Unofficial Mackie User Forums > DL1608/DL806/DL32R/ProDX Mixers

FAQ: High Frequency Noise on Auxes

(1/9) > >>

RoadRanger:
The conclusion of a six page thread on the old forum seems to be that using unbalanced connections (AKA TS or instrument cables) between the DL1608 aux outs and a powered monitor or amp will be noisy. One guy "solved" this by disconnecting the AC ground on the power supply but that's dangerous at best. Has anybody had any luck running unbalanced?

sam.spoons:
I suggested disconnecting the earth on the PSU, IIRC it wasn't particularly successful in removing the noise (and as you say removing the safety earth is not recommended though I'm still not convinced it's an issue with a low voltage supply like the DL PSU, most PSU's of this type have only a two conductor mains cable with no safety earth anyway).

I did have success with a custom lead, I tried several variations and I'll check later but I'm pretty sure the one that worked was a TRS to TS with the ring on the TRS left unconnected (i.e. no 'cold' connection). It only works if you use a TRS with the ring unconnected at the DL end not if you strap the ring to earth (or use a TS to TS lead which amounts to the same thing).

RoadRanger:

--- Quote from: sam.spoons on March 28, 2013, 03:05:46 PM ---I did have success with a custom lead, I tried several variations and I'll check later but I'm pretty sure the one that worked was a TRS to TS with the ring on the TRS left unconnected (i.e. no 'cold' connection). It only works if you use a TRS with the ring unconnected at the DL end not if you strap the ring to earth (or use a TS to TS lead which amounts to the same thing).
--- End quote ---
I would have guessed that the "winning" combination would be:
TRS -> TS :
S not connected
R -> S
T -> T

Yes, please check what you did and post it here :) .

sam.spoons:
Yes, that's what I thought and tried first but I've checked and the one that works is as above, TRS to TS
T > T
R > unconnected
S > S
Its number 9 on this chart https://dl.dropbox.com/u/15685857/Rane%20chart2.bmp

RoadRanger:
Thanks!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version