Unofficial Mackie User Forums > DL1608/DL806/DL32R/ProDX Mixers

Feedback quandary

<< < (3/9) > >>

WK154:
You hit the nail on the head with "After all it is very common advice for users with feedback problems to suggest they try turning off any compressors."
It's the common bad  advise (other than a quick check for possible bad settings) that's the problem.  The word usage "compression, compressor " is fine and "dangerous" I would normally say that came out of left field but in this case it's from down under (pun intended). You'd also be surprised what audio pro's work with.
G'day mate

JMc:
I was with Harpman when he was experiencing his feedback problem recently and thank him for posting the question here.  I had discovered that problem for myself with my own DL 1608 and band and suspected his problem was compression on the vocal channel.  As a general rule of thumb then, is it advised that compression only be used very sparingly, if at all, on vocal channels?  I've got ours completely disabled for the time being and we seem to be doing just fine without it. 

RoadRanger:

--- Quote from: JMc on July 19, 2013, 05:54:56 PM ---As a general rule of thumb then, is it advised that compression only be used very sparingly, if at all, on vocal channels?
--- End quote ---
Yes.

Greg C.:
The simplified way I've told people that using a compressor can increase the chance for feedback is only when applying makeup gain. Otherwise there is no change in feedback potential using a compressor since there is no change in channel or bus gain. It's pretty simple really. Gain is gain regardless of where it's applied in relation to mic level or speaker level changes. If you have a stable system and decide to turn on a vocal channel or bus compressor but don't add makeup gain, the stability will not change. Add some makeup gain, and things will change.

WK154:
+1 ... and the same holds true for EQ's if you decide to boost a range of frequencies all hell can break loose if you don't compensate for the overall level increase, especially if you're close to your feedback limit.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version