Unofficial Mackie User Forums > DL1608/DL806/DL32R/ProDX Mixers

Pin One Problem on DL1608

<< < (12/15) > >>

nottooloud:

--- Quote from: WK154 on June 23, 2013, 11:37:05 PM ---
--- Quote from: nottooloud on June 20, 2013, 03:45:10 PM ---
--- Quote from: WK154 on June 20, 2013, 12:04:00 PM ---I wouldn't use the Apple supply. Your other equipment could be adding noise and may need grounding.

--- End quote ---

Of course I wouldn't use the Apple supply for anything more than proof of concept. It'd burn up in no time.

The other equipment in this case is a Roland powered speaker, and it is grounded. I was going unbalanced from a Mackie aux to the speaker's highest gain input, turned up. With Mackie's supply, I had Mackie's digital hash. With the Adaptermonster supply, I had a smaller quantity of different digital hash, position sensitive. With the Apple supply, I had nothing but system hiss.

The point is that I changed absolutely nothing but the supply and all the issues went away. We just need to find the right supply.

--- End quote ---

To be sure it's not a proof of concept to overload a supply and consider the "hiss" to be a better solution. If you were getting digital hash perhaps you could record it and view it's content along with the hiss? Electrons don't change their actions because of "position" of a supply or touching the plastic case. A bad connection to the mixer yes. You referred to an unbalanced high gain device and named it a Roland powered speaker (what model # ?). I don't consider digital hash as "all the issues went away" they either did or didn't. Without measurements of output signals it means nothing. It's all about levels. You are now entering the realm of an AUDIO SYSTEM not an individual piece of gear where all the parts can contribute to the noise (cable and Roland speaker). You also stated that it radiates like crazy, that implies you have a spectrum analyzer, Faraday cage and have results to confirm this!

--- End quote ---

Sigh. I don't understand what you're fighting about.

Of course it's a proof of concept. My concept is that a better quality supply will fix our problems. It does that. It's not an operating solution, because the Apple supply would overheat.

No digital hash whatsoever with the Apple supply. With high enough gain on any audio system, you will have hiss. That's normal, and indicative of "all the issues went away."

With the adaptermonster supply, as I move the supply around, change its orientation, touch it, and in particular move it closer to the mixer, it's own digital hash changes in amplitude. Grounding the mixer directly didn't affect it. No rf meter needed, thanks, it's radiating like crazy. None of that from the ungrounded Apple supply or the grounded Mackie supply.

The model of the Roland powered speaker is MA-12C, but that makes no difference whatsoever. It was a constant in the system.

Greg C.:
Agreed on the Roland speakers, they're solid. I've installed and used hundreds of them for all sorts of Avid editing systems and monitoring situations over the past 20 years. I've never had  a noise issue with them using any unbalanced connections except once. It was due to a so-called surge protector that had leaking MOVs dumping garbage into the ground and neutral line of the strip. Other than that, no issues.

WK154:
nottooloud:

Sigh. I don't understand what you're fighting about.
Not fighting just stating facts.
Of course it's a proof of concept. My concept is that a better quality supply will fix our problems. It does that. It's not an operating solution, because the Apple supply would overheat.
We can agree to disagree on this without going into power supply design.
No digital hash whatsoever with the Apple supply. With high enough gain on any audio system, you will have hiss. That's normal, and indicative of "all the issues went away."
We may be dealing in semantics here but white noise would be an indication that you're at the noise floor. Hiss is associated with problematic high frequency noise.
With the adaptermonster supply, as I move the supply around, change its orientation, touch it, and in particular move it closer to the mixer, it's own digital hash changes in amplitude. Grounding the mixer directly didn't affect it. No rf meter needed, thanks, it's radiating like crazy. None of that from the ungrounded Apple supply or the grounded Mackie supply.
I suggest that you check the model # and compare it with mine (see prior post). Moving it around and even laying it on top of the input section had no effect. You may have a different supply or a defective one. All I get is white noise which is slightly more than the lab supply which is certainly better than the Apple supply. Check the frequency content it may tell you a lot about the noise.
The model of the Roland powered speaker is MA-12C, but that makes no difference whatsoever. It was a constant in the system.

Always good to know the setup. It doesn't imply that they are the problem although they could be. I certainly only tested it with the C50 and 50ft. of RCA cable using Aux3.

nottooloud:
Yep, that part was semantics. The Apple supply gave me noise floor, and nothing else.

WK154:
Your supply is still defective if it is the correct part. Possibly a bad low voltage cable since it happens when you move it. Does it have a ferrite bead? The apple supply cannot function correctly since your overloading a chopper supply. No load control left unless it's way under specked. Once again is it the same part# that I have?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version