Author Topic: Master Fader 4.0 Released!  (Read 31057 times)

pytchley

• Knight
Re: Master Fader 4.0 Released!
« Reply #60 on: February 14, 2016, 09:46:31 AM »
It seems to have gone very quiet here.

So, still fairly content on MF3 here for the reasons specified, any danger of developments that might tempt me onto 4? I've had a play and it's got some useful additions but not enough to update an iPad for.

Maybe everyone's gone back a version. MF4's too risky for me. Shame, I'm already missing the improvements.

shufflebeat

• Padawan
  • XXL
« Reply #61 on: February 14, 2016, 09:51:29 AM »
Maybe they're working on a great new reverb and can't be distracted by small details -  that'd be fair enough.

MrDOS

• Padawan
    • Weekend hobby site
« Reply #62 on: February 14, 2016, 10:08:51 AM »
I'm using MF 4 every weekend -- very happy camper here!
Live sound/recording engineer, videographer at WoodlawnSound.com
SQL Server DBA
Bass Player

pytchley

• Knight
« Reply #63 on: February 14, 2016, 10:15:09 AM »
I'm using MF 4 every weekend -- very happy camper here!

Do you record and use playback?

Wynnd

• Master
« Reply #64 on: February 14, 2016, 02:21:42 PM »
Used record once.  No problems.  There are a lot of reasons I won't be going back to MF3.  Biggest one is the ability to copy a channel and propagate it.  That's a huge time saver for me. 

pytchley

• Knight
« Reply #65 on: February 14, 2016, 02:55:35 PM »
Used record once.  No problems.  There are a lot of reasons I won't be going back to MF3.  Biggest one is the ability to copy a channel and propagate it.  That's a huge time saver for me.

I agree that MF4 has quite a lot of very useful features. Your one successful recording is all very well, my unsuccessful one was a f**king disaster as was the sudden massive distortion on playback at another gig. Unacceptable I'm afraid. Anyone prepared to take these sort of risks with their clients cannot be taken very seriously, sorry Wynnd, and I'm talking to you Beno as well.

Rdmitch

• Knight
« Reply #66 on: February 14, 2016, 03:17:55 PM »
I use both versions and actually like MF4 and have had no problems with it.
However, I do not use if for recording or playback.

For all you that use it for the recording function, I hope they work out the issues so you can feel confident in the new app.
Your never to old to learn something stupid

MrDOS

• Padawan
    • Weekend hobby site
« Reply #67 on: February 15, 2016, 05:01:00 AM »
I record every show, and play back .WAVs on the same external for break music.

Other than the annoyance of the playback defaulting to "play once" (see enclosed screen shot) all has worked without issue.

I use DL32R, iPad Pro and a 2GB WD My Passport external drive.
Live sound/recording engineer, videographer at WoodlawnSound.com
SQL Server DBA
Bass Player

pytchley

• Knight
« Reply #68 on: February 15, 2016, 09:43:28 AM »
I record every show, and play back .WAVs on the same external for break music.

Other than the annoyance of the playback defaulting to "play once" (see enclosed screen shot) all has worked without issue.

I use DL32R, iPad Pro and a 2GB WD My Passport external drive.

Not the same setup. I'm using a 1608 which uses an ipad for recording/playback not a hard drive like your DL32. In a previous reply Beno tried to blame Apple for my problem, WK154 didn't agree. I do hope Mackie are looking into this (as well as working night and day on a new reverb!!!). I've given up relying on the DL for recording and invested in a Tascam DR-40 4 track recorder. Seems a very nice and inexpensive machine and at last I can add some live ambiance to my board recordings to make them actually usable.

shufflebeat

• Padawan
  • XXL
« Reply #69 on: February 15, 2016, 10:17:13 AM »
I've done a few recordings using the Focusrite "Tape" app (dl1608, iPad3, mf3) and they've been great. Export to "Final Touch" for tidying up, then out to Dropbox, works well.

I haven't recorded with Hokusai from the DL but I've used it on other projects and the editing/export is great.
« Last Edit: February 15, 2016, 10:34:56 AM by shufflebeat »

pytchley

• Knight
« Reply #70 on: February 15, 2016, 10:27:07 AM »
I've done a few recordings using the Focusrite "Tape" app (dl1608, iPad3, mf3) and they've been great. Export to "Final Touch" for tidying up, then out to Dropbox, works well.
Sorry, not made myself clear. My problem is with MF4. Also the recording I made was very long, 2H40mins. The first 1H16mins was fine, after that the rest was one word looping all the way to the end.

shufflebeat

• Padawan
  • XXL
« Reply #71 on: February 15, 2016, 04:19:55 PM »
Got it.

Does MF4 restrict the use of 3rd party apps or do you think the issue is specifically within MF before recording? (assuming there is a "before" now that we're largely non-linear).

pytchley

• Knight
« Reply #72 on: February 15, 2016, 05:48:29 PM »
That's an interesting point, I hadn't thought of recording with an external app. I imagine it's still possible in MF4.

Wynnd

• Master
« Reply #73 on: February 15, 2016, 05:49:20 PM »
I was also wondering if you ran out of memory on your ipad.  the 16 GB ones usually don't have much extra space.  If you did, then at least MF4 kept you from losing all of it.  (Which would be an improvement.)

pytchley

• Knight
« Reply #74 on: February 15, 2016, 06:16:34 PM »
I was also wondering if you ran out of memory on your ipad.  the 16 GB ones usually don't have much extra space.  If you did, then at least MF4 kept you from losing all of it.  (Which would be an improvement.)

No, 12gb left free afterwards and that endless loop (of the word continue!) took up all the space that the recording would have done.