Author Topic: iOS 7.1.1 a DL killer?  (Read 13883 times)

Wynnd

• Master
Re: iOS 7.1.1 a DL killer?
« Reply #15 on: May 07, 2014, 07:58:08 PM »
So the real answer is that ios 7.1.1 isn't a DL killer. (At least for most of us.)

ijpengelly

• Knight
  • Weekend Warrior
« Reply #16 on: May 11, 2014, 12:02:59 PM »
I did the update, and the issue I was having with docked synching seems to have been resolved, so for me  :thu: all good  :D

Keyboard Magic

• Master
« Reply #17 on: May 11, 2014, 07:27:32 PM »
So been going over some of the old posts about iOS updates causing many of the similar issues that I experienced with my 7.1.1 update. Very interesting indeed that iOS updates look like they have been at the centre of DL headaches for some of us for some time. Has this been a trend for an unlucky few ? Is this a Mackie or Apple miscommunication problem? Someone not sharing important data with someone else?

From the older posts it sure looks to me like I'm not the only one that got pooched with doing an iOS update. Someone (we know who   :facepalm: ) needs to play catchup regarding future updates. The DL while it worked was a damn good easy to use, great sounding mixer. Master Fader had a very short learning curve too. Maybe Apple just doesn't like sharing everything with Mackie?  Hopefully the next master fader update may smooth out some issues. I know, just don't update your iOS. If it ain't broke don't fix it.  ;)

End of Rant
"The bad news is time flies. The good news is...you're the pilot." ~ Michael Althsuler

Keyboard Magic

• Master
« Reply #18 on: May 12, 2014, 04:50:11 PM »
Please ignore the last post. If you checked my others posts in "Jumping into the DL..... etc etc. You will see that I have been emailing with Mackie over this issue (Ben Olswang in particular) Here's an excerpt that proves my assumptions about iOS causing the issues, mine in particular, so wrong.

1st email: "We have had no reported issues from thousands of users with iOS7.1.1. It has been out for some time and we have tested it fully with Master Fader. I’d obviously like to know more about the problems you discovered but I don’t believe they were caused by iOS7.1.1."

And last email: " Sounds like a hardware issue with the mixer. Maybe the dock connector itself. "

WK154 responded kindly to me about these Mackie issues, and this response from Mackie to me proves he was right. The bribe is in the mail.  ;)
« Last Edit: May 12, 2014, 04:54:53 PM by Keyboard Magic »
"The bad news is time flies. The good news is...you're the pilot." ~ Michael Althsuler

WK154

• Door #3
  • Master
« Reply #19 on: May 12, 2014, 07:14:58 PM »
Make that a case of Clos Du Bois Cab. :) The traditional defense is to put the opposition into offense (start a fire in their camp). Ben has been around AFAIK since Greg Mackie's time and is clearly a survivor. Don't loose sight of who your dealing with. I've been dealing with him (in the Mackie Forum days) and more recently with Tech support with mixed or no results.
When in doubt KISS

abzurd

« Reply #20 on: May 12, 2014, 07:23:49 PM »
Please ignore the last post. If you checked my others posts in "Jumping into the DL..... etc etc. You will see that I have been emailing with Mackie over this issue (Ben Olswang in particular) Here's an excerpt that proves my assumptions about iOS causing the issues, mine in particular, so wrong.

1st email: "We have had no reported issues from thousands of users with iOS7.1.1. It has been out for some time and we have tested it fully with Master Fader. I’d obviously like to know more about the problems you discovered but I don’t believe they were caused by iOS7.1.1."

And last email: " Sounds like a hardware issue with the mixer. Maybe the dock connector itself. "

WK154 responded kindly to me about these Mackie issues, and this response from Mackie to me proves he was right. The bribe is in the mail.  ;)

Very clever reply. Perhaps not lying, but not exactly being transparent either. Maybe no issues with 7.1.1 that WEREN'T ALREADY THERE with previous versions, but I've already had their support admit to me that they can repeat some of the errors I've reported. The loss of connection is a well known problem.  I know people with is, there are some here who have reported it, and I've read about others with the problem on Facebook. I myself reported the connection and "pink noise blast" issues, along with supporting video, several months ago.

Keyboard Magic

• Master
« Reply #21 on: May 12, 2014, 07:49:56 PM »
So you may get a DL that works most of the time, or you may not? Was it just chance that my DL started becoming unstable after 7.1.1 update to ipads? Actually scratch that, it looks like a good bet that it was a combination of hardware and software.

So you may get a DL that works or one that's full of bugs. I guess iOS is fairly stable  ??? running on iDevices, sort of  ::) most of the time, but try to communicate with other "iOS" or non iOS hardware is a gamble? I've had success with iOS and other USB 1.1 non digital mixers for 2 track audio recording. Is a digital mixer that depends solely on the iPad for operation, really ready for prime time? I guess Behringer and QSC may have gotten it right.

abzurd

« Reply #22 on: May 12, 2014, 08:01:14 PM »
So you may get a DL that works most of the time, or you may not? Was it just chance that my DL started becoming unstable after 7.1.1 update to ipads? Actually scratch that, it looks like a good bet that it was a combination of hardware and software.

So you may get a DL that works or one that's full of bugs. I guess iOS is fairly stable  ??? running on iDevices, sort of  ::) most of the time, but try to communicate with other "iOS" or non iOS hardware is a gamble? I've had success with iOS and other USB 1.1 non digital mixers for 2 track audio recording. Is a digital mixer that depends solely on the iPad for operation, really ready for prime time? I guess Behringer and QSC may have gotten it right.

It's a slick concept, but between the fingers in dyke, the ones pointing at each other as the source of the problems, and the middle ones pointing at the user in the form of no fix for the problems, I guess it's understandable Mackie has been all thumbs.

Jerrylee

• Cruise Guy
  • Moderated
  • Knight
« Reply #23 on: May 12, 2014, 08:02:04 PM »
I said it before and I'll say it again. Stop docking your iPads! Problem solved. All you lose is iPad playback channel and direct to iPad recording. How many of you complaining about the issue must have the iPad docked?

Yes it is a problem, and probably a combination of hardware and software. It should be figured out. But until you move on to a better mixer you need to work with what you have. KM, get the rack and be done with your debate.

abzurd

« Reply #24 on: May 12, 2014, 08:05:01 PM »
I said it before and I'll say it again. Stop docking your iPads! Problem solved. All you lose is iPad playback channel and direct to iPad recording. How many of you complaining about the issue must have the iPad docked?

Yes it is a problem, and probably a combination of hardware and software. It should be figured out. But until you move on to a better mixer you need to work with what you have. KM, get the rack and be done with your debate.

I took this advice  8)

Keyboard Magic

• Master
« Reply #25 on: May 12, 2014, 08:42:31 PM »
Jerrylee,

Sorry you feel that way about this debate, but I did get the hint.  I didn't have to have the iPad docked, but that's what the dock is for. I ran my DL wirelessly every time I used it. It only crapped out with the iPad inserted. I am considering moving on, since I have  just put a deposit on a new QSC Touchmix 16. Doesn't mean I am going to buy it yet when it is finally to market though.  ;)

Jerrylee

• Cruise Guy
  • Moderated
  • Knight
« Reply #26 on: May 13, 2014, 02:26:50 PM »
The qsc will probably flop like the line 6 m20. The x product line is a huge hit and will be around for a very long time. Behringer is putting a hurting on a lot of competition. I know a ton of pro companies, local and national touring band, in mutiple countries, that have all gone the x route. This is why I keep telling you to get the rack and be done with it. It is a phenomenal piece of kit. What it offers, especially at the price point, is incredible.

Wynnd

• Master
« Reply #27 on: May 13, 2014, 10:21:35 PM »
And are you sure you aren't being paid by Behringer?  Generally they only hurt other companies competing for the bottom feeders.   They've never hurt anyone building high end products.  I doubt that any of their speaker products has hurt even JBL.  (And they aren't even on the high end of speaker producers.)

WK154

• Door #3
  • Master
« Reply #28 on: May 13, 2014, 10:51:31 PM »
Line 6 is owned by Yamaha and QSC's has been in the making for 4 years and I've never seen them fail on anything. Good luck on your prediction JL. :)
« Last Edit: May 13, 2014, 10:55:45 PM by WK154 »
When in doubt KISS

Jerrylee

• Cruise Guy
  • Moderated
  • Knight
« Reply #29 on: May 14, 2014, 03:15:23 AM »
Line 6 was not a big failure too. Until the m20. And I have a ton of qsc equipment. The mixer is just not up to the challenge of its closest competition. And wynnd the x32 line has been on tour with dozens of national acts, and many high end audio companies. And do you not think it replaced their high end mixers? The answer is it sure has. There is a big company here in Florida called freelance. They have replaced almost all their high end mixers with x32s. I was actually shocked they did. And other people are following suit. You need to do some research.

And we are talking about mixers not speakers. Stay on track.