Author Topic: problem - Pink / white noise from ipad channel  (Read 38651 times)

abzurd

Re: problem - Pink / white noise from ipad channel
« Reply #45 on: November 19, 2013, 12:59:14 PM »
Do yous guys force close all apps before running Master Fader and your music playing app at a gig? I think we figured out that makes the iPad much more stable (contrary to what Apple says). I personally have been playing break music from the iPad and haven't had the issue.

Yes, I only have masterfader and whatever music app I'm using up.

RoadRanger

• SysGod
  • Counselor
  • Master
  • "Wherever you go, There you are"
    • Cacophony Forums
« Reply #46 on: November 19, 2013, 01:30:50 PM »
Interesting. Which app was on the screen at the time of the "issue" happening? I normally have the music app active which means Master Fader is "asleep".

abzurd

« Reply #47 on: November 19, 2013, 01:39:25 PM »
Interesting. Which app was on the screen at the time of the "issue" happening? I normally have the music app active which means Master Fader is "asleep".

Yes, the music app is active, however often I can switch back and forth between apps with no change. Last night, with just Masterfader and  the native music app launched, it was playing distorted music, that was down 15 dB from normal, for a half hour straight. I could even pause and unpause and it would stay the same, except for a brief burst of the white noise whenever I'd press the pause/play button (like a 1/2 second of it). Oddly, there is no absolute on what happens when it malfunctions. About 1/2 the time it's a the huge burst of noise, the other 1/2 it's quiet distorted signal, which sometimes then becomes the blast of noise and other times does not.

RoadRanger

• SysGod
  • Counselor
  • Master
  • "Wherever you go, There you are"
    • Cacophony Forums
« Reply #48 on: November 19, 2013, 03:37:14 PM »

Have you considered an exorcism? ;)
« Last Edit: November 19, 2013, 11:37:26 PM by RoadRanger »

WK154

• Door #3
  • Master
« Reply #49 on: November 19, 2013, 11:13:23 PM »
Have you considered an exorcism? ;)
That would require no fruit and Smackie. Time to get this mystery solved.
When in doubt KISS

Nottoodeaf

• Padawan
« Reply #50 on: November 20, 2013, 03:58:03 PM »
Now that you mention it, I did have the distorted, reduced level once or twice as well as the noise.  It was quite shocking to see the level on the ipad channel out of the yellow!
Does that have to be there?  Not anymore!

PeterKorg

• Padawan
« Reply #51 on: November 23, 2013, 09:32:37 AM »
I've never had this issue, sounds kinda scary

I sometimes run music using PlayMyQ, but something I will now watch out for

abzurd

« Reply #52 on: November 23, 2013, 02:04:18 PM »
So, even thought they were finally able to recreate the issue at their shop the other day, I was told by Mackie to reflash the mixer to see if that solved it. I did that and tested a few days ago and it didn't "break". This morning I resumed testing and it "broke" 2 minutes in.

Interesting is that I exited the master fader app and there was no change. I wasn't until I paused the song in the music app that it stopped. 10 minutes later I resumed play and the song started playing correctly again. I still had not restarted master fader. FWIW, earlier in the week pausing and unpausing the song after the problem started just toggled between silence and noise. I had to quit the music app and relaunch to get normal audio again.

abzurd

« Reply #53 on: November 23, 2013, 02:09:22 PM »
So to those of you that have experienced this, can you tell me:

1 - What IOS were you using when this occurred?

2 - What iPad model?

3 - What's the serial number of your mixer?

4 - What music app were you using when the issue occurred?

I have the ear of Mackie support and would like to relay them as much information as possible. You can post here or send me a message if you'd like.

Thanks,

Yorgaki1

• Padawan
« Reply #54 on: November 24, 2013, 01:59:21 PM »
iOS version 7.0.3
iPad model 3rd generation 30 pin with retina display MD364ll/a
DL1608 serial number 2037399CREW0503
Algoriddim dJay2 version 2.2

In my case (and this has white noise problem has occurred at about 50% of the gigs since upgrading to ios7) I have not noticed anything abnormal like reduced level or distortion prior to the ear shredding white noise. It has never occurred while I'm actively working the docked iPad. I leave djay or the iTunes music player app active on the docked iPad and control the dl wirelessly. MACKIE PLEASE HELP!
« Last Edit: November 24, 2013, 05:48:55 PM by Yorgaki1 »

Wynnd

• Master
« Reply #55 on: November 25, 2013, 05:18:32 PM »
I'm having the ipad audio disconnect from MF.  Guess that I'm lucky not to have the pink or white noise with it.  I shut down my ipad and restarted it without a change.  Got me wondering.  I'm also not using this for break music.  But in rehearsal with a cover band it's useful. 

jlb

• Padawan
« Reply #56 on: December 01, 2013, 02:59:21 PM »
This has happened to me on several occasions. I purchased the mixer in October 2012. Nothing good about the IPad channel at this time.

IPad 2

Serial:2037399CRET0497
« Last Edit: December 01, 2013, 03:05:31 PM by jlb »

WK154

• Door #3
  • Master
« Reply #57 on: December 01, 2013, 07:52:50 PM »
Well I've tried everything to make it bleed without success. RR may be right on exorcism. There is however one thing that I did to the DL that you haven't tried and that is re-seat the paddle board cables. I had to disconnect these for the autopsy. Now it shouldn't void warranty since replacement is OK. Mackie should have the instruction for this. While you have the board out inspect it for cold solder joints and fix them if need be. If that fixes the problem then Mackie has successfully carried forward their infamous cable problems to the DL. Inspect the cables and firmly re-seat them. They already have a problem with some of the power supply connector so why not these.
« Last Edit: December 01, 2013, 07:58:01 PM by WK154 »
When in doubt KISS

Yorgaki1

• Padawan
« Reply #58 on: December 02, 2013, 12:07:46 AM »
This happened to me again last Saturday at a wedding reception. the thing I noticed this time I had 2 music apps running. DJ for iPad was active with the music player in the background don't know if this may be triggering it?

WK154

• Door #3
  • Master
« Reply #59 on: December 03, 2013, 05:36:39 AM »
"Well I've tried everything to make it bleed without success."
When you think you have an unusual DL it bites you in the rear. Did nothing but left it running and bingo no connection. Re-plugging did nothing. The iPad was left alone I just power cycled the DL which brought it back. So Mackie it's time to fix the sync problem once and for all. Although it never failed at gigs for me this makes it unreliable and unusable. It would only be a matter of time before it failed at the wrong time Murphy will see to that. In case it's not clear the problem is in the DL code not MF.
« Last Edit: December 03, 2013, 05:51:15 AM by WK154 »
When in doubt KISS