Unofficial Mackie User Forums > DL1608/DL806/DL32R/ProDX Mixers

Mackie DL32R locked up during show

<< < (2/11) > >>

JohnMHoyt:

--- Quote from: WK154 on March 17, 2018, 10:23:48 PM ---A quick survey on the net leaves you with company. Turns out that Cinderella turns into a pumpkin after about 2-2.5Hrs. So  the reboot should be planed for before 2Hrs of operation. Mackie has a horrible track record for fixing intermittent problems (remember "white noise").

--- End quote ---

I think that out of a couple hundred shows, I have had the system on for anywhere from 3-8 hours at a time, and left on at my rehearsal spot for days at a time, with only maybe 3 lockups....
The first time was within weeks of getting it and I didn't know what was going on. It had been on only from sound check until we started the first song. As I recall, it was just like last friday and no response. 
We stopped and checked everything, then finally shut it all down and back up and it worked. That didn't happen again until a good while later.

I have a friend who has used his DL32r for 3 years in a pub for hundreds of acts. He's never had a single problem. It's on all the time, or most of the time.   Never had a cable come loose either. But it never moves.

JohnMHoyt:

--- Quote from: WK154 on March 17, 2018, 07:20:00 PM ---A X32 rack and a S16 stage box along with the recording card would meet the requirements. Haven't heard of X32's locking up. No cables to re-seat inside. Music files don't need to be separated. Expandable to 40 channels.

--- End quote ---

To get what I have now is almost impossible.

In 3 rack spaces, I have 32 inputs and 16 outputs.  All the ports are accessible from the front. I can record direct to disk.

Going to an X32 rack would have some of my ins/outs deep inside a rack.  So I would essentially need 2 S16s to get all my ins/outs where we could access them.  That is an even bigger rack than I have and more expense and more room in the car.  Of course I could build an XLR patch bay, but that's 2 spaces, plus 2 for the S16 and 3 for the mixer.

Then there's the recording issue... The card that I saw uses SD cards, not enough storage. I need to be able to record ~22 tracks - and have enough storage for 2 shows a weekend minimum.
There's a 3rd party card for 300 bucks or so.

Just doesn't seem like a "deal" compared to the Mackie...

dpdan:
Hi John, sad to hear about your DL32R failure.

I would suggest letting Ben Olswang at Mackie know exactly what happended.
I don't imagine there is anything now that he or anyone could do for you after the fact.

I had one situation after hundreds and hundreds of jobs with my now three year old DL32R last summer and after one set, the band went backstage to eat,
we came back into the ballroom and I had no control of anything, of course the lead vocal mic was still working since I always leave it on, as well as the background music, which I was able to turn off since it was playing via "Airplay" from an old iPhone. Immediately, I tried a second iPad, no go, I then swapped routers, no go, nothing fixed the unresponsvie DL32R except a quick power down and back up again,, and all was good. I can surely understand your grief with losing the multi-track recording when you have multiple cameras running. GOSH! :( I suppose if it was being recorded to a laptop with a DAW, since the audio was still running fine, it may not have quit when the "connected hard drive" recording stopped. Who knows,,, 

All I can say is this.... somehow, "we" fall in love with this technology and the amazing luxury that it provides with so much stuff in one little box that we also expect it to behave flawlessy in every way, especially when for two plus years and close to three hundred events..... it does.
I too get complacent with the nearly PERFECT reliablilty, and when something does go wrong it is devastating. I think that as long as we are dealing with "zeros and ones" streaming at nine bazillion miles per millisecond, somewhere along the way, one of the little digits get's lost. I have no explanation except that this is one of the things that we know CAN happen. I have heard horror stories of concerts going down with Digico consoles that cost....  HOLY CRAP more than one can imagine.. Anyway, I feel your pain.     

JohnMHoyt:

--- Quote from: dpdan on March 18, 2018, 11:13:43 PM ---Hi John, sad to hear about your DL32R failure.

I would suggest letting Ben Olswang at Mackie know exactly what happended.
I don't imagine there is anything now that he or anyone could do for you after the fact.

--- End quote ---

My dl32r has had a slew of problems but most of them I can deal with in spite of the frustration.
The crash during a show is not one of them, so I am seriously looking, but it’s hard to Best the price and features of the dl32r.

It’s so close to perfect in design and features ...

I wonder if my problem is not related to the system clock being so far off. In the computer service work I do for a day job, time is important to servers and computers and network gear.

Anyway, Mackie isn’t going to do anything to help me - i’m Long out of warranty and I cannot afford to send this system in for service - sigh

dpdan:
put that sucker on eBay with a used iPad and router then buy a new one,
you could also get extended warranty from Square Trade for the new one.  :P

I seriously doubt that the "way off" time stamping on your multi-channel wav files is to blame.
I'm wondering.... you should consider this... please don't call me an idiot,,, but a friend of mine repairs electronic stuff for a living. He has his own shop and on the counter where people bring in their gear for repair he has a power "conditioner" made by Monster sitting right there for everyone to see. It caught on fire when the home was struck by lightening and fried everything that it was supposed to protect. It almost burned down the customer's home. Almost everyone asks about it, and when they do he gets to slam Monster for the crap they make. He then explains that unless you buy a commercial AC power backup system you are wasting your money on these Furman and Monster consumer pieces of crap that claim to condition your power. Anyway, if I were you, I would try not using the "conditioner". I have done three years of shows, concerts and wedding receptions, probably pushing 300 jobs and the only device I use is a Furman PL-PLUS that sits above the DL32R in a four space SKB case, it is only for the convenience of displaying AC Volts, and providing AC outlets for the DL, two Sennheiser wireless receivers and the Apple router. I never expect it to protect my gear.
Just a thought,,,

It's worth trying a few jobs without it.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version