Author Topic: Recording live performance with DL32R  (Read 3282 times)

jneau

• Youngling
Recording live performance with DL32R
« on: September 29, 2015, 07:05:51 PM »
Using the DL32R for the first time this weekend and just started looking into the recording.

My question is: Should I record straight from the mic-pre's or should I go post-DSP?

And to answer that, I think I need to better understand the difference.  Please correct me on this:

Mic-pre is the signal after gain, trim and polarity but before EQ, gate and compression...and also before the channel fader and without effects.
Post-DSP is then right after EQ, gate and compression...but still before the fader and without effects.
Is that correct?

I would assume the benefit of going off the mic-pre's is that the DSP you applied for live sound might not be ideal for a recording...so that gives you the opportunity to mess with the unaltered signal.  The other thing is if you are going to use the "soundcheck" feature, you don't want double DSP going on.

RoadRanger

• SysGod
  • Counselor
  • Master
  • "Wherever you go, There you are"
    • Cacophony Forums
Re: Recording live performance with DL32R
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2015, 05:21:40 PM »
Yep, it's most common to go pre-DSP so that you don't get "stuck" with your live settings...

WK154

• Door #3
  • Master
« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2015, 10:12:22 PM »
I would say that it depends on your reason for recording. If it's for post production it's what RR suggested. If it's to hear what you're presenting to the audience it's the FOH mix L&R and other gear depending on your setup.
When in doubt KISS

lotb60

• Youngling
« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2015, 03:35:14 AM »
If I'm not mistaken, recording on dl32 is always pre everything and is not selectable. Straight off the gain. Or am I missing something?

Topsøe

• Knight
« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2015, 08:00:42 AM »
If I'm not mistaken, recording on dl32 is always pre everything and is not selectable. Straight off the gain. Or am I missing something?
You can route as you desire pre , post dsp or outputs
If in doubt ask

orkneyandy

• Initiate
« Reply #5 on: October 30, 2015, 08:13:18 AM »
Sorry, forum noob here. Hope I'm not hijacking this thread. I'm looking to get a DL32r, (wife permitting), and the recording live gigs feature is huge.
Some of our gigs are small enough that we don't need to mic the drums.
Would it be possible to mic them anyway, have them muted in the FOH mix but still record them? Hope that makes sense!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Weogo

• Knight
« Reply #6 on: October 30, 2015, 03:15:45 PM »
Hi O Andy,

Yes, it is very easy to do what you want.
Simply don't turn the Drum channels up in the house mix.

Thanks and good health,  Weogo

orkneyandy

• Initiate
« Reply #7 on: October 30, 2015, 09:30:15 PM »
Cheers, mate!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Fluddman

• Knight
« Reply #8 on: October 30, 2015, 11:51:47 PM »
If you are recording to give a band an idea of what they sound like live, I usually get better results using a simple recorder like a zoom H2 out front in the room.

Otherwise you need to explain that the recording from the desk is not going to be same as the sound in the room.

Cheers

Artaudio

• Padawan
« Reply #9 on: November 08, 2015, 01:58:38 PM »
I always like to add a couple of audience mics to get some room sound. Plus I put them really close to the FOH speakers (pointing towards the audience of course) just so I don't have to delay them in the final mix down.