Author Topic: Question about Loading A Saved Show  (Read 9755 times)

gerenm63

• Knight
    • gerenm.net
Re: Question about Loading A Saved Show
« Reply #15 on: February 17, 2016, 01:47:50 AM »
Nice overview Dan! I would like to add one more thing for DL1608 users:

You can use the iPad's camera function to take a picture of the trim knobs. You can then create a photo album that is named after the band & venue, then place that picture in the album for a quick reference to where the inputs should be set. Once you've place the picture in the album, don't delete the picture from the camera roll, or it will be gone forever.

I'm more old-school than that. I take a snap of the trim knobs with my iPhone, and print the pictures out on 4x6 index cards. I write the band name and other notes on the card, and keep them in the case with the 1608.
Geren W. Mortensen, Jr.
Westminster, Maryland, USA

dpdan

• Dapper Dan
  • Master
    • kurysound.com
« Reply #16 on: February 17, 2016, 07:25:16 AM »
gerenm63,,, nothing at all wrong with old school,,, whatever works  :)

I used to take a pic of the trims on the DL1608 like Steve Garris does,
I used an app called "you doodle" from the app store ,,, it is $2.99 and worth every penny  :)

Here's one I just made

c172essna

• Youngling
« Reply #17 on: February 27, 2016, 10:40:59 PM »
Dpdan shared...  "You do have a "MUTE ALL" master don't you? I also have a mute named "BREAK". The BREAK mutes everything except break music and the lead vocalist's mic."

Dan (or anyone that cares to respond), yes I have a MUTE ALL set up. In setting up BREAK, what input would I select, in addition to the lead vocalist's mic, to include break music. As it stands now, I intend to play break music through a hard drive using Channel A.

dpdan

• Dapper Dan
  • Master
    • kurysound.com
« Reply #18 on: February 28, 2016, 09:20:22 AM »
when you say "from a hard drive using channel A"
I am a little confused... maybe you mean from the built in player in Master Fader...  ??? Or do you mean you have music on a USB jump drive?

I normally use break music from "Airplay" which is a feature of the Apple Airport Express router.
This router has a 3.5 mm stereo headphone jack that is connected to a couple of inputs on my DL32R.
Conveniently, the iPad's "Airplay" feature is set to stream it's iTunes music "wirelessly" to the Apple Express,
so when the band goes on break it is a simple tap of the "BREAK MUTE"
Music plays, and the lead vocal's mic is left on in case announcements need to be made and I am getting a Pepsi from the open bar and not being attentive.

Is that more confusing  ... :)

c172essna

• Youngling
« Reply #19 on: February 28, 2016, 12:46:41 PM »
Dan, yes I meant from the built player in Master Fader. That seems like a cumbersome solution, however, and your approach makes great sense.

My band is using an Airport Express with the DL32. Being an Apple family, we use Airplay in our home.

I assume the 3.5 ..stereo headphone jack you mentioned splits into two XLR male connections (a stereo left and stereo right) - is that right?

Thank you again for your patience as I work through this initial learning curve.

dpdan

• Dapper Dan
  • Master
    • kurysound.com
« Reply #20 on: February 29, 2016, 01:59:20 AM »

I assume the 3.5 stereo headphone jack you mentioned splits into two XLR male connections (a stereo left and stereo right) - is that right?

no XLR connectors since the stereo signal is unbalanced as is with all headphone outputs on TRS (tip-ring-sleeve) plugs.
I use a 3.5 mini stereo TRS that terminates to two 1/4" male unbalanced plugs, those plug into a pair of the convenient combo jacks 29 & 30 on the DL32R.
I then link those channels so they are on one convenient fader.

I use these Hosa cables because they are very reliable and available in a variety of lengths.

« Last Edit: February 29, 2016, 02:03:11 AM by dpdan »

c172essna

• Youngling
« Reply #21 on: February 29, 2016, 02:47:42 AM »
That makes sense. Thank you!!

dpdan

• Dapper Dan
  • Master
    • kurysound.com
« Reply #22 on: February 29, 2016, 08:36:43 PM »
happy to help  :)

Michael Welter

• Knight
« Reply #23 on: March 02, 2016, 07:47:20 PM »
I also use AirPlay for break music. However, too often, I can't afford to dedicate 2 channels to it on my DL32R. So I got a Radial Engineering PCDI that combines both channels into a single XLR out. It works perfectly for me, and doesn't use up 2 channels.
Mackie Junkie

sam.spoons

• Pint #2
  • Master
« Reply #24 on: March 02, 2016, 09:46:03 PM »
For anybody who doesn't fancy paying Radial prices for what is an expensive, though admittledy nice, piece of kit, John Godsland at Orchid Electronics made me a summing lead to use with a mono DI or Transformer isolator (I bought the latter as I already have several Orchid DI boxes). His versions are http://www.orchid-electronics.co.uk/micro.htm and http://www.orchid-electronics.co.uk/trans.htm. The cable cost £7, all posted to the UK (and he does post worldwide I believe).

RoadRanger

• SysGod
  • Counselor
  • Master
  • "Wherever you go, There you are"
    • Cacophony Forums
« Reply #25 on: March 03, 2016, 03:43:55 AM »

Weogo

• Knight
« Reply #26 on: March 04, 2016, 01:50:09 PM »
Hi Folks,

Dan's Y-cable suggestion is good and cheap.
It is not transformer isolated, but often this isn't needed.

Sam's Orchid suggestion is good.  John indeed makes good kit; I use several of the Mic-Mute boxes.  A muting DI box is also available.
Probably most any pair of transformer-based direct boxes will work fine, or a single unit that combines stereo to mono.
The Whirlwind IMCOML coimbiner is nice if you are going in to an XLR mic level input, as it doesn't cut the signal level as much as many other combiners.

RoadRanger, since that converter can do stereo or mono, it makes me wonder if it has resistors for the combining?
Probably a unit to be used only with short cables.

The Radial Stagebug 5 is a good unit that is simple to use.
Can do two track balanced out on TRS, or mono balanced on XLR.

Thanks and good health,  Weogo