Unofficial Mackie User Forums > DL1608/DL806/DL32R/ProDX Mixers

Aux compression enough for IEMs?

<< < (8/13) > >>

Harpman:
I'm now considering the GA AS-1100 or AS-1500.  Since the Shure is "Mono" only, I can only use the 1:~ (many) 1-Aux mix to many body-packs.  I know with the AS-1500, you have "Mixed Mono" mode where I can take 2 AUX sends from the DL and the band member can determine which mix he/she wants to hear.  Not sure about the AS-1100 or AS-900 (one that RR owns).  This way I can leverage how many transmitters I need to buy.  I can use AUX 1-4 with 2 Transmitters and have a lot of choices on who gets what mix.  RR, really curious on the quality and durability of Galaxy Audio since you already own one.  I can get the AS-1500 at GC for the price I paid for the Shure PSM 200.

Greg C.:

--- Quote from: Wynnd on December 26, 2013, 01:53:23 PM ---Compression in monitors is a no go, but with IEMs?  Sure, why not?  Feedback is the only reason for not using them in monitors.

--- End quote ---

Not true. The general goal of monitors for vocalists is to give an accurate representation of what their voice is doing in relation to the microphone, including dynamics. If you compress a monitor mix regardless of whether it's a wedge or IEMs, you're altering what dynamics the vocalist hears. This can be detrimental as the harder a vocalist pushes their voice, the more the compressor will squash the level they hear which can lead to several issues including damaged vocal cords and "over-singing." So unless a vocalist specifically wants compression in their mix, it should be avoided so they hear what they're really doing instead of a more "produced" sound.

RoadRanger:
I agree with Greg C. And as to the durability of the AS-900, they seem as well built as any to me. Any of the transmitters will sound better and get better range in true mono than with the stereo transmission needed to run two channels on one transmitter - I'd not go the "dual mono" route if you can avoid it.

Harpman:
My only neg on the AS-900 is single freq.  The AS-1500 is being discontinued, so that only leaves the AS-1100 or 1800.  I think the 1800 is overkill for my needs.  I also have a Behringer Powerplay HA4700 which I want to utilize for stationary players (i.e. Drummer, Bassist, Keyboardist).  Obviously the goal here is to keep the stage and noise floor at a minimum and also having more real estate by elimination of floor monitors. Everyone on this forum has a different configuration based who they run sound for (i.e. choir, solo, 3-4 piece band, etc.).  So here is my 5-piece configuration:  Lead Vocalist, Guitarist, Bassist, Keyboardist (dual) and Drummer.  In addition to Kepi as the lead vocalist, our guitarist, bassist and drummer also sing so their are vocal mics present for them as well.  BTW, for those who disagree with using the DL AUX compression as "limiters", I have 2 Behringer MDX4600 (4-channel compressor/limiters) that I can utilize for the non-wireless monitors.  May have to go to my 10u rack versus 6u.  So much for scaling down, but I guess if I don't have to lug the wedges around anymore, so be it  :lol:. 

walterw:

--- Quote from: Harpman on December 27, 2013, 06:59:41 PM ---BTW, for those who disagree with using the DL AUX compression as "limiters", I have 2 Behringer MDX4600 (4-channel compressor/limiters) that I can utilize for the non-wireless monitors.  May have to go to my 10u rack versus 6u.  So much for scaling down, but I guess if I don't have to lug the wedges around anymore, so be it  :lol:.

--- End quote ---
ugh, why? there's no reason the mackie auxes can't just use their own comps set as safety limiters, especially since when run right they'll never get hit. (also, if you really wanted to drag out old-school rack comps, there's no reason you couldn't put that stuff on the wired and wireless IEMs.)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version