Author Topic: X18, has the true DL killer finally arrived?  (Read 33259 times)

WK154

• Door #3
  • Master
Re: X18, has the true DL killer finally arrived?
« Reply #15 on: January 24, 2014, 04:03:33 PM »
Here is an overview of the x18 and a source of the pricing.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sFavQZYvB9g

Notice the interviewer asks if there is any way to power the ipad from the mixer and the guy gets all squirrely and says "no, not as of now, we just have it sitting right here".... then doesn't take a breath before moving on to "additional features".

So can't power the ipad, can't dock the ipad (if you could they'd be sure to mention it). So super, they have built in wi-fi, but you have to drag along a PC and connect via ethernet to be sure you can mix. And I will bet money it's 2.4 Ghz only. Again, they'd mention it if it did 5 Ghz.

So no, not a Mackie killer in my eyes. .... I just wish the DL could multi-track. (and didn't have the bugs it does).
As I've mentioned before the devil is in the details which we don't have yet. Making ass-u-me-pitons is silly at best. The features that are important to you may be irrelevant to others. Where is the plug for the Airport express or some other AP on the DL? I guess that's a tradeoff then. What is however significant is that this is the second mixer in the under $800 price range something Mackie will have to address once the units ship. This will of course be a while but it will happen. You will have to admit that it has more features than the DL some of which will be deal-makers for others. As to the "Killer" aspect Mackie doesn't need any help in that department their doing just fine by themselves with their service responses.
« Last Edit: January 24, 2014, 04:14:17 PM by WK154 »
When in doubt KISS

abzurd

« Reply #16 on: January 24, 2014, 04:48:48 PM »
Meh, that's what forums are for when discussing vaporware  :) .

RoadRanger

• SysGod
  • Counselor
  • Master
  • "Wherever you go, There you are"
    • Cacophony Forums
« Reply #17 on: January 24, 2014, 09:44:18 PM »
In chatting about the iX16 on another forum where Uli participates I brought up the point that the MixWiz has an additional stereo input for break music that I'd sorely miss - dunno if I get credit for that change or not LOL.

robbocurry

• Optimist Prime
  • Master
« Reply #18 on: January 24, 2014, 09:47:55 PM »
In chatting about the iX16 on another forum where Uli participates I brought up the point that the MixWiz has an additional stereo input for break music that I'd sorely miss - dunno if I get credit for that change or not LOL.
No that was JL as well lolz
The older I get, the better I was!

RoadRanger

• SysGod
  • Counselor
  • Master
    • Cacophony Forums
« Reply #19 on: January 24, 2014, 10:16:16 PM »
In any case hopefully Mackie is watching these new products and doing what they can to compete. Adding PEQs to the outputs is a big step up IMO :) .

robbocurry

• Optimist Prime
  • Master
« Reply #20 on: January 24, 2014, 10:32:24 PM »
In any case hopefully Mackie is watching these new products and doing what they can to compete. Adding PEQs to the outputs is a big step up IMO :) .
It's all going the right way that's for sure.
You would know better than me, but I'm hoping there's plenty of horsepower still left under the DL's hood!
The older I get, the better I was!

WK154

• Door #3
  • Master
« Reply #21 on: January 25, 2014, 07:48:41 AM »
It's all going the right way that's for sure.
You would know better than me, but I'm hoping there's plenty of horsepower still left under the DL's hood!
You might want to read this regarding horsepower.
http://cacophony.aspinock.com/index.php?topic=595.0
The X32 is pushing 90% utilization compared to Mackie's 25% according to their respective techies. Time will tell what's under the hood of the x18.
« Last Edit: January 25, 2014, 06:43:25 PM by WK154 »
When in doubt KISS

WK154

• Door #3
  • Master
« Reply #22 on: January 25, 2014, 07:06:20 PM »
I wonder if the LPF made it to the input channels or did the required mod to the UI stop them? I think they also need to add a few more PEQ's if your substituting it for the graphic Eq for feedback control.
When in doubt KISS

Wynnd

• Master
« Reply #23 on: January 25, 2014, 07:18:16 PM »
I took the video to mean that the aux PEQs were in addition to the 31 band EQ.  (Would hate to lose that.  It's great for feedback control.)

sam.spoons

• Pint #2
  • Master
« Reply #24 on: January 25, 2014, 07:33:34 PM »
I suspect it'll be either/or with the PEQ/GEQ on the outputs.

RoadRanger

• SysGod
  • Counselor
  • Master
    • Cacophony Forums
« Reply #25 on: January 25, 2014, 07:34:48 PM »
I think they also need to add a few more PEQ's if your substituting it for the graphic Eq for feedback control.
Four notch filters ought to be enough, no?

RoadRanger

• SysGod
  • Counselor
  • Master
    • Cacophony Forums
« Reply #26 on: January 25, 2014, 07:36:48 PM »
I wonder if the LPF made it to the input channels or did the required mod to the UI stop them?
Should be some simple cut&paste so I hope they do :) .

abzurd

« Reply #27 on: January 25, 2014, 07:39:39 PM »
They flat out say in the video you'll have both graphic and PEQ

"In addition to the graphic EQ you now have 4 bands and a high pass filter and a low pass filter"

Note too the HPF and LPF now have selectable slopes of 6, 12, 18, 24 db per octave.

abzurd

« Reply #28 on: January 25, 2014, 07:47:25 PM »
Also the addition of the HPF means you can better use the mixer as a crossover  when running aux fed subs. It would be nice though if they added a feature that allowed one main output to be lows and the other highs and you swipe a crossover point. Sure it would mean mono PA, but many are anyway and would allow yet another piece of rack gear to disappear from some rigs.

Greg C.

• Forty-Two
  • Knight
    • Cameron Pro Audio
« Reply #29 on: January 25, 2014, 08:00:26 PM »
Also the addition of the HPF means you can better use the mixer as a crossover  when running aux fed subs. It would be nice though if they added a feature that allowed one main output to be lows and the other highs and you swipe a crossover point. Sure it would mean mono PA, but many are anyway and would allow yet another piece of rack gear to disappear from some rigs.

If they were able to implement HPFs on the outputs, it should have been trivial to add LPFs on the outputs as well. Another misstep. That said, the general consensus in the pro world as that the speaker processing shouldn't be in the mixer. But logistically, there no reason to not put that functionality in there these days. It could certainly come in handy.
Procrastinators of the World, Contemplate Uniting!