Unofficial Mackie User Forums > DL1608/DL806/DL32R/ProDX Mixers

Feedback quandary

<< < (8/9) > >>

Greg C.:

--- Quote from: WK154 on July 21, 2013, 03:41:15 AM ---Real experience and NO Monday morning quarterbacking. Contribute or be gone.

--- End quote ---

Me? I've been doing it real world for years.

WK154:
DpDan more observations: The open mic problem with pickup of drums can be addressed with the gate, of course mute on the channel will do the job. Done successfully with automatic mixers all the time and referred to as NOM (number of open mics). This when properly set should eliminate the drum pickup problem and also reduce potential feedback. It can also in Mary's case be a problem since she's all over the place with loudness cutting her in and out when too soft (below the set threshold). Voice lessons from an opera trained instructor and mic technique training would do wonders. A headset mic may help as well. I get the impression reading thru your explanations that the compressor lowers the sound level when activated but it really doesn't it only reduces the increasing level by the ratio set. When you drop below the threshold the compressor is out of the way. Even when nearing the threshold compressor effect is hardly noticeable. A 3 dB difference is considered noticeable by the ear. It also does not provide any kind of delay other than a few hundred usec for processing and certainly not noticeable by the ear. Again 3000 usec + before good hearing can pick up any difference. Hope this clarifies some of the explanations.

lightguy48:
I think the problem people run into is running the compressor on the microphone where it's in a constant state of gain reduction.  Then as stated by other posters the operator starts raising the channel output to get the vocals back in front of the mix or raising the make up gain on the compressor.  This can be made even worse if the threshold is set so low that the on stage volume is coupled into the vocal mic contributing to some of the compression.  When the band stops and the threshold is no longer reached in effect the gain of the mic has been raised by so many db.  It's not a problem with the compressor, it's a problem with the usage.

I typically run my mic compressors where they're kicking about 25-50% of the time, basically on peaks.  I don't like the 'squashed' lack of dynamics sound

dpdan:
wk,
you're preaching to the choir

WK154:
Depends on the choir.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version