Unofficial Mackie User Forums > DL1608/DL806/DL32R/ProDX Mixers

Master Fader V3.0.1 is Here !

<< < (22/35) > >>

Keyboard Magic:
I certainly have never said that MF 3.X was crap. It needs a little tweaking to be sure. My comparison between 2.X and 3.X and TouchMix, were based on opening that app(s) and noticing a difference between them after 5 minutes or so. This was enough to show me that MF 3.x does have lag issues, compared to MF 2.X, which I’ve been using since it came out, with no visible lag. TouchMix responds just as fast as MF 2.1.1 on the same old iPad 2.

No app is ever going to be 100% perfect and I never expect them to be, but when an update demonstrates a visible lag in my opinion compared to the older version on the same iPad, there is certainly something going on to create it. AND when I install a competitor’s app that was just updated, on the same old iPad and it shows no noticeable lag on the same iOS and graphics, something is not quite there yet with MF 3.X. I’ve even installed the X32 app and the X-Air app, no lag or issues upon opening them up.

WK154:
KM then let me say it that MF3.x is a cobbled together piece of crap. This has taken advertising a step too far. Greg C. had it right a while back when he predicted that Mackie would dump the DL1608 with the next product. Well here it is. How about running competitors product for a year or better without noticeable lag, would that be good enough? It's time for Mackie to address the sync, lag and bundling problem without their usual BS and other excuses. Why is it that I have two versions of VoiceRecord without a problem on my iPad? What's wrong with MF16 and MF32 as apps? It's made even simpler by Apple since all Apps are sand-boxed. I've seen decisions made like this by companies before for product differentiation and they no longer exist or got a big black eye.  >:(

Keyboard Magic:

--- Quote from: WK154 on January 25, 2015, 05:36:15 PM ---KM then let me say it that MF3.x is a cobbled together piece of crap. This has taken advertising a step too far. Greg C. had it right a while back when he predicted that Mackie would dump the DL1608 with the next product. Well here it is. How about running competitors product for a year or better without noticeable lag, would that be good enough? It's time for Mackie to address the sync, lag and bundling problem without their usual BS and other excuses. Why is it that I have two versions of VoiceRecord without a problem on my iPad? What's wrong with MF16 and MF32 as apps? It's made even simpler by Apple since all Apps are sand-boxed. I've seen decisions made like this by companies before for product differentiation and they no longer exist or got a big black eye.  >:(

--- End quote ---

WK;
I have to agree with you and that this might indicate the end of support for the DL806/1608 platforms.  Many people have invested a lot of money in these and it’s sad it might happen. If you are on MF 2.X you’re safe, but no more updates. If you don't want to buy a new iPad or just stay on 2.X, that is. I can live happily on 2.X since everything works as it should. It’s not the end of the world. If you don’t have a backup of 2.X you have no choice to live with a slightly squirrely DL 1608/806 IMHO.

There are many that have no issues with a slight lag etc. That's great that it's a non issue. But for some, myself included, it's an annoyance that might just mess up a show in a critical moment. And thusly not acceptable.

My local music store no longer has the DL806 on their web site and the 1608 has been discounted $200 off the list price. Is the hand writing on the wall already here? Two versions of MF would make sense. SENSE? What’s that today?

Wynnd:
I think a lot of complaining goes on for fairly minor reasons.  It seems very obvious to me that Master Fader 3.x is a completely rewritten app.  (Which explains why it looks so different while looking familiar.)   Sometimes you've got to give software developers some credit for being willing to go back to the drawing board.  Pretty sure Mackie will eventually figure out someone made a real math call when an integer call would have been more appropriate.  (For calculating location to display the PEQ token.  That is a probable explanation for Modern to have the lag and vintage to not.)  Of course, maybe Mackie figured out the white noise was caused by integer math calls to the processor.  I don't know, but integer math has been around since the very first computers. 

Keyboard Magic:
I agree that it’s a total rewrite. But a lag, whether it’s not a big deal for most, is for quite a few here and out in the real world. It should be as responsive as 2.X. Nothing like trying to move a fader real fast in a panic, for some reason and it doesn’t hit the bottom until after your finger does. Or since you only use modern EQ for all your gigs and seeing and hearing your EQ change after you’ve physically changed the curve on the graph.

These things should all work within a reasonable amount of time, like following your finger very closely instead of a mile behind it. There was a minute (miniscule) lag with 2.X, but there is a noticeable lag with 3.X. Of course digital/virtual faders cannot compare to moving a real fader, but 2.X was pretty darn close in my opinion.

I would’ve jumped on 3.X and all its new features even for the DL1608. They’re great. But I’m glad I am able to stay on 2.X indefinitely. When the update comes out, I will be testing it on one of my iPads. If there’s no improvement, 2.X it is.

This is all based on perception as to what is a lag and what isn’t a lag. For some, no issues, but for quite a few there’s a perceived lag that should be and “eagerly hoping” that it will be addressed soon. Like I’ve said ad nauseum, I can happily go on in ignorant bliss using MF 2.X until the DL dies, but I am concerned for those here and elsewhere that are stuck with 3.X on the 806/1608 platforms who cannot go back.

I hope BenO and Mackie are watching and listening. Yes, I know that BenO said they are working on a “lag” cure, but I am not holding my breath. I do however have my fingers crossed for a quick solution.  :)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version