Unofficial Mackie User Forums > DL1608/DL806/DL32R/ProDX Mixers

Will 1st generation iPad work with current Master Fader app?

(1/6) > >>

paulfrench:
My band is about to buy a new Dl 1608 and I'm wondering there are any issues using an original 1st gen iPad with the most up to date software. It will remain in the dock, and I'll be mixing the band from the stage without a lot of adjusting throughout the night. So, should we get a used iPad 1, or is it worth paying a little extra to get an iPad 2?

RoadRanger:

--- Quote from: paulfrench on February 12, 2014, 01:52:13 PM ---My band is about to buy a new Dl 1608 and I'm wondering there are any issues using an original 1st gen iPad with the most up to date software. It will remain in the dock, and I'll be mixing the band from the stage without a lot of adjusting throughout the night. So, should we get a used iPad 1, or is it worth paying a little extra to get an iPad 2?

--- End quote ---
Personally I think the price difference between a used "1" and "2" isn't enough to not get a "2" especially as a "1" can't be updated to the latest iOS - and last I knew a new "2" isn't much more than a used "2", YMMV .

robbocurry:
Yes an "iPad 1" works but is a little slow in operation. I still use one but it seems to work better undocked IMHO.

paulfrench:
Thanks for the helpful feedback guys. I know there were some issues people were having with the earlier versions of the app and the 1st generation iPad. Sounds like they've fixed many of them. I downloaded the Master Fader app onto my iPad Air, and it looks like the DL1608 is gonna be a nice upgrade from our MixWizard. I'll be using the Air for pdf sheet music and daily use, and plan to leave the other docked in the 1608.

Wynnd:
I moved from a MixWiz to the DL1908 for several reasons.  First, it's lighter and at 60 I'm trying to lighten up my load.  Second, the ability to save shows and recall them.  That's very useful when I not only mix my band, I also mix discussion panels, political speeches and rallies and I do a Senior's variety show every year that I'm looking forward to mixing from the audience.  (By the way, I've found it much easier to live with when you default to syncing with the mixer instead of syncing with the ipad when turning everything on.  Then if you need to change, it works fine.)   The MixWiz is faster to make Aux volume and channel EQ changes.  I'm not at the point where that's been a problem, but speed might be a limiting factor for using with my Senior's show.  (I do a lot of bringing mics in and out throughout the show.  It will be interesting.)   I was ready to sell my MixWiz, but might decide to keep it instead.  (As a secondary mixer to go with the DL and my Alesis Multimix16 Firewire recording mixer.)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version