Unofficial Mackie User Forums > DL1608/DL806/DL32R/ProDX Mixers

Any special trick or settings for recording good, clean bass via mixer?

<< < (2/5) > >>

JMc:

--- Quote from: CyberHippy on December 27, 2013, 04:02:49 PM ---The unfortunate reality is that you will always be mixing to the room, which includes a bass amp that is most likely at or above the volume needed for the room. The only way you are likely to be able to get the bass to be at a good level in the mix would be to only have the bass through the mixer - that is, have him/her turn the volume of their amp to zero and give them enough bass in the monitor to get through the show.

--- End quote ---

Unfortunately, getting him to run his bass solely through the PA isn't going to be an option, because I know for a fact that he'll have none of it.   I have the feeling that I'm going to be at loggerheads with him no matter what I do, because the bass from his cabinet is going to bleed through all the other mics on stage, so the dry signal going directly into the mixer is going to have to be pretty hot to overcome that.  I'm not at all confident that I'll be able to come up with a mix that he is personally satisfied with, so my ultimate solution may be to record his bass signal on a separate recorder and then incorporate it into the mix with multi-track editing in post.  If he doesn't like my mix for the band, I'll give him the tracks and let him create his own personal mix.

Ah... 

JMc:

--- Quote from: sam.spoons on December 27, 2013, 03:41:26 PM ---Also, I'm never happy with the sound of DIed lead guitar, what do you use to DI it (Line 6 POD or similar or just a straight DI box)?

--- End quote ---

I believe there is an extra line out on my lead guitarist's efx box or a line out from his amp head.  I'm not positive, which he's feeding to the board.

WK154:

--- Quote from: JMc on December 27, 2013, 05:01:50 PM ---
--- Quote from: CyberHippy on December 27, 2013, 04:02:49 PM ---The unfortunate reality is that you will always be mixing to the room, which includes a bass amp that is most likely at or above the volume needed for the room. The only way you are likely to be able to get the bass to be at a good level in the mix would be to only have the bass through the mixer - that is, have him/her turn the volume of their amp to zero and give them enough bass in the monitor to get through the show.

--- End quote ---

Unfortunately, getting him to run his bass solely through the PA isn't going to be an option, because I know for a fact that he'll have none of it.   I have the feeling that I'm going to be at loggerheads with him no matter what I do, because the bass from his cabinet is going to bleed through all the other mics on stage, so the dry signal going directly into the mixer is going to have to be pretty hot to overcome that.  I'm not at all confident that I'll be able to come up with a mix that he is personally satisfied with, so my ultimate solution may be to record his bass signal on a separate recorder and then incorporate it into the mix with multi-track editing in post.  If he doesn't like my mix for the band, I'll give him the tracks and let him create his own personal mix.

Ah...

--- End quote ---
It's not always a tech issue as you well know. Have him only play with all other mics open as normal and record that muddied mess and then record just the head-amp and ask him which he'd prefer. If he picks the former then it's time for a replacement. Also he doesn't have to lug that amp around. Ask all the rest of the band what they would prefer and take it from there.

WK154:
The question that begs to be answered here is what's the purpose of the recording? Are you using it for mix-down or mastering (not likely with 2 channels)?  To hear the audience version? None of these are going to be served by the way you are recording. The only use I can see is for self critique of the performance.

sam.spoons:

--- Quote from: JMc on December 27, 2013, 05:01:50 PM ---

--- End quote ---

Ah...

--- End quote ---

Recording his bass separately won't remove the "muddy mess" in the vocal mics it will only give you the opportunity to remix the bass levels after the show. Re the MM in the vocal mics, you are using HPFs on all open mics except kick aren't you? (and low tom if you're recording it though I'd just use kick and a single or pair of overheads for the recording even if you have close mics for the FOH) And set them at 120 Hz or higher (I've used 135Hz on a good female vocalist with no effect on the sound of her voice) this will clean up the MM significantly if you are not already doing it.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version