Author Topic: For all the naysayers,, I love this board  (Read 27405 times)

mtsens1

• Padawan
Re: For all the naysayers,, I love this board
« Reply #45 on: July 27, 2014, 05:19:24 PM »
Solution to what? I'm not having any issues. My first post a few above these stated what I liked about it. Just thought folks might like to know it's not all doom and gloom. From what I read, some of the problems some are having are when using it docked. I bought this so I could have the mixer controls in front of me on my mic stand while performing on stage. So for me, this is awesome. So that's my opinion and only contribution so far.

WK154

• Door #3
  • Master
« Reply #46 on: July 27, 2014, 05:56:07 PM »
Most of us here bought the DL because we liked it as promised. But when you buy a car and only get three wheels there's ample reason to complain. Don't confuse REALITY with doom and gloom. If you read more of what's posted you will find that we are making some progress to get this resolved. No one should be subjected to a company policy that ignores it's customers problems for over a year.  You did hear about the squeaky wheel that got the grease? How's you video problem coming we never heard about your solution?
« Last Edit: July 27, 2014, 06:01:34 PM by WK154 »
When in doubt KISS

mtsens1

• Padawan
« Reply #47 on: July 27, 2014, 06:04:05 PM »
Video working great. Using a zoom on a couple of aux's for audio, syncing with the camera in post. Camera has a bad habit with it's auto level cutting in and out, and no option to manually level. And read everything written on the problems, glad Ben is trying to sort out your issue, but the wheel still squeaking?  8)

WK154

• Door #3
  • Master
« Reply #48 on: July 27, 2014, 06:08:42 PM »
Squeaking yes but hopefully on another subject like new features. :)
When in doubt KISS

RoadRanger

• SysGod
  • Counselor
  • Master
  • "Wherever you go, There you are"
    • Cacophony Forums
« Reply #49 on: July 27, 2014, 08:06:59 PM »
Video working great. Using a zoom on a couple of aux's for audio, syncing with the camera in post.
Why not just record on the docked iPad? I don't think anyone has had a problem with it - I've gotten some phenomenal "direct to digital" recordings that way :) . It saves two conversions (D/A in the board and A/D in the recorder). Oh, and BTW most Canon camcorders have a line level input that can be manually controlled - even the lower end ones.
« Last Edit: July 27, 2014, 08:22:58 PM by RoadRanger »

mtsens1

• Padawan
« Reply #50 on: July 27, 2014, 08:13:34 PM »
I bought the mixer to be able to have the ipad control on my mic stand, not docking my ipad. Sure, I could use a second ipad and dock it and record on it, but I already have a nice zoom recorder, and don't have a 2nd ipad, and can spare the 2 aux's. If I ever need more aux outputs, I would use the wifes mini to record docked. I guess that's a nice feature with this design...many way's to skin the cat.

mtsens1

• Padawan
« Reply #51 on: July 27, 2014, 08:16:20 PM »
And, my canon does't have that feature, at least I could not find it. Additionally, I found I have more flexibility with camera position with not needing to run a cable from the mixer to the camera.

RoadRanger

• SysGod
  • Counselor
  • Master
    • Cacophony Forums
« Reply #52 on: July 27, 2014, 08:24:44 PM »
And, my canon does't have that feature, at least I could not find it. Additionally, I found I have more flexibility with camera position with not needing to run a cable from the mixer to the camera.
What model do you have? I usually run two cameras, one fixed at the FOH position.

mtsens1

• Padawan
« Reply #53 on: July 28, 2014, 12:56:46 AM »
Canon VIXAHF R40

WK154

• Door #3
  • Master
« Reply #54 on: July 28, 2014, 02:10:10 AM »
Video working great. Using a zoom on a couple of aux's for audio, syncing with the camera in post.
Why not just record on the docked iPad? I don't think anyone has had a problem with it - I've gotten some phenomenal "direct to digital" recordings that way :) . It saves two conversions (D/A in the board and A/D in the recorder). Oh, and BTW most Canon camcorders have a line level input that can be manually controlled - even the lower end ones.
No line inputs of any kind for audio, it's their way or the highway. Won't go near Canon again after they dropped the VL lens system in the dumpster. I spend over 5K back then on the L1 system the least they could have done was reuse the "state of the art computerized lens system".  >:(
« Last Edit: July 28, 2014, 03:06:16 PM by WK154 »
When in doubt KISS

RoadRanger

• SysGod
  • Counselor
  • Master
    • Cacophony Forums

mtsens1

• Padawan
« Reply #56 on: July 28, 2014, 02:03:11 PM »
Thanks! Note to others with this camera, when I did this with my camera, I had the camera set to auto, and the manual leveling does not come up as an option, only the audio scenes. You have to be in Programed AE mode to see that option. The manual doesn't really mention that.
« Last Edit: July 28, 2014, 02:25:28 PM by mtsens1 »

RoadRanger

• SysGod
  • Counselor
  • Master
    • Cacophony Forums
« Reply #57 on: July 28, 2014, 02:47:33 PM »
Both of my Canon's have a mic/line level selection that your camera seems to lack - so you might need an in-line attenuator :( .

WK154

• Door #3
  • Master
« Reply #58 on: July 28, 2014, 03:27:43 PM »
Both of my Canon's have a mic/line level selection that your camera seems to lack - so you might need an in-line attenuator :( .
IME consumer camera's are a guessing game on the external mic starting with the 3.5mm connector. 3 or 4 line input, does the camera provide bias voltage out  etc? You usually can't get an answer from tech support. I have a breakout cable just for this nonsense and meters. The 3 lines in the manual allocated to the mic input states a -64dBV at an output impedance of 600ohms or greater than 5K ohms. Meaning if no voltages are supplied by the camera to what typically is stereo electret mics (their add-on option) then with a line to mic attenuator you could possibly hook it to the two aux (or one if you combine in cable) outputs. Hooking aux direct of course overloaded the input and the noise you experienced is what I would expect. IMHO not worth the time. It also limits as you stated camera placement.
When in doubt KISS

Keyboard Magic

• Master
« Reply #59 on: July 28, 2014, 04:05:38 PM »
mtsens1:

My only DL purchase turned out to be a major fail, as I’m sure you’ve already read my novels here. But since using a newer one that our school purchased, I have had no issues what so ever. I run my iPad undocked, even when sitting next to the mixer. I tune the room/ run wirelessly with another iPad, or my iPhone, it’s been flawless for every event that I have done for the school. I am impressed.

Would I take another chance on buying another DL? That’s the $100,000 question ($1100.00 question in Toronto). With the possibility of flakiness happening again/ track record of reoccurring issues? Maybe not. But I will use the school’s DL anytime. But, I keep an analog mixer, A&H ZED10 onsite as backup just in case. I’d like to trust the DL 100%, but not yet. At least Mackie, aka: Beno is taking a proactive interest in customer satisfaction. That says something for Mackie.
"The bad news is time flies. The good news is...you're the pilot." ~ Michael Althsuler