Other Digital Mixers > Behringer X-Air

X18 X18R X16R X12R Details & Video

<< < (86/86)

gerenm63:

--- Quote from: RoadRanger on April 09, 2016, 10:09:28 PM ---And why are you thinking about moving way from the DL1608?

--- End quote ---

Looks like you added this after I answered the first part ....

The biggest reason is that I can't remotely control the input gain. Having the "trim" is okay, but if someone suddenly starts clipping a preamp, no amount of digital trim is going to stop them from actually clipping. That's really the biggest reason.

Still wondering about my original question though -- if I use an external WiFi router, is there still a limit of 4 remote devices?

WK154:

--- Quote from: gerenm63 on April 10, 2016, 12:39:34 PM ---
--- Quote from: RoadRanger on April 09, 2016, 10:09:28 PM ---And why are you thinking about moving way from the DL1608?

--- End quote ---

Looks like you added this after I answered the first part ....

The biggest reason is that I can't remotely control the input gain. Having the "trim" is okay, but if someone suddenly starts clipping a preamp, no amount of digital trim is going to stop them from actually clipping. That's really the biggest reason.

Still wondering about my original question though -- if I use an external WiFi router, is there still a limit of 4 remote devices?

--- End quote ---
As long as you don't use the XR's DHCP server (by  way of static IP or external DHCP servers) you can exceed this limit until the XR's run out of steam.

RoadRanger:

--- Quote from: gerenm63 on April 10, 2016, 12:39:34 PM ---The biggest reason is that I can't remotely control the input gain. Having the "trim" is okay, but if someone suddenly starts clipping a preamp, no amount of digital trim is going to stop them from actually clipping. That's really the biggest reason.
--- End quote ---
One thing you can do is to set the digital trims on the DL1608 to +6 or +12 db and set the physical trims lower so if you start to clip you can go in and lower the digital trims 8) . The Behringer mixers (and others AFAIK) actually "fake" having continuously variable remote trims by using a coarse "stepped" electronic gain in combination to a continuous digital gain (just like the DL1608 has). Heck, crank them up to the full +20db - I doubt you'll hear any decreased bit resolution or increased noise...

sam.spoons:
I may be wrong about this but I assumed the physical gain controls on the DL1608 were analogue (it makes no sense for them to be otherwise) and, thus, continuous.

I don't know what the resolution of the digital gains on the X32 are but the display shows around 4 'steps' per dB. An 8 bit word length controlling the DCA in the analogue preamp (again I'm assuming that's how it's done) would allow 0-255 'steps' or four steps per dB of gain over a 0-60+ dB range. I'd consider that acceptable......

RoadRanger:
Those 4 steps per db aren't "real" - the "real" analog DCA's have something like 3db per step and the finer control is emulated in the digital domain. AFAIK no-one has observed any downside to using the full 20 db of digital trim available in the DL1608. I think the TRS only inputs on my XR12 only have two "real" steps (according to the block diagram?) and the rest is "emulated" - works better than expected IME.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version