

When setting up the eq in the main outputs (master and aux's) since there is both a graphic AND PEQ
does anyone have any good advice as where to set these.

I was having an eq problem  Saturday  with monitor feedback and noticed the settings on the channel output
was properly set on the PEQ, but saw the graphic had the high end way up !

Since I assume the guy that ran the program the night before must have made a change to the graphic setting, it made me wonder if there was a preferred method.  I typically flatten the graphic eq out and just use the PEQ to set my aux outs. I only go back to the GEQ only for fine tuning .
Is there a better way ?   
Wonder if the new RTA on this channel might have helped me see the problem
« Last Edit: December 21, 2015, 09:38:19 PM by Rdmitch »
Your never to old to learn something stupid

dpdan

• Dapper Dan
  • Master
    • kurysound.com
Re: Main eq ....graphic and peq
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2015, 03:43:20 AM »
Start with no EQ at all, unless the EQ has been set previously to accomodate peaks and valleys in the frequency response of specific speakers and their surroundings.
A professional carpenter does not use a tool just because it's in the tool chest. If there is a problem that needs fixing, he will go to the tool chest and get the correct tool for the job and then judiciously make changes.

An Equalizer of any kind should (in my opinion) NEVER be messed with unless the user knows exactly what to change in order to make things sound better.... not worse or different... but better, and more pleasing to the ear... that is the goal.

If you can not instantly recognize a pitch by it's frequency,... and most people can't, it is highly unlikely that messing with the EQ will yield a better sound. If you have a nasty ring in a monitor speaker or mains or whatever, if you know that the ring is... let's say 1.6 Khz, then you can immediately go to the parametric or graphic EQ and then cut that exact frequency to eliminate the unwanted bad sound.   

I highly suggest purchasing the AUDIO TOOLS app, it will show you the exact frequency of the ring and then you can fix it like a pro.
You will not regret purchasing this app.

In this video, I demonstrate how easy it is to get things sounding better, quickly. Sometimes, if I have to be quiet, I imitate the pitch of the feedback in a lower or higher octave depending on the pitch of the feedback, and then simply multiply or divide the pitch so that I adjust the correct frequency.

Example, if the frequency is let's say,,, 460 Hz., I could not sing that note into the iPad's microphone very softly, so I would sing it and octave lower, then of course it will show up on the Audio Tools app as 230, but I know it is actually 460 Hz. Did that make any sense?  :)

One octave above 230 Hz. is 460, an octave below 230 is 115 Hz,. get it  :)

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EoeKURaKRYg" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EoeKURaKRYg</a>

« Last Edit: December 22, 2015, 04:10:08 AM by dpdan »

James91104

• Knight
« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2015, 06:08:20 AM »
I suggest that your current approach is the wiser and preferred sequence as opposed to the reverse.
I have no experience with the new RTA in particular since I have not downloaded the new app, however I would imagine it to certainly be of an assist rather than a hindrance.

As an option, the provided links are valuable and useful for offline training.

Cheers

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/ddt-feedback/id533656809?mt=8

https://play.google.com/store/apps/developer?id=Sebastian+-+Danley&hl=en

stevegarris

• Knight
« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2015, 05:39:04 PM »
One of the things I love about the DL and other digital mixers is the intuitive and easy to visualize parametric equalizers. I no longer use a graphic EQ, and suggest you use either one or the other, but not both. Learn to recognize the offending frequencies. You have pass filters, and 4 bands of EQ for each output - this is perfect. If you filter any additional amount of frequencies you're probably slowly killing your sound. Find the frequencies first, then adjust the width accordingly. In case you didn't know, you can change which EQ comes up first in the settings.

Rdmitch

• Knight
« Reply #4 on: December 22, 2015, 07:31:44 PM »
I always leave the main outputs GEQ flat and work with the PEQ and was very surprised to find the aux2 output GEQ bumped up on the high end. Since I was not there when the alternate "fill in" tech worked the night before
I just wondered if maybe he knew something I did not about a better way to utilize these together.
Since the mains have both available, it seems like they could easily fight each other.

Your never to old to learn something stupid

dpdan

• Dapper Dan
  • Master
    • kurysound.com
« Reply #5 on: December 22, 2015, 09:11:03 PM »
the two EQs would only "fight" each other if you apply EQ changes to frequencies in both equalizers.

Topsøe

• Knight
« Reply #6 on: December 22, 2015, 09:46:01 PM »
the two EQs would only "fight" each other if you apply EQ changes to frequencies in both equalizers.

Or suplement each other
If in doubt ask

sam.spoons

• Pint #2
  • Master
« Reply #7 on: December 23, 2015, 12:07:27 AM »
Why not use GEQ to optimise the speakers (probably only necessary with passives) and the PEQ to optimise the room?

Trshot

• Punster
  • Padawan
« Reply #8 on: December 23, 2015, 04:54:27 PM »
With the latest update you now have an RTA to find and notch the frequency that's feeding back when you ring out the MON'S and FOH.

walterw

• Padawan
« Reply #9 on: December 28, 2015, 05:13:52 AM »
One of the things I love about the DL and other digital mixers is the intuitive and easy to visualize parametric equalizers. I no longer use a graphic EQ...
me neither!

set the thing to bypass the graphic EQ entirely (set the graphic to "off") and just use the parametrics, once you get good at them you'll never want to go back. parametrics have always been superior to graphics sonically, and with the advent of touchscreen mixing they're finally also intuitive to use.

also, like steve said, you can set the mixer so that the parametric comes up first when you go to the EQ page.