Unofficial Mackie User Forums > DL1608/DL806/DL32R/ProDX Mixers

DL1608 Architecture Notes

<< < (3/3)

WK154:
I skipped that one and went from the 8008 to the LSI-11 (DEC) and 6800 but I get it. :thu:

RoadRanger:

--- Quote from: WK154 on January 14, 2014, 12:55:09 AM ---I skipped that one and went from the 8008 to the LSI-11 (DEC) and 6800 but I get it. :thu:

--- End quote ---
Oh yah, did a lot with those LSI-11, mostly data acquisition. Did up a little boot ROM that let them load programs from the "big" PDP-11 (w/ a couple big arse 5 MB disk drives?) we had via their current loop serial ports and send the data back the same way. Those "balanced" current loops worked OK for 1000 feet or more over telephone pairs!

WK154:
Yep I'll never forget those current loops the cause of one of my trips to Oak Ridge National Labs in the heart of Tennessee. Siemens had sold a SRS1(X-ray Florescence Spectrometer)  and one of my Logic controllers to them so I got a call from one of their bright Engineer saying that it wasn't working. The computer was 4000 ft from the equipment and it wouldn't communicate and he used the best cable. Well that trip I'll never forget. From Newark to Atlanta and off to Oak Ridge on a Goonie bird (DC3 for those to young). Yup we had a stewardess and no doors, metal bucket seats but seat belts. The pilot announced that he was going to make a few stops on the way and if nothing else drop off some mail. Well needless to say we took a few passes at some of the runway's but the fog was a little thick and hanging in the treetops. Mailbag bombs away. We missed a few stops but did get to the destination. Coffee, Tea and help me but a nice view of the tree tops. The boring part was that the Engineer used shielded twisted pair so nothing would interfere with the signal. We couldn't see the equipment (probably a little hot, Plutonium anyone) but unshielded did the trick along with the uneventful trip back to Atlanta.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version