Author Topic: The mackie DL1608 white noise saga continued..  (Read 78628 times)

iBloke

Re: The mackie DL1608 white noise saga continued..
« Reply #90 on: October 28, 2014, 03:59:28 AM »
I know that Music app has been modified for iOS8 has Tango and have you used it recently wired?

Yep it was updated on the 15th October but still only requires a minimum of iOS 5
Tango Remote with Up Next Queue by Blue Atlas Technology, LLC
https://appsto.re/au/I3iLu.i

And I'm using right now to make playlists on the docked ipad3. 
It also plays very nicely with my airport :)

pytchley

• Knight
« Reply #91 on: October 28, 2014, 01:33:10 PM »
IIRC iBloke stated that in one of the tests during "white noise" he pulled the ipad from the dock and the noise continued. This would seem to eliminate the iPad altogether except for the possible initiator of it. Where does that leave the DL? No matter what the source it's a Mackie product ergo a Mackie problem. Apple is definitely not going to solve it. For those with short memories....    http://cacophony.aspinock.com/index.php?topic=700.msg6820#msg6820
Not on my iPad3, white noise stops when I undock. No white noise with mini and apple adapter cable so far. I'm one of the "ten" by the way. It would be interesting to hear from the other "nine" who filled in Mackie's questionaire....see how many we really were.

WK154

• Door #3
  • Master
« Reply #92 on: October 28, 2014, 03:32:34 PM »
IIRC iBloke stated that in one of the tests during "white noise" he pulled the ipad from the dock and the noise continued. This would seem to eliminate the iPad altogether except for the possible initiator of it. Where does that leave the DL? No matter what the source it's a Mackie product ergo a Mackie problem. Apple is definitely not going to solve it. For those with short memories....    http://cacophony.aspinock.com/index.php?topic=700.msg6820#msg6820
Not on my iPad3, white noise stops when I undock. No white noise with mini and apple adapter cable so far. I'm one of the "ten" by the way. It would be interesting to hear from the other "nine" who filled in Mackie's questionaire....see how many we really were.
If that is indeed the case that by pulling the iPad stops the noise then that changes a lot of my assumptions. A buffer would only last a couple of milliseconds and I doubt if iBloke was that fast in shutting down his system to stop the noise. Don't know what to make of this yet. Yes you are one of the ten.
When in doubt KISS

Nottoodeaf

• Padawan
« Reply #93 on: October 28, 2014, 03:36:25 PM »
I am one of the nine.  Can't help though.  I bought an x32 Rack about a year ago and haven't used my DL since.  Weird thing is, I haven't sold it yet.  I keep thinking that if I use freelance engineer on one of my multistage events that it would be much easier for him/her to get up to speed on the DL....the GUI is still one of the most intuitive.
Does that have to be there?  Not anymore!

WK154

• Door #3
  • Master
« Reply #94 on: October 28, 2014, 11:12:23 PM »
We can always approach this from a more general point of view. The playback which occasionally causes "white noise" played back by various programs on a whole lot of other PA equipment AFAIK has no reported "white noise" issues. If you know of any let us in on the secret (provide the link). So it only and rarely happens on Mackie equipment. iPads or iPhones aren't the issue because by now someone would have had a problem with other gear and posted it. I found the problem, it's MACKIE end of story.
When in doubt KISS

robbocurry

• Optimist Prime
  • Master
« Reply #95 on: October 29, 2014, 01:18:14 AM »
We can always approach this from a more general point of view. The playback which occasionally causes "white noise" played back by various programs on a whole lot of other PA equipment AFAIK has no reported "white noise" issues. If you know of any let us in on the secret (provide the link). So it only and rarely happens on Mackie equipment. iPads or iPhones aren't the issue because by now someone would have had a problem with other gear and posted it. I found the problem, it's MACKIE end of story.
I think you're jumping the gun with the blame game here WK.
I'm not happy to let you be judge, jury and executioner of Mackie, just on your presumptions.
You're becoming very "JL like" in what is sounding increasingly like anti Mackie rhetoric.

IMHO there are simply too many variables for you to state "it's MACKIE end of story."

Because there are so many variables I won't say that Mackie definitely aren't to blame either.
Just because the white noise does or doesn't manifest itself in other equipment, does not necessarily mean that Mackie are at fault here.

Bear in mind people, before apportioning blame:

1. AFAIK Mackie released a product that had no white noise issue with the iOS available at the time.

2. iOS8.1 seems to have solved the "issue".

3. Different audio interface manufacturers have different design & construction (obviously).
An issue deep in an iOS version may or may not have a bearing on a particular piece of hardware.
If a problem does occur, it doesn't necessarily mean that the hardware is at fault (especially when considering point 1 above)

You cannot say definitively that Mackie are at fault any more than I can say they are not at fault.
WK, you are well respected here by many because of your accrued technical knowledge.
As they say, "with power and influence comes responsibility" ;)
Until you have hard data to back up your claims, perhaps you should qualify your statements with "in my opinion"?
« Last Edit: October 29, 2014, 01:39:30 AM by robbocurry »
The older I get, the better I was!

iBloke

« Reply #96 on: October 29, 2014, 02:17:33 AM »
It was a very early in my random experiments to try and find one particular thing that would recreate the white noise "on demand" and for the first few days I gave myself quite a few scares when random VERY loud blasts would happen without even touching the DL.

There was only one occasion in a moment of mad panic to stop the noise that I grabbed the DL and slid it away from the dock connector at the same time as frantically poking at mute buttons.

In hindsight there have been many times when the noise happened that I question myself as to whether the noise kept going for micro seconds after undocking on that one occasion simply because that was the only time I thought it happened.

Whether it did or didn't doesnt matter to me anymore because right now that same ipad 3 that stays docked, and without fail has been part of the noise blast dozens and dozens of times, has not produced one single incident since it's update to iOS 8.1 (previously 7.1.2).

So without having any technical knowledge I could simply point my finger at apple.
But then there are many other DL users that haven't updated to iOS 8.1 yet and are on the latest version prior to iOS 8 which is 7.1.2
If it was 100% the fault of apple then why are all these other iPad users not getting the noise issue?

If its an iPad hardware problem only affecting a few DL users, then why is my ipad 3 now "cured" ?

I just don't know, and don't really care anymore, as long as it stays "cured"  :)

WK154

• Door #3
  • Master
« Reply #97 on: October 29, 2014, 02:52:20 AM »
I think you're jumping the gun with the blame game here WK.
I'm not happy to let you be judge, jury and executioner of Mackie, just on your presumptions.
You're becoming very "JL like" in what is sounding increasingly like anti Mackie rhetoric.

IMHO there are simply too many variables for you to state "it's MACKIE end of story."

Because there are so many variables I won't say that Mackie definitely aren't to blame either.
Just because the white noise does or doesn't manifest itself in other equipment, does not necessarily mean that Mackie are at fault here.

Bear in mind people, before apportioning blame:

1. AFAIK Mackie released a product that had no white noise issue with the iOS available at the time.

2. iOS8.1 seems to have solved the "issue".

3. Different audio interface manufacturers have different design & construction (obviously).
An issue deep in an iOS version may or may not have a bearing on a particular piece of hardware.
If a problem does occur, it doesn't necessarily mean that the hardware is at fault (especially when considering point 1 above)

You cannot say definitively that Mackie are at fault any more than I can say they are not at fault.
WK, you are well respected here by many because of your accrued technical knowledge.
As they say, "with power and influence comes responsibility" ;)
Until you have hard data to back up your claims, perhaps you should qualify your statements with "in my opinion"?
Robbo let me remind you of the following and I haven't changed my mind.  http://cacophony.aspinock.com/index.php?topic=236.msg1194#msg1194
I am neither judge or jury certainly not executioner and I resent the "JL' comparison. It's however time for Mackie to fix THEIR problem and I hope they do. I have had many a discussion with BenO, far more than I have stated here regarding the DL, that I feel are private. This however does not give Mackie a license to ignore the customers that are experiencing this problem especially since Mackie has publicly acknowledged the problem. I am not as I stated many times before experiencing this issue. This makes my diagnosis dependent on other peoples input. Do you feel that it's tough luck for those that have experienced "white noise"? As to 8.1 having fixed the problem I feel it"s premature.  What I post here has ALWAYS BEEN MY OPINION what would change that? I have had "hard facts" that anyone else could verify but did Mackie correct their problem (pin one), NO. I tend to judge companies by their track record with me.
When in doubt KISS

iBloke

« Reply #98 on: October 29, 2014, 08:02:44 AM »

If its an iPad hardware problem only affecting a few DL users, then why is my ipad 3 now "cured" ?

I just don't know, and don't really care anymore, as long as it stays "cured"  :)

Ok I spoke to soon. I'm set up for a gig and have been running back ground music from the docked ipad, and it just spat the white noise for the first time in 3 days.

So not "cured" after all  :(

redwood

• Padawan
« Reply #99 on: October 29, 2014, 12:14:21 PM »
well that's a drag

FWIW beno said (with fingers crossed, his words) that it was fixed in MF3.0, coming out in November

iBloke

« Reply #100 on: October 29, 2014, 01:14:33 PM »
well that's a drag

FWIW beno said (with fingers crossed, his words) that it was fixed in MF3.0, coming out in November

I hope he's right.

I really thought the problem was cured due to the nearly 3 days, and tens of hours of music playback from the docked ipad 3.
It's never gone longer than an hour or two before. And sometimes it happened within minutes of booting up.

Oh well.. I've had a ton of gigs this past month and have a pocket full of spending money which may get thrown at a new iPad air + tray & lightning kit.

Or maybe at the very least an iPad mini tray kit so it can become the docked ipad. I've never once had a hiccup with it docked via the 30pin to lightning adaptor lead. (200mm apple branded)

It turned out to be a great gig tonight, despite the 20 seconds of embarrassing white noise which turned the heads of every punter in the pub until I finally reached the DL and shut it off.
I'm so glad I only had the background music set very low as it was dinner time  :-[

Keyboard Magic

• Master
« Reply #101 on: October 29, 2014, 02:29:56 PM »

Ok I spoke to soon. I'm set up for a gig and have been running back ground music from the docked ipad, and it just spat the white noise for the first time in 3 days.

So not "cured" after all  :(

Just when you think everything is okay...   :facepalm:  Let's hope MF3 with the firmware update is the ticket.
"The bad news is time flies. The good news is...you're the pilot." ~ Michael Althsuler

WK154

• Door #3
  • Master
« Reply #102 on: October 29, 2014, 03:55:13 PM »
well that's a drag

Where did you read that? Link if possible. I clearly missed that.
When in doubt KISS

redwood

• Padawan
« Reply #103 on: October 29, 2014, 04:02:05 PM »
well that's a drag

Where did you read that? Link if possible. I clearly missed that.
[/quote]

scroll down to read the conversation in the (different) topic here:

https://mackie.uservoice.com/forums/97035-dl-series/suggestions/3013706-add-virtual-subgroups-to-allow-group-processing-of

for the record I'm John Penovich
« Last Edit: October 29, 2014, 04:03:48 PM by redwood »

WK154

• Door #3
  • Master
« Reply #104 on: October 29, 2014, 04:29:22 PM »
Thank you John. BenO's answer leaves much to interpretation. He implies that he hopes it's fixed.

"beno (Admin, Mackie) commented  ·  October 16, 2014 11:38  · 

Fingers crossed, white noise is fixed in 3.0."

Had Mackie found the source and solution to the problem he would have been far less tentative "Fingers crossed". But we all hope it's fixed, I'm getting tired of hearing about it.
« Last Edit: October 29, 2014, 04:31:28 PM by WK154 »
When in doubt KISS