Unofficial Mackie User Forums > DL1608/DL806/DL32R/ProDX Mixers

Wireless streaming to the DL1608

<< < (4/8) > >>

BlendedMix:

--- Quote from: Jerrylee on May 04, 2013, 12:58:16 PM ---
--- Quote from: RoadRanger on May 03, 2013, 12:42:24 PM ---What part didn't work for you?

Also keep in mind that if you are forced to use the school's wireless network that anyone on it with an iOS device can download the Master Fader or My Fader app and control the DL1608 - it has zero security built-in and normally relies upon being on a secured private wireless network :( .

--- End quote ---

I'm a little, ok a lot, confused about this statement. "Zero security built in"? Then what the heck do you call a password? And if their are tech savvy people out there that know how to hack into the express do you really think they are going to waste their time to hack your router, download the Mackie app, and the mess with your board? Do you really think people are that interested in messing with some random band who happens to be using a Mackie dl, or any other iPad controlled board? Seriously?

--- End quote ---

While I completely agree with what you're getting at, it was VERY clearly explained to me by the school's tech department as to why it's a valid concern.  They take a stance of "If it possibly COULD happen, then we have to assume that it WILL happen."  For kids 4th grade age, it's a low likelihood for sure, but not impossible by any stretch if the thing had completely open access.   

In fairness, when I mentioned that it could be password protected, they were at least responsive to that, but then the head guy submitted that by just having another visible network showing on local devices, the confusion would cause unnecessary tech calls when they should be dealing with more pertinent issues.  In other words..."We're not doing ANYTHING that is going to potentially make more work for us."  That's why I'm investigating the 5g option at this point as the most viable one until that gets shot down, and then the AudioEngine will be next.   

The big fear, and I get it, is that there not be any pathway for anyone to get a hold of the school records.  The trick is for me to get a solution TO THEM and approved quickly so we can have it all tuned up and ready for the year end talent show.  That's when it will make it's first impression, and if it stinks...well, that won't reflect very well on me.   :(   

WK154:
Have you found out if they are using the 5 gig frequency? It's easy just use the iPad or any other computer that's dual frequency compliant and search for sources (802.11N or AC stations). Then see if they are using it.
"The big fear, and I get it, is that there not be any pathway for anyone to get a hold of the school records"
Gee where have I heard that scare tactic before? Of course anyone could walk up to a school computer and install Logmein or a similar program and have at it. What you have to have admin privileges, REALLY!! Oh but you can hook into the school system with your laptop? There are way to many holes in the schools security environment You'd be surprised what 5th grader can do. My position is quite simple but requires an educated staff. Use your network for teaching your subject matter and provide an INTRANET not a babysitting INTERNET on campus. The  Library could have a tightly controlled Internet access for student research. That of course would mean work for the staff to replace the paper crutch. The control of what you can get at the school would be the 21st Century equivalent of Gutenberg and concentrating on the subjects, screened by the teachers. Let the kids deal with the Internet at home. Don't even mention this to the tech staff they'll go ballistic. Welcome to our education system. Third World country anyone? Some schools in China are using two iPads, one at school one at home and synchronizing over the Internet. See this here anywhere? Don't get me started on this subject.
"In fairness, when I mentioned that it could be password protected, they were at least responsive to that, but then the head guy submitted that by just having another visible network showing on local devices, the confusion would cause unnecessary tech calls when they should be dealing with more pertinent issues"
REALLY kids are allowed to search for other sites and servers and connect or try to? Head Guy huh! Thanks IBM more FUD (inventors of Fear, Uncertainty and Doubt).

RoadRanger:

--- Quote from: Jerrylee on May 04, 2013, 12:58:16 PM ---I'm a little, ok a lot, confused about this statement. "Zero security built in"? Then what the heck do you call a password?
--- End quote ---
The DL1608 is NOT password protected.

Jerrylee:
RR I just had to re read the posts to figure out what you meant. I thought you were referring to the airport express. Didn't realize what exactly was going on. You meant if the op had to use a school networked router, because they are not allowing him to use the express, then the dl would be opened to others gaining access.

RoadRanger:
^ Yup :( .

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version