Unofficial Mackie User Forums > DL1608/DL806/DL32R/ProDX Mixers

Gain Structure ?

<< < (3/3)

musicman7722:
WK154  :thu:

Thank you for confirming what I have learned over the years.  I adjust the trim as I go slowly bringing it up during the the first gig to where it barely hits read on a loud passage, then leave it alone unless something radical changes.  Kick and snare are the most obvious instruments for that.

Also I agree with IEM ans my Sennheiser G3 has it built in and adjustable.  I just wanted to make sure nobody reading this thought my issue might have been the comps.  I spoke to my guitar player and he said his son was quite upset.  I let him know I would apologize at the next gig for the sake of peace and harmony.  He is mixing us again this weekend but using a mixer with real nobs and faders which he prefers.  I have a splitter snake so he will not be touching my rig.  Funny you would think somebody so young and new to the trade would be psyched to get hands on with wireless digital but he wants to use a beat up mackie 24 channel board that is used by 5 bands a week.

Oh well.  Can't teach an old and sometimes a new dog tricks.

TY Again

WK154:
Clip on the DL is at 21dBu (0 dBFS measured with scope and steady sine wave signal) but the clip light triggers at -6 dBFS or 15 dBu (measured) not what the manual states (-3dBFS). Most of what I measured music wise runs 12 dB crest factor or less, that leaves at minimum another 3 dB before clip. What puzzles me is that the basics were apparently missed in audio school and it's not going to change with the analog mixer. There was a time where the Mackie mix bus section of the analog circuit would clip prematurely and it necessitated cutting preamp gain, until it was fixed in a later model. Certainly not a mixer to learn on. Proper gain structure it seems is a difficult concept to get across.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version