Unofficial Mackie User Forums > DL1608/DL806/DL32R/ProDX Mixers

Opinion poll: Which brand inspires more confidence - Mackie or Behringer?

<< < (6/10) > >>

robbocurry:
Good story Jerry,
Breakdowns are a fact of life, it's the after sales service that counts.
Looks like Behringer US are a whole world apart from the Behringer service I'd experienced.
It must be five years since I'd any dealings with them.
Again, good story, ta:)

lightguy48:
I've got a bunch of old Behringer Gates, Compressors, EQ's, etc all still work great, never had an issue with them.  Same goes for a bunch of my Mackie mixers. 

Realistically I'm pretty much 50/50 on quality.  HOWEVER, when it comes to R&D Behringer is just SMOKING Mackie!  I'm seeing X32's everywhere, on national TV shows, Churches, Theatre's etc.  I have heard zero complaints about the mixer.  However, I hear nothing but complaints about the DL1608.  I really like the concept and think it's a decent mixer but when I saw iX16 and knowing about how the X32 is performing I about threw up in my mouth... just makes me sick to my stomach because I should have waited before buying my DL1608 to see what else might come on to the market! 

And yes it's technically vaporware at this point but if I put odds on Behringer releasing the iX16 vs Mackie producing some meaningful updates to the DL1608 I would completely bet on Behringer at this point!

cthesound:
I've only used Mackie mixers and have never had a failure. Though, I did notice a big improvement in the noise floor and overall sound quality when going from an SR24-4 to a Tascam DM24, at our church. The Mackie was much "darker".
I have used lots of Behringer and have personally experienced a few failures. Once, I had a Composer Pro in front of an amp for peak limiting and when I powered up the amp rack at a show, the speakers were JAMMING some real nasty sound and I about sh_t me drawers. (yes the amp inputs were up) Well, figured out that the levels were maxed on one of the limiter channels, from internal demons >:D. That was one of a few, not so fun experiences. And, I've had friends have similar happenings.
Burn me once, ok, burn me again and again, ok, I get it.
I do still use some Beh gear (mdx4600's for channel compression and deq2496 for delay/rta), but I won't be buying more, at least anytime soon.
I am falling into that line of thinking now with Mackie, too. The shortcomings of the DL, hard and softwares, will probably erase it from the market. Getting fixes for the poor design has really been hard to swallow.
But, until it's replaced...

CyberHippy:

--- Quote from: RoadRanger on April 17, 2013, 12:15:12 PM ---The early Mackie speakers were made (and mostly designed) by RCF in Italy and where top notch. Mackie then had Chinese copies made and sold those, not-so-good :( . That happened after Greg Mackie sold the company in 2003 :
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Greg_Clark_Mackie

--- End quote ---

Yep, I'll hold on to my old Mackie C300's until I die, they're invincible

I've been a fan of Mackie for years, especially the Onyx mixers.

Behringer I've had great luck with their rack mount gear & amps, but just about every one of their mixers I've laid hands on has some issue you "just have to work around" - having said that I'm very intrigued by their new digital lineup & the Midas connection. A friend is considering the X32 so I did some research & was very impressed with the design & functionality of the thing.

Greg C.:
To answer the question in the title, at least for me, neither brand truly inspires confidence. I've had enough field failures by both companies to warrant a "poor reliability" rating over the years. And add in lack of good support when there are problems to compound my distrust. There have been some solid performers though by both companies too though. For instance, I have Mackie SRM450s (the original RCF version) that haven't had any problems in over 10 years even after much abuse. And I've had some Behringer items that have lasted nearly as long. Given what's going on today, I'd have to say Behringer wins for now, as much as I loath to say that.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version