Unofficial Mackie User Forums > DL1608/DL806/DL32R/ProDX Mixers

QSC TouchMix

<< < (9/10) > >>

walterw:

--- Quote from: WK154 on February 20, 2014, 04:50:17 AM ---Unfortunately making software public most times is a costly affair because copyrights to all the pieces need to be obtained. Not very enticing for a companies discontinued software. Very few if any companies wrote all their own software including all the libraries. If it was originally based on free software then it might be possible. Sun Microsystems found that out the hard way when they made Solaris public but never succeeded completely.

--- End quote ---
so "opening up" retired software can actually cost real money? that's a pity.

as for long-term support, what's a current DL gonna be worth in 5 or 6 years? why would anyone bother? by then there will probably be lots of other stuff that smokes it, and for cheaper. maybe we'll have that rack-mount DL 24-8-3 stagebox, running some more robust wi-fi setup for our ipad pro or some kind of android tablet.

(or maybe we'll just have the wi-fi mixer/stagebox built into the back of one of the powered sub cabs! K-array is already doing this with their little bose stick-killer setup.)

Wynnd:
The real question is what will the DL1608 be worth to the owner.  Not what it's worth to others who might buy it.  The functionality of the DL leads me to think this could be the last mixer I purchase.  Don't think I'll be in the industry in 10 years.  (Never know.)  My Father passed on in his early 70s.  My Uncle in his early 80s.  Their sister is still living on moving on her own power at 102.   (I'm 61.)

WK154:
The June/July time-frame has started for the estimated delivery dates of the QSC Touchmix but September dates are starting to appear on most large suppliers websites. The real indicator will be when the iPad app finally makes it to the iStore which it hasn't. Why is it that Yamaha is the only co. in this business that has product on the shelf when they announce stuff. :(

Wynnd:
delivering on time is so hard when you're trying to keep your potential customers from purchasing something else.

WK154:
So you're saying that a few sales justifies the bad press from missing deadlines?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version