Unofficial Mackie User Forums > DL1608/DL806/DL32R/ProDX Mixers

DL32R Latency while recording.

<< < (2/5) > >>

Wynnd:
latency isn't an issue when recording.  It is an issue when using the mixer for live sound.  Those still sound like fairly small numbers yet.

Sir Krang:
My latency observations ain't about recording, but they are still about noticeable latency.

DL1608. 10 channels used.

2 x stereo electronic drum kit.
Bass guitar
Guitar
5 x vocals
Mono midi keyboards and backing track.

I tried to send the drummer his own in ear send. He uses a small analogue mixer for his click track, midi, and in-ear mix.
The very first time we tried to do use the DL for his own send he complained that the drum he hit was noticiably sooner than what he was hearing in his ears.
So whatever latency the DL1608 has was enough to throw the bands drummer/metronome off.

We've gone back to original convoluted patching for the drummers monitor mix, which completely bypass's the DL's aux sends.

Bummer!

RoadRanger:

--- Quote from: Sir Krang on April 03, 2015, 06:14:45 AM ---The very first time we tried to do use the DL for his own send he complained that the drum he hit was noticiably sooner than what he was hearing in his ears.
--- End quote ---
I'm pretty sure you were doing something wrong - the mixer's latency is about the same as the distance from the drum heads to the drummer's ears. One of the "joys" of a digital mixer is it's quite easy to screw up ;) . For starters make sure there is no delay dialed in on the aux output. Also make sure the delay fx is not up in that aux.

Wynnd:
That's levels of latency that I've not noticed.  (I'm not a drummer so what do I know.)   Might want to have his drums picked up locally to his IEM.  (most have a local mic option) and mix in what else he needs from the board.  And I'll be honest, acoustic drums shouldn't need to be in his IEMs.  (My Take anyway.)  IEMs don't block out the entire world, so if the drums aren't in his mix, the rest can be dropped significantly in volume and become much more protective of whatever hearing he has left.

WK154:
How about just using the spec'd delay of 1.5 milliseconds or about a little more than a foot and a half.(1.7ft. depending on air temp. :)) It's fixed time-wise the rest is imagination or wrong settings.
For IEM's most of it is the IEM delays which can be significant for low cost wireless units (20+milliseconds). One more thing, mic placement can be a factor if too far from the drum. Here is a study by Shure engineers and it also depends on the instrument you play.  http://www.lsbaudio.com/publications/AES_Latency.pdf

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version