Unofficial Mackie User Forums > DL1608/DL806/DL32R/ProDX Mixers

DL1608 destroying my Mac Mini(s)

<< < (9/11) > >>

Greg C.:

--- Quote from: nottooloud on March 15, 2015, 07:26:57 PM ---
--- Quote from: ILC Saratoga on March 14, 2015, 09:44:16 PM ---Yes everthing is grounded.

--- End quote ---

Try ground lifting the Mini's power supply.

--- End quote ---

No. If there's any ground lifting to be done, only lift signal grounds and never AC safety grounds. They're called safety grounds for a reason - they protect against electrocution and fire in the event of an internal fault.

Greg C.:
It's also worth noting the Mac Mini has only a 2 prong power cord so there is no safety ground to lift.

nottooloud:

--- Quote from: Greg C. on March 15, 2015, 07:38:30 PM ---It's also worth noting the Mac Mini has only a 2 prong power cord so there is no safety ground to lift.

--- End quote ---

Oh, yup, you're right. Might try skipping the power conditioner. Being as the DL1608 has known pin 1 grounding issues, he might try replacing the Mackie power supply with something better.

3rd prong is case-by-case arguable, however. I have both Lenovo laptops and Motion tablets where the same power supply is shipped with either a 2 prong or 3 prong cable, depending on I-don't-know-what. Many laptops have audio grounding issues that are easily solved by lifting the ground pin. At the very least, trying it can get you some information.

ILC Saratoga:
Correct they use a transformer on the MacMini.  It is basically a MacBook in a box. 

The problem has been solved by using a REALLY CHEAP 2 channel ground loop interrupter from MonoPrice.

I had everything I needed laying around in the audio booth lovingly stashed into various boxes.  1/8 stereo to RCA, Ground Loop, RCA cable, RCA to 1/4" mono adapter.   :thu:  Now on to trying to figure out why the heck our hearing assistance is all static. Odds are something got unplugged.  Time to do some tracing and actually organization of the spaghetti pot of wires and cables.  Luckily they're easy to trace, all color coded, red and black... ;D

I'll be trying VoiceRecord to get the recordings off of the MacMini.  Currently we use Garage Band as it's very easy for our more 'mature' audio crew to figure out to record with.

I want to thank you all for your invaluable assistance.

gerenm63:

--- Quote from: ILC Saratoga on March 15, 2015, 07:57:18 PM ---Correct they use a transformer on the MacMini.  It is basically a MacBook in a box. 

--- End quote ---

That depends on the vintage of Mac Mini. They've used internal power supplies for at least the past 5 or 6 years. In fact, I don't think they've used an external power supply on a Mac Mini since they switched to Intel (though I could be wrong about that last part).

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version