Unofficial Mackie User Forums > DL1608/DL806/DL32R/ProDX Mixers

What's the big deal with lack of 16 channel recording?

(1/4) > >>

yigba:
Maybe I'm missing something.

Just do your mix on an aux and send that to an outside recorder. A 16 channel mix - done.

sam.spoons:
The issue is with 16 channel multitrack recording not just 16 channels down to stereo (which the DL does just fine with a minor workaround). All the competitors (Presonus, Behringer X32, X18, etc,) have this feature.

CyberHippy:
What Sam said.

To elaborate: when mixing live, you are dealing with the room as well as the basic balance of the tracks. Mixing through aux is a decent workaround, but even then you have bleed-through on your headphones that affects the quality of the mix. If you can multi-track record the show, you can re-mix it later for a better balanced final mix - something you might even be able to release as an album.

I tell bands I'll give them a board-mix recording of the show (this weekend I got it working right again, yay!) - most of them understand what that means.

yigba:
Understood.

But I would think a little trial and error would get your mix where you want/need it to be.

BTW - my first digital mixer and I love it, warts and all.

Jerrylee:
Even in million dollar recording studios the tracks are mixed after the actual recording. So I doubt a little trial and error would get you what you want. Even the ability to mix multitrack recordings in live shows may not give you exactly what you want. But, it sure would be closer.

Yigba, the only place I kind of side with you here is that the dl1608 has no, and will never have, multitrack capabilities. So anyone here asking for it, or complaining about it, has the wrong mixer.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version