Author Topic: dl1608 overheat  (Read 3607 times)

iwerica

• Youngling
dl1608 overheat
« on: April 10, 2016, 04:49:39 PM »
hy to all.
i already seen a topic about dl1608 heat problem,but it looks like it didint get much attention (impo).

so, i am using dl1608 last 2years with coolpad  below it,and i get it reasonably hot..
last time i forgot to use coolpad. i did whole gig,without any problem... but when i tried to store dl in his rack, it was too hot! so i started to worry.
does more people have same problem?
i am using it in europe,croatia, at 220v. maybe in usa it doesnt get any heat...?
do you use some sort of power conditioners or something else?

looking fowar to hear some solutions...

gerenm63

• Knight
    • gerenm.net
Re: dl1608 overheat
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2016, 10:41:51 PM »
I've not noticed any heat problems with mine, but when it's on, I'm always sure to keep at least a couple of inches (5cm) clear all around the DL1608. It's also usually at least 20-30 minutes before during teardown before I get to the point of putting the mixer back into its case, so it has plenty of time to cool down.

I'm in the US, 120V 60Hz, but that shouldn't make a difference as the external power supply should be putting out 12V DC (I think that's the voltage) regardless of the input.
« Last Edit: April 10, 2016, 10:43:31 PM by gerenm63 »
Geren W. Mortensen, Jr.
Westminster, Maryland, USA

Keyboard Magic

• Master
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2016, 12:28:48 AM »
I think any device like this using convection or just passive air cooling (no internal fan) gets warm with use. My 1608 gets quite warm to the touch, mostly on the bottom, after a while of being powered on, but never so hot you can’t touch without getting burned.

I worried about it the first time I ever used it and thought about getting a laptop cooling pad for it. Never did, but it’s still running just fine. Just like Geren mentioned, I do leave lots of space around it so the air can move around the unit though.

Unless yours gets intolerably hot, there should be no worries. A laptop cooling pad is always a good idea though, just the same, if you have concerns. An ounce of prevention never hurts.  :)
"The bad news is time flies. The good news is...you're the pilot." ~ Michael Althsuler

Rdmitch

• Knight
« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2016, 08:56:57 PM »
Honestly, I never even thought to feel the bottom after use. I will next time , but in 3 yrs I have never noticed
any excess heat around the unit. I have had it both in a road case flat and rack mounted.
Now it's in a flat case, but I do raise the back up about 4" to better get to the inputs which may help.

I will check it this weekend
Your never to old to learn something stupid

dpdan

• Dapper Dan
  • Master
    • kurysound.com
« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2016, 02:00:13 AM »
my 1608 used to get pretty warm, but not warm enough to be concerned,,
« Last Edit: May 02, 2016, 05:29:15 AM by dpdan »

Keyboard Magic

• Master
« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2016, 12:43:17 PM »
Smokin!!!!! Probably playing too much AC/DC (I know, ugh!)

Never ever saw a speaker cook like that! Wow!  :o
« Last Edit: April 12, 2016, 12:47:16 PM by Keyboard Magic »
"The bad news is time flies. The good news is...you're the pilot." ~ Michael Althsuler

dpdan

• Dapper Dan
  • Master
    • kurysound.com
« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2016, 04:47:10 AM »
AC/DC  that was good !  ;D

iwerica

• Youngling
« Reply #7 on: April 13, 2016, 03:46:35 PM »
ok,as I see, no one has problem like me, that i do not dare to use dl1608 anymore without some sort of cooling pad...
probably my dl has some problem,becouse i dont belive it is normal to work at such temperatures.
i always leave place around dl,and place him at some flat surface but still...
I hope dl wont let me down at crucial moments...and i wont play any ac/dc music anymore

Keyboard Magic

• Master
« Reply #8 on: April 13, 2016, 05:28:35 PM »
ok,as I see, no one has problem like me, that i do not dare to use dl1608 anymore without some sort of cooling pad...
probably my dl has some problem,becouse i dont belive it is normal to work at such temperatures.
i always leave place around dl,and place him at some flat surface but still...
I hope dl wont let me down at crucial moments...and i wont play any ac/dc music anymore

Hey iwerica,

I think that if you are worried about the heat with your DL, a cooling pad may help. If when you go to touch the unit and you immediately pull your hand away so you don’t get burned, then there is a problem with your DL overheating. If it gets that hot, or you feel it’s too hot, I would get in touch with Mackie with your concerns just the same. They may be able to help in some way.  8)