Unofficial Mackie User Forums > DL1608/DL806/DL32R/ProDX Mixers

DL 32R using hard drive for backing music

<< < (3/13) > >>

Kev tyler:
Yes mate I am 99% in agreement with you, however I don't see the usb memory stick going anywhere soon, unless you are suggesting we are goung to lose the USB ports on our gear too?

I would have thought firmware update by usb and audio input by usb would still be the safest option on all our gear for quite a while to come, I hate the idea of the router going down in the middle of an update, even my Sony telly tells me not to interupt the router etc.

It worries me to be honest.

Cheers

Kev

Wynnd:
With everything going WiFi, I sure wouldn't bet on USB ports being on any laptop in 10 years.  And I don't use the optical drive on my MacBook very often anymore.  (Except for downloading music for my senior's shows.   Glad I got them to stop bringing me cassettes.)   I would be watching Apple for dropping USB ports first.  They have been quickest to run away from technology that's dying.   (I watched them run from 5.25" floppies and then drop the 3.5" floppies.  They've hung onto Firewire a bit longer, but theirs actually works as intended.  They were slow to adopt the USB 3 standard, but I suspect that had more to do with competing with Firewire and Thunderbolt.  Both technologies they developed.) 

Keyboard Magic:
When I was looking for my new laptop, I was hard pressed to find one that even had an optical drive.  :eek:  I guess you just have to use an external CD/DVD USB drive in that case. At least they're not obnoxiously expensive to purchase these days. But if and when the CD/DVD is phased out, what then? Cheap portable large capacity SSD Drives? Actually SSD's make more sense, I think. Now if Apple would let you connect a portable storage device without an adapter to your iPod/iPad, that would be nice.  ;)

Wynnd:
Seeing that I use my ipad more often then my MacBook when out of the house, the external connection would be good.  On the other hand, I like the small case I put the ipad mini in.  It's my go to for motorcycle trips now.  It takes up about 1/8th the space of my laptop case.

gerenm63:

--- Quote from: Wynnd on March 23, 2015, 02:36:56 PM ---Seeing that I use my ipad more often then my MacBook when out of the house, the external connection would be good.  On the other hand, I like the small case I put the ipad mini in.  It's my go to for motorcycle trips now.  It takes up about 1/8th the space of my laptop case.

--- End quote ---

I haven't carried a laptop in months. When my big Acer died, I replaced it with an iPad Mini. I've since moved up to an Air 2, but I don't miss the laptop at all.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version