Unofficial Mackie User Forums > DL1608/DL806/DL32R/ProDX Mixers

Jumping into the DL1608 Phenomenon

<< < (15/17) > >>

Keyboard Magic:
I may start another fire here, but are all these new digital/iOS/any other tablet/laptop controllable mixers really really ready for mainstream use at this time? The idea is amazing for such lower prices, but... Some may attribute my comment to the fact that due to either my fault or a localized quantum singularity appearing next to my DL/iPad on the last day of a 30 day return policy kinda strange. Or is there really something to consider here? I actually really do love tech.

Another example...

Last nights gig with my FR-7X and BK-7M backing module started out all of a sudden with the right hand keys playing a half tone lower than the accompaniment. It was working perfectly during my setup but glitched when starting my set. A quick complete power off and reboot corrected the issue and the gig went off without further issues. Quantum singularity indeed! My mixer of choice for this setup is a Mackie 402-VLZ3, all analog and sooo reliable. This time it was Roland tech that glitched. No, I am definitely not going to dump my Roland gear due to one problem.  :P Contrary to popular belief. :)

I guess this all boils down to tech being so sophisticated that it just naturally acts up now and again.  ???

WK154:
Yes I call that the "DOS" syndrome. We've all been conditioned to reboot (power of and on)when some digital item doesn't work. Bill Gate's contribution to computers, way to go Bill. It's most likely the reason not many report it as a problem if they can even figure out it's a problem. ::)
KM stay away from that Aurora Borealis and all those emanating Quarks. :)

Keyboard Magic:
WK154;

I remember writing batch file menus and login scripts way back in the day, even 8 inch floppy disks and drives. The ole command line was the best!  ::) Okay how about hard drives that took up tons of computer room space? Must be old or something.  x(   ;) Maybe if I had this on my music stand things would have gone better?

http://roshipotoshi.files.wordpress.com/2012/09/episode-4-the-beast-below-mkv_0010585591.jpg?w=408&h=228

Keyboard Magic:
Hold onto your chairs!

After all my posting, particular experience with, and subsequent return of my DL, a whole lot of questions and research about other digital mixers and trying other virtual fader control software, I find myself being drawn back to the DL1608. For me, the software (Master Fader) was and is the easiest and most comfortable to operate. I really did give the other software a complete run through albeit actually having the hardware to go along with it. Maybe just maybe another Master Fader update will improve the sync/poor communications issues?

And at this point, you’re all thinking, HUH??? ARE YOU NUTS?? You should have just kept your original one and waited!!!!! Maybe I am and just a little bit (please fill in your own colorful metaphors here). But I guess it’s “Better the devil you know, than the Devil you don’t” Before it crapped out due to operator error (updating without thinking to iOS 7.1.1) or something else, it was excellent. It was a known quantity even with some possible minor and sometimes irritating issues that have only befallen a few of us. I also just may have suddenly fallen into a parallel universe. But I am seriously considering jumping back into the DL1608 Phenomenon once again.

Okay, okay, if you’ve fallen on the floor from laughing so hard from reading this, you can now get back into your chairs. Just put this post down to sudden insanity (maybe already insane long ago) on my part. No I have not been smoking any funny stuff either.

Wynnd:
Being that most of us that updated to ios 7.1.1 without any issues, maybe you just had a lemon DL1608.  If I had a particularly bad experience with a single model of car, I doubt that I would indict the entire brand for a lemon.
And I have never been laughing.  What happened to you is unfortunate, and I can see how returning the unit while you were able was the right move for you.  If you jump in again, I hope your experience is closer to mine.  (Pretty good.)  Got to admit that QSC's mixer looks good.  Don't know if the price would scare me off, but I don't change mixers very quickly and fully expect to be using this mixer for the next few years.  Whatever you end up doing, we only want you to have a good experience from now on.  (You are due.)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version