Unofficial Mackie User Forums > DL1608/DL806/DL32R/ProDX Mixers

DL32R - Live performance plus recording -- monitoring problems

<< < (2/2)

Wynnd:
I've only worked with one totally blind musician and one partially blind musician.  Amazing people, great to work with but the problems of virtual faders is obvious.  I hate virtual faders for theater groups.  They are OK for musical groups.  Sounds like you have the right approach.  How is the volume at the jam sessions?

Bhrighde:
Generally painful when everyone gets going.  The drums have actually been relocated to a different floor, so the overall level of the room is improved a bit, however, it now makes the monitoring much more important, as the drummer needs to hear the musicians and vice versa.

Wynnd:
Got to ask what should be a stupid question.  (My Wife is used to those.)   Are you using powered monitors?  or are you talking about in the ears with an amplifier or headphones with an amplifier?  While I've heard of the aux being able to drive headphones, it surely wouldn't be enough without some kind of EXTERNAL amp.  (Powered speakers of a good model should be just fine.)   

My own thought is to get the musicians to back the volume down and you might have to do a little of the same with the monitors.  Loud monitors get musicians playing loud too.  You want a mix of the music, not one or two people drowning everyone else out.  Lastly, if the musicians NEVER BACK DOWN after being asked to, the problem is no longer yours.  No sound engineer can cure all problems and louder isn't better.

dpdan:

--- Quote from: Wynnd on May 30, 2019, 01:45:33 AM --- Lastly, if the musicians NEVER BACK DOWN after being asked to, the problem is no longer yours.  No sound engineer can cure all problems and louder isn't better.

--- End quote ---

well said!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version