Unofficial Mackie User Forums > DL1608/DL806/DL32R/ProDX Mixers

DL1608 destroying my Mac Mini(s)

<< < (10/11) > >>

ILC Saratoga:
I should have specified that it's the latest and greatest.  The earlier ones were direct power.  I've got one laying around that is heading to the recycle.  Apple has been very good on replacing the Logic Board.  The first time they gave me a upgraded MacMini  :thu:, the other times they replaced the logic board.  All because of the issue of 48v.

Kev tyler:
With respect to 99.9% of the people I meet who plug laptops running on mains power in to desks, they remove the earth from the mains lead or suffer awful humm..

I have not met anyone willing to purchase additional items to avoid removing the earth

Kev

sam.spoons:
Anybody who removes the safety earth off any mains powered gear is asking for an early trip to the great gig in the sky  :(

Most older laptops and many modern ones have only two conductor mains leads though, they are 'double insulated' for safety. They are still very prone to noise when connected to a pro PA system (often digital noise rather than 50/60 Hz hum).

Greg C.:

--- Quote from: sam.spoons on March 16, 2015, 02:12:48 PM ---Anybody who removes the safety earth off any mains powered gear is asking for an early trip to the great gig in the sky  :(

Most older laptops and many modern ones have only two conductor mains leads though, they are 'double insulated' for safety. They are still very prone to noise when connected to a pro PA system (often digital noise rather than 50/60 Hz hum).

--- End quote ---

I find that Macs in general tend to be the least problematic as far as noise introduction to most PA systems. But I always have stereo passive DIs handy just in case.

sam.spoons:
I'm a late adopter mac guy. It is usually budget PCs that give the problems. My late 2011 MacPro has a two conductor mains lead BTW but I don't often use it plugged in for playback (with a 7-8 hour battery why bother) but I don't recall it being troublesome.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version