Author Topic: Master Fader V1.4 Is Here !  (Read 69249 times)

RoadRanger

• SysGod
  • Counselor
  • Master
  • "Wherever you go, There you are"
    • Cacophony Forums
Re: Master Fader V1.4 Is Here !
« Reply #30 on: April 06, 2013, 12:35:21 AM »
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rBL-Ca_r9DU" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rBL-Ca_r9DU</a>

Low audio though - maybe recorded on a DL1608 ;) ?
« Last Edit: April 06, 2013, 12:42:21 AM by RoadRanger »

Jerrylee

• Cruise Guy
  • Moderated
  • Knight
« Reply #31 on: April 06, 2013, 01:07:35 AM »
They are just skins. How can you tell? Change a setting in the modern or in the vintage and switch to the other. You will see both are affected. The board is not as much of a pos as is the company. Until the x32 rack is out I will continue to use it. I am doing a festival this weekend with the board in south Florida. It sucks that I can't use the compressors. Having them not pre/post selectable has rendered them useless. This is usually not an issue but at a huge outdoor festival it is.

Greg C.

• Forty-Two
  • Knight
    • Cameron Pro Audio
« Reply #32 on: April 06, 2013, 01:22:35 AM »
I am doing a festival this weekend with the board in south Florida. It sucks that I can't use the compressors. Having them not pre/post selectable has rendered them useless. This is usually not an issue but at a huge outdoor festival it is.

Hiya Jerr. Do you have enough free inputs with 16 channels to "Y" the vox channels to a second one for monitors only?
Procrastinators of the World, Contemplate Uniting!

sam.spoons

• Pint #2
  • Master
« Reply #33 on: April 06, 2013, 01:30:41 AM »
Just got in from tonight's gig (it's 2:20 a.m. In the UK) and downloaded 1.4. Looks good, some useful updates and another step in the right direction. I really could have done with My Fader tonight, I use my iPad for lyrics for my bands set so had to do a set and forget on the mix. MF V 1.3 did sterling service for the other performers though, many complements on the sound and much interest in the DL1608  8)

Jerrylee

• Cruise Guy
  • Moderated
  • Knight
« Reply #34 on: April 06, 2013, 01:43:18 AM »
I am doing a festival this weekend with the board in south Florida. It sucks that I can't use the compressors. Having them not pre/post selectable has rendered them useless. This is usually not an issue but at a huge outdoor festival it is.

Hiya Jerr. Do you have enough free inputs with 16 channels to "Y" the vox channels to a second one for monitors only?

Greg I had thought about that but I am doing sound for 5 bands on Saturday and Sunday. I need at least 2 channels for break music. (Yes here stereo is needed.) So I am limited to 14. And one of the bands needs all 14. I can still use comps on the drum kit which is really necessary. I do have one splitter cable and may try that on a lead vocal. Especially if there is one that has bad mic technique.

Good thing about the x32 rack is that you can assign 1 input to multiple channels. This way I can do exactly what you are suggesting. And I can do it to all 22 inputs.

Greg I did give you kudos for that one.

The pic is of the stage for this weekend.
« Last Edit: April 06, 2013, 02:05:03 AM by Jerrylee »

RoadRanger

• SysGod
  • Counselor
  • Master
    • Cacophony Forums
« Reply #35 on: April 06, 2013, 01:45:10 AM »
If one wanted to really live dangerously (and is OK with running mono) just pan every hard right including the reverb and delay and use the right output for the PA. Take the left output and feed it into one of the channels. Make absolutely sure that channel and the reverb and delay are panned hard right and stays that way or you might blow all your speakers! Now pan hard left anything you want to group compress and use the compression on that one channel 8) .

lightguy48

• Padawan
« Reply #36 on: April 06, 2013, 02:33:19 AM »
Well I've got to give 1.4 a complete thumbs downs.  Don't get me wrong, the bug fixes are great, however, how about some REAL feature requests instead of some cool little surface changes.

I'm very disappointed....

gtrdudes

• Padawan
« Reply #37 on: April 06, 2013, 05:50:25 AM »
I just did a show tonight with the new 1.4.

The show stuff with images is finally where it should have been. I didn't touch the vintage/modern stuff because it already sounds fine.

The biggest thing nobody has touched on here is the quick sync when the master fader is switched between apps or powering on. Way faster.  That makes the update worth it right there.

Now we wait for 1.5 so we can use compressors and monitors at the same time.

robbocurry

• Optimist Prime
  • Master
« Reply #38 on: April 06, 2013, 07:28:23 AM »
Well I've got to give 1.4 a complete thumbs downs.  Don't get me wrong, the bug fixes are great, however, how about some REAL feature requests instead of some cool little surface changes.

So you like the bug fixes and the cool little surface changes but still give it a total thumbs down?
Isn't that at least two positives you've found;)
It's an improvement over 1.3 which was good enough for most people to spend the money.
Future updates seem very likely and that gets a big thumbs up from me!
The older I get, the better I was!

cmazz3

• Initiate
« Reply #39 on: April 06, 2013, 08:35:44 AM »
Just got in from a gig... great success once again! A little over a month of using the DL1608 and it keeps getting better with each gig! All the 1.4 hype??...   :-\ Ayyy Doesnt bother me ...hey they managed to fix a few things . At least we can save a snapshot without having to save a show :thu: (it's automatically updates the show) previously the changes would be lost otherwise. Pictures and icons are now saved. Vintage might work better for some with knobs versus the modern EQ style. Also wireless connection seems more stable, hasn't cut out yet since update...Either way from a working musicians point of view, this mixer is beyond what any other current mixer can accomplish, especially in its price range (Which is important being many of us are underpaid entertainers and sound engineers) Hey our 10 space rack, with a dozen cables to connect, and the 2404vlz board can now stay in the trailer on standby

robbocurry

• Optimist Prime
  • Master
« Reply #40 on: April 06, 2013, 01:11:58 PM »
.....and by the way. Does anyone really think it would be a pleasurable experience mixing more than 16 channels on an iPad? The DL has a niche market. Not much bigger than a z10fx but with plenty of power. I didn't buy it to replace an iLive & surface or even a WZ3. It's small and powerful but I wouldn't consider using it for a "massive outdoor festival", except maybe for the beer tent. Don't get me wrong, I love it for what it is. Don't hate it for what it isn't people:)
« Last Edit: April 06, 2013, 01:30:58 PM by robbocurry »

lightguy48

• Padawan
« Reply #41 on: April 06, 2013, 02:13:58 PM »

So you like the bug fixes and the cool little surface changes but still give it a total thumbs down?
Isn't that at least two positives you've found;)
It's an improvement over 1.3 which was good enough for most people to spend the money.
Future updates seem very likely and that gets a big thumbs up from me!

I never said I like the surface changes, with one exception, at least the icons stay now when the show is saved.  But the 'classic/retro' stuff was totally unnecessary in my opinion. I never experienced any of the bug issues but for iPad 1 users obviously that stuff is critical for them.

My main thing is fix the pre/post aux issues, in fact how about some real options for pre/post on every channel instead of across the entire aux bus, this is pretty standard on most other digital mixers.

How about the much needed tempo tap on the main mixer screen??

How about moving/fixing the mute button??

Stereo linking??   Hiding unused channels??  A page with all the masters?? 

These were all features requested by numerous users that make a REAL difference in the usage and value of the mixer, not some silly classic controls.

lightguy48

• Padawan
« Reply #42 on: April 06, 2013, 02:19:45 PM »
.....and by the way. Does anyone really think it would be a pleasurable experience mixing more than 16 channels on an iPad? The DL has a niche market. Not much bigger than a z10fx but with plenty of power. I didn't buy it to replace an iLive & surface or even a WZ3. It's small and powerful but I wouldn't consider using it for a "massive outdoor festival", except maybe for the beer tent. Don't get me wrong, I love it for what it is. Don't hate it for what it isn't people:)

I know a lot of people here in town that mix using a Presonus StudioLive 24.4.2 so yes they do it and do it regularly.

I also have friend who owns a large sound company and regularly mixes large shows on his LS9 and M7 via his iPad

RoadRanger

• SysGod
  • Counselor
  • Master
    • Cacophony Forums
« Reply #43 on: April 06, 2013, 02:32:12 PM »
With groups and/or DCA's you can have everything you need to "ride" on one page so higher channel counts aren't a problem 8) .

robbocurry

• Optimist Prime
  • Master
« Reply #44 on: April 06, 2013, 02:36:22 PM »

I know a lot of people here in town that mix using a Presonus StudioLive 24.4.2 so yes they do it and do it regularly.

I also have friend who owns a large sound company and regularly mixes large shows on his LS9 and M7 via his iPad
Yeah, but those guys have real surfaces to fall back on when the excrement hits the fan!