Unofficial Mackie User Forums > DL1608/DL806/DL32R/ProDX Mixers

My First Impressions with MF 3.X and the DL1608. If You're Interested?

<< < (5/6) > >>

robbocurry:

--- Quote from: Rdmitch on February 08, 2015, 11:37:10 AM ---I guess the moral of the story is to always be prepared for the worst.
Know how to do a quick reboot and don't go into a panic mode.
Just like other systems there can be glitches that can happen.
I had power issues all the time with my PreSonus board that took about 20 seconds to reboot.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

--- End quote ---
Quite right about always being prepared.
One of the most maligned features of the DL are the manual gain pots, truth be told, I find them useful for gigs with no iPad! Only kidding, over the past two years of ownership, being able to grab the pots during a gig has been useful , especially when iPads couldn't connect. The girl in the band isn't afraid to give my knob a turn if I'm not singing loud enough. A very user friendly technique. 
Power problems with my Presonus 16.4.2 made me dump it for the DL. It used to give me the occasional shock, great for waking me up👍😉

Wynnd:
As a bassist and keyboard player, I've found the overemphasis of bass to be a bad move in general.  Knowing that people don't hear things exactly the same, I find too much bass to intrude on the midrange instruments.  I also find too deep a bass tone to become too indistinct to still seem like music.  That is my reason for using DBC.  I did check DBA a couple of times last night too.  That was about 100.  Yes, I find that a bit loud for jazz.  Note that I was about 40 feet in front of the band.  Room was nicely dead but the dance floor was bare and the right wall was glass with a deck on the other side.  (Nice view, 3rd floor.)   And I have Audio Tools app in my iphone with the internal mic.  That's pretty close to accurate to about 115 dbc.  (Also has a RTA) 

Keyboard Magic:

--- Quote from: robbocurry on February 09, 2015, 02:23:06 PM ---
--- Quote from: Rdmitch on February 08, 2015, 11:37:10 AM ---I guess the moral of the story is to always be prepared for the worst.
Know how to do a quick reboot and don't go into a panic mode.
Just like other systems there can be glitches that can happen.
I had power issues all the time with my PreSonus board that took about 20 seconds to reboot.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

--- End quote ---
Quite right about always being prepared.
One of the most maligned features of the DL are the manual gain pots, truth be told, I find them useful for gigs with no iPad! Only kidding, over the past two years of ownership, being able to grab the pots during a gig has been useful , especially when iPads couldn't connect. The girl in the band isn't afraid to give my knob a turn if I'm not singing loud enough. A very user friendly technique. 
Power problems with my Presonus 16.4.2 made me dump it for the DL. It used to give me the occasional shock, great for waking me up👍😉

--- End quote ---

"The girl in the band isn't afraid to give my knob a turn if I'm not singing loud enough. A very user friendly technique."  At least there's one lady in the band. All the bands I played in were all guys.  :(

Getting back on track... Like you mentioned the manual gains work just fine and can get you out of a small problem now and then. It was the lure of digital trim that kept crooking it's finger at me to give 3.X a go. Sure, they don't replace recallable gains, but I think they could be helpful when you can't run back to the mixer. I'm still an OLD fashioned fader jockey from way back at heart though. Hell I still prefer analog gauges in my vehicles. When I buy a new vehicle I always look to make sure it has at least a tachometer and Temp gauges.  :)

I had, a long time ago a Traynor (now Yorkville Sound) all tube/valve amp head with spring reverb and a bad habit of giving me a nice AC buzz everytime I touched the back of the chassis. Thank goodness all controls and switches were on the front panel.  :lol:

Rdmitch:
Wynnd..glad you gig went off with no unforeseen problems. I think I'm just the eternal worrier that always plans on the worst thing happening.
I think KM hit,it on the head with the positive energy spin.. If I only carried what was needed I could eliminate the van which my wife refers to as the mobile storage locker.
We all have about 100 wires we carry that never leave the boxes, along with added boards power amps, monitors it's no wonder the music stores love us.
 Luckily no gigs this week, but 2 next week with 2 new bands, so I will have a chance to pre-write the program and make up the wiring charts.  Do any of you use or know a good app for making wiring charts that are editable ?

Keyboard Magic:

--- Quote from: Rdmitch on February 10, 2015, 12:46:37 AM ---Wynnd..glad you gig went off with no unforeseen problems. I think I'm just the eternal worrier that always plans on the worst thing happening.
I think KM hit,it on the head with the positive energy spin.. If I only carried what was needed I could eliminate the van which my wife refers to as the mobile storage locker.
We all have about 100 wires we carry that never leave the boxes, along with added boards power amps, monitors it's no wonder the music stores love us.
 Luckily no gigs this week, but 2 next week with 2 new bands, so I will have a chance to pre-write the program and make up the wiring charts.  Do any of you use or know a good app for making wiring charts that are editable ?

--- End quote ---

Hi Rdmitch,

Thanks about the positive spin  :thu: I still do overkill with wires and audio patch cables, ie: 4 mic gig and I bring the whole box of mic cables, about 20.  ::) Either I may need a backup or just don't want to empty the box to actually take what I need plus 1 or 2 backups. :facepalm: Then I walk into my local music store and the first place I go to look at are mic and patch cables to see of there's new toys, oiy. We all do it I'm afraid, whether we have the money to buy and the space to carry it.  ;)

I don't know of an app for creating wiring charts and I'm interested too. What's the phrase today? "There's an app for that" ??  :)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version