Unofficial Mackie User Forums > DL1608/DL806/DL32R/ProDX Mixers

DL32R Gotchas

<< < (2/2)

Wynnd:
There is one thing you should spend some time getting used to.  That's the internal effects.   I'm a minimalist when it comes to effects, so if they vanished totally, I probably wouldn't notice.  There are some that are fine with the internal effects and some that don't like them at all.  My suggestion is find a few settings that you like and save user settings for them.  And the way that the effects are mapped is a little strange.  At least very different than most mixers.   You've got your sends on the reverb control channel where you add the reverb master volume.  But you aren't finished yet, you need to go to your chosen output and add the reverb to that before you actually get the effect out.  The fact that the Reverb master doesn't feed the output directly is what seems different to me.  This might be a place where assigning a VCA to the reverb master and the output reverb level might be a good use.  Hopefully others with more experience using VCAs will chime in on whether this is a good idea or not.

Michael Welter:
I have spent some time with my living room setup playing with the effects. I used heavily during my experimentation, just so I could hear the difference. But, like you, I am a minimalist with effects. If I use them, they are barely noticeable.

Wynnd:
When I did a panel discussion last Monday, the docked ipad 2 kept re-syncing.  It was fully charged, but that characteristic of the DL1608 may just be one reason there is no dock on the DL32R.  I'm leaning towards never docking the ipad in the future.  (Even docked, you can specify connecting up via WiFi.)  The only things I lose by running WiFi only is the ipad channel and recording.  I usually have extra Aux out available to record with.  (Something I rarely do.)  And I'm setup for Airplay anyway.  (Did have a problem with Airplay in one venue.)  My WiFi connections have always been as solid as my keeping Master Fader as the active app.  I also use OnSong and of course, whenever I switch from OnSong to Master Fader, there is a sync event.  Whenever Apple gets around to making ios a multi-tasking OS, then I'll be able to keep both apps active and that issue should go away.  (Talk about a good reason to upgrade.)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version