Other Digital Mixers > Behringer X-Air

Embedded WiFi in X-Air/ M-Air tests

<< < (2/3) > >>

WK154:
I did need to test the most likely setup for wireless control. The location was the same 30ft. plus 2 walls giving about -60 to-65 dBm at the control surfaces at 5GHz channel 44. Channel 44 was also shared with my main WiFi router Nighthawk (Tri-band) that was only 2-5 ft. away from the control surfaces (-25 to -30 dBm). Yes it knows how to share on the same  frequency. I was using a EA 6350 Linksys (Cisco, now Belkin) AC1200 unit (at least a 4 year old unit) . The WLAN (Wireless Local Area Network) window poorly named by the Tribe and not to be confused with WAN (Wide Area Network on your router). The SSID is the one established by the EA 6350 (the Access Point) unfortunately and incorrectly changed by the App to, in my case, MR12-xx-xx-xx which is wrong! This certainly can add to the confusion for additional control surfaces trying to use this information. Fortunately the IETF sets the standards not the Tribe  ;D. Since when does an App override typed in and applied data? Tribe needs to fix that ASAP. The test started at 1/16/19 at 9:00 PM. So far so good with 2PC's (W10), one iPad 3 and one Android running Mixing Station. There also has not been any noticeable loss of Beacon messages from the Linksys.

WK154:
It's now been 48 hrs. and no disconnects have happened. Beacon messages (packets) issued on a consistent regular basis by the AP (Linksys) is the reason for this results. I believe that a loss of Beacon packets is the reason for iPad and even PC disconnects that are the cause with the internal AP. There are also reasons not controllable by the mixer or router that would cause this as well. The most obvious is a high activity on a specific wavelength which would delay the Beacon packets as can happen with a high concentration of cellphones looking for Internet connections. So for now the 5 GHz bands are still sparsely used. How long this will last is anyone's guess. At that point wire or another frequency band will be the reliable solution. IoT will certainly not help with this. It would also help if the disconnect decision of the iPad and PC would be closer to the criteria used by Androids.

P.S. For those of you new to this it was determined five years ago with the DL1608 and external WiFi routers.
http://cacophony.aspinock.com/index.php?topic=188.msg898#msg898

WK154:
After 63 hrs. I'm pulling the plug on this test. With three PC's (one wired) two Androids and one iPad 3 all working just fine. So the conclusion for now is if you update or even just received your unit from the "Factory" do a FACTORY reset (paper clip) then reboot Buy yourself a current /AC router (5GHz) or go wired to do gigs. There are enough other things to deal with and learn.
Cheers

WK154:
For those of you that are in the market for a WiFi router you may want to future-proof your purchase by considering a 802.11ax unit if your budget allows. It will no doubt take more time before Tablets catch up to this spec but it has been available since late 2017. I would expect the next batch of new gear to have this in 2019. Even some 802.11ac gear can benefit from the /ax version. For those of you not into Networks the /ax spec isn't about more speed it's about dealing with the very thing that we are talking about, traffic density.

WK154:
Just received my new toy a WiFi sniffer (Openwrt based) that can monitor one channel at a time for Wireshark and I caught the MR12 in AP mode dropping Beacon frames on a fairly regular basis. This is with no control surfaces active, just my WiFi-Analyzer making occasional discovery requests. Next I'll stress it with 4 control surfaces and see what happens. This already is a clear indication that the MR12 AP can't handle a lot of network load.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version