Author Topic: Mustang Sally?  (Read 21795 times)

RoadRanger

• SysGod
  • Counselor
  • Master
  • "Wherever you go, There you are"
    • Cacophony Forums
Mustang Sally?
« on: April 09, 2010, 06:57:32 PM »
So, can you actually make any money in this biz without playing "Mustang Sally" every night?

;)

guido61

• Charter Member
  • Initiate
Re: Mustang Sally?
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2010, 01:04:15 AM »
Yes!  I make money by playing "Mustang Sally" and "Sweet Home Alabama" on alternating nights!

RoadRanger

• SysGod
  • Counselor
  • Master
    • Cacophony Forums
« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2010, 01:14:38 AM »
Yes!  I make money by playing "Mustang Sally" and "Sweet Home Alabama" on alternating nights!
Dude, that's Rock&Roll Hell for sure ;D. I actually don't mind hearing a good rendition of either of those but don't know if I could play them again. I was playing the same songs 30 years ago that a "Classic Rock" band plays today - but most of them were new back then :) and we got paid about the same :P.

guido61

• Charter Member
  • Initiate
« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2010, 01:51:39 AM »
 ;D

The truth is, we have both songs on our songlist but don't play them much.  Mustang Sally gets pulled out when we're playing for old folks---when we're at a wedding or some other gig when we're suddenly faced with a bunch of people in their 60s.  Sweet Home gets pulled out on request or if it's a particularly redneck crowd.

I hear you about playing the same songs as when I was younger.  I had a particularly eerie feeling creep over me the other night when I was playing "You Give Love A Bad Name" and this pretty young thing was writhing around near the front of the stage and singing along, and I got to thinking..."wasn't I in this exact same position looking at your mother do the exact same thing 25 years ago?"

RoadRanger

• SysGod
  • Counselor
  • Master
    • Cacophony Forums
« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2010, 02:10:50 AM »
I had a particularly eerie feeling creep over me the other night when I was playing "You Give Love A Bad Name" and this pretty young thing was writhing around near the front of the stage and singing along, and I got to thinking..."wasn't I in this exact same position looking at your mother do the exact same thing 25 years ago?"
Maybe wuz a flashback  :P?
 ;D

Yah, I hear yah. I've got three daughters aged 1 through 25 and a 6 year old grandaughter so's that kinda thing really creeps me out :o.
 ;D

BigJD

• Charter Member
  • Youngling
« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2010, 01:14:03 AM »
We will play Sweet Home for boobies,and we let others sing Mustang for us as guest so either one could get real intresting on any given gig night.

rorylawford

• Charter Member
  • Youngling
    • Rory M. Lawford on Myspace
« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2010, 01:41:26 AM »
To this day, after 20+ years gigging in rock cover bands - I have never played either "Sweet Home Alabama" or "Mustang Sally" or "Brown Eyed Girl" or "Old Time RnR"  ;D
I do not, for one, think that the problem was that the band was down. I think that the problem *may* have been, that there was a Stonehenge monument on the stage that was in danger of being *crushed* by a *dwarf*.

RoadRanger

• SysGod
  • Counselor
  • Master
    • Cacophony Forums
« Reply #7 on: April 11, 2010, 02:09:15 AM »
To this day, after 20+ years gigging in rock cover bands - I have never played either "Sweet Home Alabama" or "Mustang Sally" or "Brown Eyed Girl" or "Old Time RnR"  ;D
Actually I don't think I have either - at least not in front of an audience. Mighta jammed SHA once or twice - useta play a few other LS tunes though. But that was when they were fresh 8).

Cooterbrown

• Charter Member
  • Youngling
  • RAWK FONK BLOOZ
« Reply #8 on: April 12, 2010, 01:01:01 AM »
I will play those songs out if I feel the audience really wants to hear them.
Doesn't mean I hafta like it.   :(

Cooterbrown

• Charter Member
  • Youngling
  • RAWK FONK BLOOZ
« Reply #9 on: April 12, 2010, 01:05:11 AM »
We will play Sweet Home for boobies,and we let others sing Mustang for us as guest so either one could get real intresting on any given gig night.

When I had a house job, I kept a vidcam with me at all times.
After six years in that place, I had about ten 2-hr volumes of "Roadhouse Funbags".
Funny stuff.

Actionsquid

• Honorary Moderator
  • Guardian
  • Youngling
« Reply #10 on: April 12, 2010, 08:32:43 PM »
So, can you actually make any money in this biz without playing "Mustang Sally" every night?

Yes. I've got the  royalty checks for $9.72, $6.30 etc. to prove it.  :facepalm:

audiopile

• Preferred Vendor
  • Padawan
« Reply #11 on: April 14, 2010, 02:10:18 AM »
We usually morph "Mustang Sally" into "Sweet-home" and then morph that into "Cocaine", then morph that into "Gimme 3 Steps"... morphed into "Proud Mary"... morphed into "Louie Louie"... morphed into "Achey-Breaky"... morphed into "Billy's Got His Beer Goggles" on... mophed into "Born To Be Wild"... and finish the mess off with "Purple Haze"... just to get all of that stuff taken care of as quickly as possible.

Oh... and I think we throw the hooks from "The Rodeo Song" and "Some Girls" in there somewhere.  I dunno... I just play bass.

RoadRanger

• SysGod
  • Counselor
  • Master
    • Cacophony Forums
« Reply #12 on: April 14, 2010, 02:24:58 AM »
A whole set in 5 minutes! Do you get to take a 55 minute break after that ;) ?

audiopile

• Preferred Vendor
  • Padawan
« Reply #13 on: April 14, 2010, 02:49:00 PM »
A whole set in 5 minutes! Do you get to take a 55 minute break after that ;) ?
Actually... we generally take like 2ea. 5 minute breaks inna 3 - 5hr. performance... since we all come to play... and we don't play clubs anymore so there's no need for dead-air time so the proprietor and staff can better take care of business.

Nobody Told Me

• Charter Member
  • Youngling
« Reply #14 on: April 14, 2010, 05:44:28 PM »
I hear you about playing the same songs as when I was younger.  I had a particularly eerie feeling creep over me the other night when I was playing "You Give Love A Bad Name" and this pretty young thing was writhing around near the front of the stage and singing along, and I got to thinking..."wasn't I in this exact same position looking at your mother do the exact same thing 25 years ago?"

My emphasis on your words.  You hit the nail right on the head.  I've been trying to put that sentiment into words for a very long time.  That is why I now refuse to sing "Talk Dirty To Me".  It's creepy, singing that song when there are girls younger than my daughter dancing in front of me.