Unofficial Mackie User Forums > DL1608/DL806/DL32R/ProDX Mixers

iOS DL16S experience

<< < (15/16) > >>

ToH2002:

--- Quote from: dpdan on February 28, 2019, 03:59:38 AM ---
Drivers for computers is not yet available, that is supposed to be sometime in July according to the Mackie website info.

--- End quote ---

Hey Dan, I believe boatman is referring to the PC ASIO drivers that are needed to record and play back multi-track audio from a PC. These drivers are available for download on the DL32S/DL16s product page (need to scroll far down to "Specs & Downloads"). Direct link is here

Cheers,

Torsten

Boatman:
Thank you. That is the PC USB driver I have been looking for. There was no easy way to find it and I would not have searched the DL32R documents.

Boatman:
Thanks to all of you for your help. I will summarize for the benefit of others who might encounter the same challenges.

First, the issue was to be able to play music via the USB port on the DL16S from an iPad or similar device. As the iPad connects to the DL806/1608 via the lightning attachment, I felt that it might be the medium of transfer for the DL16S. I decided to purchase the Lightning to USB camera adapter and attached it to the USB port once the DL16S was up and running. Following Dan's advice, I assigned Return 1 and Return 2 to USB 1 & 2 respectively (this was crucial). I then played iTunes, first on the iPad running the show (this tied me to the mixer though) and then on another iPad/iPod device. Both were successful. I did not try wireless or Airplay communication as I could not conceive of a method to attach the USB input to a wireless device (the iPad router notwithstanding).

I can now play music during intermission without disconnecting things and can also run things remotely as long as my music supply is operational. This for me has been a huge success.

Now to figure out talkback and how to silently communicate with band members on their Aux channels.... I hope Mackie is taking the many experiences listed on the forum and putting them into the next revision of the manual.

dpdan:
Thanks for helping Torsten!

Hi Boatman,
I'm glad you got it working!
As far as I know, Apple's Airport Express router is the only router ever made that can receive stereo digital audio from an Apple device using "Airplay".
So, without it, you are not going to be able to conveniently play music to the DL16S wirelessly, unless of course you strap two wireless microphone belt-packs to the iPad for stereo.
Apple Airport Express routers are not expensive and I highly suggest you get one, YOU WILL LOVE IT! 

Speaking of a wireless belt-pack..., that is exactly what you will need in order to talk discretely to band members as you roam the venue mixing the sound with the iPad.

ToH2002:

--- Quote from: dpdan on February 28, 2019, 07:07:53 PM ---So, without it, you are not going to be able to conveniently play music to the DL16S wirelessly, unless of course you strap two wireless microphone belt-packs to the iPad for stereo.

--- End quote ---

Since I use an Airport Extreme, I concocted my own solution: I used a Raspberry Pi with a DAC expansion board as a media player, loaded up with an SD card full of break music, hooked up to the mixing desk and the router on-stage and remote controlled it via a web interface on my iPad. Worked nicely, but of course it used an input channel on my mixer (summed it to mono first, so it only cost me one channel, but still). But the same would apply to the Airport Express or your microphone belt pack solution.

These days, there is even a Raspberry Pi solution that acts as an AirPlay receiver, so you could replicate the Airport Express solution: have the break music on your iPad and stream it wirelessly to the Raspberry Pi on stage. If you want to find out more, this is the website: https://www.max2play.com/en/

Cheers,

Torsten

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version