Unofficial Mackie User Forums > DL1608/DL806/DL32R/ProDX Mixers

A Sign of Things To Come?

<< < (4/6) > >>

ToH2002:

--- Quote from: WK154 on January 21, 2016, 11:53:21 PM ---Hope not this dumbed down Kindergarten mixer will never make it for serious work. I don't get it, they have a perfectly good platform to build on and now this?

--- End quote ---

Well, essentially, this is the mixing section of a FreePlay or a REACH respectively. May actually come in handy for small setups (simply connect an MP3 player and a microphone to my PA for a garden party without setting up the full-fledged DL 1608 with Wifi AP). But definitely will never compete with the DL series - different application scenario.

Horses for courses, I guess. They built the technology for FreePlay and REACH, now testing if there's a market for it without the P.A.. We'll see if people adopt it. I might actually get the smaller version for the typical "canned music & microphone" setting (sports events in my case) where my FreePlay is a bit too weak and I need to carry a more powerful active speaker. These mini-mixers with their click-and-turn interface will be simple enough to operate for most people at these events, where master fader is a bit too complex.

Cheers,

Torsten

WK154:
Well finally a price for the 4 input $199 and the 8 input $299 from the NAMM demo. Did Berry drop the price of the XR12 to $249 for this? The Mackie Website still has $259 and $389 for them respectively. So which is it Mackie? Also after reading closer and inferring there is only one method of wireless communication, Bluetooth. Unfortunately  a level III unit intended for Jawbone level use (30 ft.). For those unfamiliar with Bluetooth levels a III is 1 Meter, II is 10 Meters and I is 100 Meters. The least that they should have used is level II. For a higher quality sound capability they might have included Apt-X and certainly more than one receiver (speakers).

gerenm63:

--- Quote from: WK154 on January 26, 2016, 06:15:16 PM ---Well finally a price for the 4 input $199 and the 8 input $299 from the NAMM demo. Did Berry drop the price of the XR12 to $249 for this? The Mackie Website still has $259 and $389 for them respectively. So which is it Mackie? Also after reading closer and inferring there is only one method of wireless communication, Bluetooth. Unfortunately  a level III unit intended for Jawbone level use (30 ft.). For those unfamiliar with Bluetooth levels a III is 10 Meters, II is 30 Meters and I is 100 Meters. The least that they should have used is level II. For a higher quality sound capability they might have included Apt-X and certainly more than one receiver (speakers).

--- End quote ---

The prices have been on the B&H site for several days now. Not sure why this was a mystery. I quoted them here on the forum several days ago, I believe. As far as pricing on the Mackie web site, I can't find it anywhere. That said, there are often differences between the price a manufacture lists, and the actual "street" price.

Again, I think you're missing the point of these units -- the solo/duo/maybe trio, mixing from the stage. I do agree that the choice to use Bluetooth 3 was a mistake, but not because of range. Bluetooth 4 has been available for development for close to two years now, and BT 4 hardware has been available for over a year. Bluetooth 4.2 would have easily allowed for multiple simultaneous connections for control and bi-direction audio at high quality levels. As a bonus, BT 4 also would have allowed a range of 100-150 feet.

Multiple audio paths via Bluetooth, frankly, would be fantastic if it were reliable. I'd love to be able to eliminate all those pesky speaker cables from the stage (of course, there would still have to be power cables run out to each speaker, so that may be a moot point).

WK154:
I think Mackie missed the point not me. If they are targeting the Solo, Duo, Trio stage act they forgot the external foot-switch control. For those wanting to have someone walk about with their phones to control the mixer from the audience the 30 ft. range misses the mark. Distance has little to do with version #. I discussed the Bluetooth marketing scam elsewhere in this forum and won't repeat it here. I've been using BT since V1.2 and also others with success including multiple units. The limited amount of control from the "Pro" surface makes it questionable. You get far more control with more phone choices with a lower priced XR12 than the ProDX-8. FYI here is Mackie's pricing and I didn't imply it was a mystery.  Since it's not on the street we don't have a street price.
 http://mackie.com/live/mackie-introduces-prodx-wireless-digital-mixers
Nice Synth the Roland especially for the price.
Cheers

WK154:
If you want to see someone that hit the mark for Solo, Duo, Trio or composers look at this.
http://www.keithmcmillen.com/products/k-mix/
If I where in that category the K-mix would be worth it.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version