Author Topic: Phonic acapela  (Read 23549 times)

WK154

• Door #3
  • Master
Re: Phonic acapela
« Reply #15 on: August 01, 2013, 02:57:57 AM »
Something doesn't add up. The company has a significant array of products and certainly covers a world market. Yet the IS16 manual looks half finished ( in black and white for a color display) and with no mention of HTML5 except for one advertising brochure. There would be no need for an iPad app if access is the browser. S ooh there's the rub? US support is questionable but the market can't be ignored.
When in doubt KISS

WK154

• Door #3
  • Master
« Reply #16 on: August 03, 2013, 09:19:28 PM »

RR:
 From the Harmony Forum it sounded like you were really into the Phonic albeit the prior one S16. So what would be your recommendation on the IS16 as opposed to the DL1608 or X32 rack other than their lack of presence or their crappy manual?
When in doubt KISS

RoadRanger

• SysGod
  • Counselor
  • Master
  • "Wherever you go, There you are"
    • Cacophony Forums
« Reply #17 on: August 03, 2013, 11:34:18 PM »
The IS16 has some advantages, but I have not had a chance to actually use one remotely. I'd choose the X32 Rack first at this point. I'm hoping the next DL1608 firmware brings us all much joy :) .

WK154

• Door #3
  • Master
« Reply #18 on: August 04, 2013, 04:06:28 AM »
Here is my problem with Behringer software. They're still using some graphics library from 10-15 yrs. ago. Fixed window size really! I asked Uli about this but he hasn't replied. Phonics on the other hand got it right if it's a full control of the console (a copy of the built-in screen which it seems to be). Forget the iPad app who needs it anyway use Safari. I do more studio than live work anyway so there are other benefits like a VGA screen and mouse and PC tablets. They also claim that they upped the performance over the S16. Trying to not do more impulse buying again. Nothing more to do on the DL other than selling it or redesigning it for them (a no-win situation).
When in doubt KISS

charles123

• Initiate
« Reply #19 on: August 06, 2013, 03:18:02 PM »
The Phonic Acapela is a new board and is just about ready to be released here is what i know about it.
 12 mono XLR mic/line inputs plus 4 combo (XLR/TRS) inputs
 Internal digital sampling rate up to 48 kHz in 24-bit resolution
 Detailed GUI interface visible on external monitor (not included)
 Software controllable using either wired or wireless USB mouse
Wireless control through iPad, Android tablet or Windows/Mac computer
 4-band parametric EQ and adjutable delay on every input and output channel
 21 dynamic processors (gates, expanders, compressors, limiters) available on input channels, multi outputs and main mix
 Two stereo digital effect processors with 8 effect types, up to 9 variable parameters and numerous preset programs included; EFX 1 offers 3 reverb effects, each with 8 variations and adjustable parameters
 4 aux and 4 group mixes assignable to multi outputs
 +48V DC phantom power activated through user interface
High quality 24-bit AD/DA converters offer extraordinary dynamic range
 Wireless operation through Wi-Fi connection or ethernet wired connection
 Save and instantly recall scenes at the click of a mouse
 Processing accomplished through a high quality 40-bit floating point digital signal processor
 VGA D-Sub output: 1024x768p@60Hz (XGA)

WK154

• Door #3
  • Master
« Reply #20 on: August 06, 2013, 05:04:38 PM »
Sounds like a DL killer to me. Now they need to fix their US organization. And the price should be below or on par with the DL. A lot of the wish list for the DL is already there. Size should be on par with the DL.
When in doubt KISS

grant_phonic

• Initiate
« Reply #21 on: August 07, 2013, 03:41:05 AM »
Someone sent me an email telling me about this thread so I thought I'd make a comment or two. First off, full disclosure, I work for Phonic. RoadRanger would remember me from the Harmony Central board (or maybe not, I don't know).

The Acapela is on it's way, but won't be in stores for at least a few months. We just released the ad early to give people a heads up, I believe. I'm not the one who placed the ad. The price is set for that particular model (as shown in the ad), we just don't have an exact release date set.

The IS16 remote iPad software is only a minor indication of what to expect from the Acapela software. It will have a similar overall design. The Acapela will, of course, feature a lot more controls through the iPad that aren't offered on the IS16 remote app. If you've used an IS16 or a Summit, the Acapela will offer all of the same signal processors (EQs, dynamics, delay, EFX) - these can all be controlled with the iPad or using a mouse and monitor. The IS16 remote, you'll notice, neglects a couple of these.

Also, with regards to the IS16's HTML5 control, this is actually gone after the latest firmware update. The update essentially swaps HTML5 for iPad compatibility. They're still working on expanding this to other tablets too.

I apologize if any of this sounds like marketing speak, I'm just trying to clear up what's going on with the product. But if you've got any questions, don't hesitate to send us an email through our help desk or post something on our facebook page. I'll also try and come back from time to time to answer anything else that pops up in here.

WK154

• Door #3
  • Master
« Reply #22 on: August 07, 2013, 05:42:54 AM »
Thank you grant_phonic for the clarification regarding HTML5. I was about to place an order for the IS16 unfortunately it was based in part due to HTML5. I think Phonic made a huge misstep in removing it.  Now your just another iPad lock in.
When in doubt KISS

RoadRanger

• SysGod
  • Counselor
  • Master
    • Cacophony Forums
« Reply #23 on: August 07, 2013, 11:55:33 AM »
I have to say that way back when Phonic first announced they were looking to use HTML5 for device independence that I doubted that the performance would be acceptable. So there's no surprise here that they had to "go native" to compete.

WK154

• Door #3
  • Master
« Reply #24 on: August 09, 2013, 03:28:06 PM »
In my experience and many of my clients applications using HTML speed is not the issue, size may be. Very obvious in an intranet environment (no Internet delays). In Phonics case it may even be that they lost their HTML implementer (personnel problems seem to abound in this outfit). Good programmers in this area are hard to find and demand salaries above most. I heard the same speed arguments regarding fixed window graphic packages ( Behringer). Back in the early days ('70) of Unix you wrote the programs then analyzed them for performance (tools existed for this) and you rewrote the crappy code. This seems to have been lost on the current crop of programmers with automatic performance analyzers that sometimes work and the good ones are pricey. Bloat-ware is the norm these days with object oriented code.
When in doubt KISS

WK154

• Door #3
  • Master
« Reply #25 on: October 27, 2013, 07:40:38 AM »
Well the manual is out no app yet in app store but a ship date from several dealers suggests mid November still at $749. The PDF manual is available on their web site. The feedback prevention didn't make it to the unit, maybe later. Subgroups and more flexible routing and metering than the DL. Signal generator included. Controlled via Display/keyboard mouse or tablet. Returns and repairs thru dealers. Looks like a DL knockoff with a better price.
http://www.phonic.com/en/acapela-16.html
The manual is hard to find without signing up with Box. Here it is:
https://phonic.app.box.com/users-manual/1/286690741

I forgot to mention that it comes with the following:
"dynamic processors and robust effect engineers"
I've never meet one of these guys.  :lol:

« Last Edit: October 29, 2013, 07:24:01 PM by WK154 »
When in doubt KISS

RoadRanger

• SysGod
  • Counselor
  • Master
    • Cacophony Forums
« Reply #26 on: October 30, 2013, 03:22:47 AM »
The manual is hard to find without signing up with Box. Here it is:
https://phonic.app.box.com/users-manual/1/286690741
Thanks! As I've mentioned I own a Phonic Summit/S16 so am quite interested in the Acapela - even though the misspelling of "a cappella" is a bit of a turnoff as is the fact that I'm still waiting for a (last?) promised update to the Summit/S16 that will be available "any day now" for the last two years or so x( .

RoadRanger

• SysGod
  • Counselor
  • Master
    • Cacophony Forums
« Reply #27 on: October 30, 2013, 03:53:30 AM »
Looks like all the Phonic digital mixers have their aux sends post dynamics which makes them suck compared to the DL1608 with the its V2.0 firmware (any day now?). Also the Acapela only has 4 monitor sends. It does have individually selectable phantom but still has manual trim pots. Looks like it can record any two channels to a computer - but only two. In any case the Behringer iX16 looks like it kills it but it has been delayed for a redesign - they are adding to its presently announced functionality so it will really be worth the wait!

WK154

• Door #3
  • Master
« Reply #28 on: October 30, 2013, 03:55:56 AM »
I hear you but that's what makes forums invaluable for those that even know that they exist. Hopefully here you get a better picture of what you're buying into and get answers to some problems. Damn this thing sounds good and Mackie may have to reduce their price. For me I have a different criteria for the next buy if my current full X32 (studio usage) and the yet to be bought X32 rack and my current S16 will handle the gigs that I'm trying to cut back on big time (or kill it all together and not buy the rack).I really don't want to learn another mixer. The DL will be on the block (Xmas present time). For the next 2 weeks I'm working hard on retirement ALOHA. No d... mixer better find me there. My neighbor AMT Systems has had the Convention Center covered for at least a decade so and I'm in the audience for a change. I turned up the heat on Uli a bit (he gets paid the big bucks for that) on the phantom iX16. Waiting for a reply.
When in doubt KISS

WK154

• Door #3
  • Master
« Reply #29 on: October 30, 2013, 04:12:42 AM »
Looks like all the Phonic digital mixers have their aux sends post dynamics which makes them suck compared to the DL1608 with the its V2.0 firmware (any day now?). Also the Acapela only has 4 monitor sends. It does have individually selectable phantom but still has manual trim pots. Looks like it can record any two channels to a computer - but only two. In any case the Behringer iX16 looks like it kills it but it has been delayed for a redesign - they are adding to its presently announced functionality so it will really be worth the wait!
From the manual all aux sends can be pre or post and with a choice of sequence on  Dynamics, eq's, delay. The DSP  process is broken up into 3 distinct operations individually selected and sequenced. The aux are really 6 two being fixed stereo (CNTRL Room out).
« Last Edit: October 30, 2013, 04:15:21 AM by WK154 »
When in doubt KISS