Unofficial Mackie User Forums > DL1608/DL806/DL32R/ProDX Mixers

Digital trim coming to DL1608 and DL806

<< < (2/7) > >>

lightguy48:

--- Quote from: Fluddman on October 16, 2014, 12:43:21 AM ---I assume this is only for new models. Be great if you could retrofit  :)

--- End quote ---

Digital trim is different than remote pre-amp control. Basically with digital trim you still have to make sure you're not clipping the pre-amp because there is no way to turn the gain down if you're clipping (once it's distorted there is no undoing the distortion no matter how low you bring the trim down). But if your gain is a little on the low side you can boost the gain (sacrificing some of the noise floor) to get the level up to a more normal range.

lightguy48:

--- Quote from: Artaudio on October 16, 2014, 12:50:44 AM ---Apparently  this is part of the new Master Fader update and all DL's are getting this feature.

I'm guessing at the moment, but I presume you could set your input gains  and then be able to do some digital input trims if they start peaking. There are many times that I do a sound check and then when the show starts, the vocalist finds their stride and starts hitting the red line.. I don't think it will be perfect, but it will potentially prevent you from having to fight your way through the crowd and head to the Mixer for minor gain tweaks.

--- End quote ---

With Digital Trim you have to stay out of clipping... once it's clipped in the analog preamp the 'damage' is done no amount of digital trim will un-distort the audio. 

Keyboard Magic:
A newb question(s) if I may? Is digital trim really going to be an added bonus on the DL806/1608 with analog pre's? I can sort of see it helping to trim the very hot iPad playback channel though.

Fluddman:
It will be interesting if it is a software update - though I wonder if that's even possible?

For me, and i'll bet a heap of others, the main incentive of buying a DL32 is to get control of the trim through master fader.

So if it can be added to my exsiting 1608 I wouldn't buy a new DL32. I can't imagine Mackie doing anything that could impact on sales of the DL32. 

Cheers

lightguy48:
Well if you run your gains on the low side it can be a benefit because you can trim the level up,  I've had some shows where towards the end of the night I had some faders up at the top end and couldn't get any more gain, it's definitely better than nothing.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version