Unofficial Mackie User Forums > DL1608/DL806/DL32R/ProDX Mixers

Multitrack revisted

(1/4) > >>

Harpman:
So I already own a Focusrite 18i/20 and going to be purchasing a Focurite Octopre MK II.  All vocals and instrumentation will go to the Focusrite units and outputs will go to the input channels on the DL1608.  Prestaging all the gains on the Focusrite and zeroing out the DL1608.  Going to use Focusrite MixControl to send to my DAW and provide software control for recording.  The FOH and stage will still run off the Mackie.  Your thoughts?  I think this will work just fine.

Jerrylee:
The problem that I see is with the outputs. They are dependent on the daw. There can be an extreme delay. They can also crash with the daw. May be ok with recording because you can stop and start. But there is no forgiveness with live sound when a system crashes. The daw would need to be running the whole time and most were not set up to run this way. I have learned this through experience.

sam.spoons:
I'd split the mics off to the audio interfaces using Y cables so that if the DAW crashes the live audio is unaffected (I plan a similar setup next year with a Focusrite Pro 40 and a Behringer ADA8000).

CyberHippy:
It looks like it has a low-latency pass-thru mixer, so as long as the Focusrite is set up correctly you shouldn't have any issue with latency.

http://us.focusrite.com/answerbase/scarlett-mixcontrol-tutorial-0

Now that I see it I realize this is the same routing mixer I used in the play I just finished, they had an earlier model Scarlett interface with an old G5 PowerMac for the sound FX (mostly gunshot sounds) - worked like a charm every night.

Play was Les Miserables at local Junior College- amazingly challenging play, very rewarding. Three week run (Thurs, Fri, two shows Sat, Sun Matinee) after two weeks of rehearsals. 16 piece orchestra, 32 wireless channels for 38 actors, all of whom had solos so yes we did pack-switching during the show. Mixed on Soundcraft Expression 3 - "cues" were my friend - over 100 of them. Orchestra was sub-mixed on A&H board the school owns, but could have been done on the DL1608.

Harpman:

--- Quote from: CyberHippy on December 13, 2013, 03:43:21 PM ---It looks like it has a low-latency pass-thru mixer, so as long as the Focusrite is set up correctly you shouldn't have any issue with latency.

http://us.focusrite.com/answerbase/scarlett-mixcontrol-tutorial-0

Now that I see it I realize this is the same routing mixer I used in the play I just finished, they had an earlier model Scarlett interface with an old G5 PowerMac for the sound FX (mostly gunshot sounds) - worked like a charm every night.

Play was Les Miserables at local Junior College- amazingly challenging play, very rewarding. Three week run (Thurs, Fri, two shows Sat, Sun Matinee) after two weeks of rehearsals. 16 piece orchestra, 32 wireless channels for 38 actors, all of whom had solos so yes we did pack-switching during the show. Mixed on Soundcraft Expression 3 - "cues" were my friend - over 100 of them. Orchestra was sub-mixed on A&H board the school owns, but could have been done on the DL1608.

--- End quote ---

The reason I bought the 18i/20 was due to the low latency.  It also not software dependent so in the event of a system crash, etc., it will still be up and running (much like the DL console when the iPad crashes).  Latency does always scare me, so that's why I did my homework prior to the Focusrite purchase.  Before the Mackie and Focusrite, I had a Tascam US1800 (still have it) and a Behringer XL3200 board and tried the same scenario. What a nightmare that was.  The Tascam is terrible when it comes to latency, so I can relate to the other posters in regards to latency.

BTW, on another note, WK154 (William) and his wife are coming down to Temecula next week to catch one of Kepi's show.  They are going to meet us for lunch.  Looking forward to it!  Heard William was up in your neck of the woods a few weeks ago.  I lived in Mill Valley with my older brother (still lives there) back in the early 80's.  Spoiled on the Napa and Sonoma wines.  Love the RR Pino's!  Hope to make it up there this spring/summer.  I will let you know.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version