Author Topic: which Ipad?  (Read 7899 times)

Weogo

• Knight
which Ipad?
« on: June 21, 2015, 03:27:29 PM »
Hi Folks,

Some Ipad observations from my use:
Ipad 1 will run 'Classic' Version-2 Mackie DL1608 app pretty well.
2 & 3 will run Version3.x for DL1608 pretty well.
2 & 3 will run DL32R, but definitely not snappy.
Air will run DL32R nicely.  For a fast-paced show on a DL32R, I consider this the minimum requirement.
Air 2 will run DL32R snappy.  Surprisingly faster than even Air.

No experience with Ipad 4, but it makes sense that performance would be somewhere between 2/3 and Air.

Please post your experience, to help others decide what they need.

Thanks and good health,  Weogo

Michael Welter

• Knight
Re: which Ipad?
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2015, 03:47:51 PM »
I use the iPad Air 2, and have been quite impressed with the performance. I'm on the latest version of MF. I recently picked up a second iPad Air 2, mostly for backup, but also to allow two people to work at the same time. Just for fun, I tried moving a fader on one, and watched it move on the other, in real time. No delay at all. Honestly, it works like a dream.
Mackie Junkie

Wynnd

• Master
« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2015, 05:18:10 PM »
What delay I see with an ipad 2 and an ipad mini isn't worth talking about.  (Fader response.)  The upcoming predicted split screen on the ipad air 2 would make it a good upgrade.   (Though I can currently live without it.)

Keyboard Magic

• Master
« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2015, 07:46:37 PM »
I’ve have both iPad air 2 and iPad 2. MF 2.X ran great on the iPad 2. When I upgraded to MF 3.X there was a “perceived” lag, particularly in the faders and overall response. I bought an iPad Air 2 and MF 3.X runs just as fast as MF 2.X did on my older iPad2.

I think the “lag” issues are all perceptual. If it bugs you, and you’re thinking about buying a new iPad, I would go with the Air 2. If the lag isn’t an issue, then the iPad 2, 3, 4 and Air will be just fine.  ;)
"The bad news is time flies. The good news is...you're the pilot." ~ Michael Althsuler

Rdmitch

• Knight
« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2015, 12:57:53 AM »
I have the best results with the air 2. I keep a ipad3 attached to the 1608 and the air 2 as a remote.
I do think the air2 soaks up battery life much faster than the other ipads.
I really have not noticed any significant lag since the last upgrade.
Your never to old to learn something stupid

Keyboard Magic

• Master
« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2015, 01:05:41 PM »
I have the best results with the air 2. I keep a ipad3 attached to the 1608 and the air 2 as a remote.
I do think the air2 soaks up battery life much faster than the other ipads.
I really have not noticed any significant lag since the last upgrade.

I agree about the battery drain. I have the Air 2 and the iPad 2 sitting side by side. The Air 2 is running MF 3.X and the iPad 2 is playing music. In a 2 hour gig I am plugging in the backup power pack to the Air 2. Never have to worry about the old iPad dying. They are both on iOS 8.3. Let's hope iOS 9 makes a difference.
"The bad news is time flies. The good news is...you're the pilot." ~ Michael Althsuler

Michael Welter

• Knight
« Reply #6 on: June 22, 2015, 05:00:52 PM »
Maybe I'm doing something wrong, but I can go 4 or 5 hours on my Air 2 before I feel the need to plug it in.
Mackie Junkie

Rdmitch

• Knight
« Reply #7 on: June 22, 2015, 07:58:25 PM »
Maybe your doing something right !!

I turn off all apps, music, turn down the brightness and still after about 2 hrs I'm down to 60%
That gets me nervous so I plug in the remote power source and run the rest of the night with that in my pocket.

Michael Welter

• Knight
« Reply #8 on: June 22, 2015, 08:24:20 PM »
Well, I guess if you put it that way, my experience is the same as yours. But I don't get nervous about the battery until it reaches 30%.
Mackie Junkie

Keyboard Magic

• Master
« Reply #9 on: June 22, 2015, 08:59:59 PM »
Maybe your doing something right !!

I turn off all apps, music, turn down the brightness and still after about 2 hrs I'm down to 60%
That gets me nervous so I plug in the remote power source and run the rest of the night with that in my pocket.

That's pretty much the same scenario for myself. I get twitchy when the "fuel gauge" gets that point or even a bit lower. It could probably go a lot longer I guess, without worrying. But... ;)
« Last Edit: June 22, 2015, 09:10:42 PM by Keyboard Magic »

Rdmitch

• Knight
« Reply #10 on: June 23, 2015, 12:58:03 AM »
When I forget the aux. power supply ( which I have done twice), I always can switch iPads so the low pad can  recharge  on the mixer for a set.

Topsøe

• Knight
« Reply #11 on: June 23, 2015, 05:26:52 AM »
:-)
If in doubt ask

Wynnd

• Master
« Reply #12 on: June 23, 2015, 10:18:00 AM »
I've got an ipad 2 and an ipad mini.  I dock the fully charged 2 so power isn't an issue with it.  But I generally run from the mini and always when running sound for someone else.  5 hours is safely within it's capability. (I should bring a charging block just in case.)  Sounds like the ipad Air 2 is a bit thirstier.  I really don't have any problems running them down to less than 10%.  They are predictable and fairly consistent.   I do like the idea of two ipads that dock, but we already know that the dock isn't the best choice of charger.  Doing a whole day event would take some planning or a handy outlet.  (Ever notice how older theaters don't have many outlets off the stage?)   And of course, I always have my iphone for a fader control backup.

Keyboard Magic

• Master
« Reply #13 on: June 23, 2015, 01:09:41 PM »
I like the old banquet halls where the power and mic connections are in the floor with a trap door. Every time I open one it’s a surprise. Let’s see; charred burned melted power outlets, sometimes pieces of plugs left in them and then the ground isn’t working.

When they’re that dodgy and even when they look okay,  I always check them with a three-prong outlet tester. They aren’t always accurate but they give you a rough idea if it’s safe to plug in. Then you start looking for another outlet somewhere in the vicinity and can’t find one. Ugh!

Oh yes almost forgot, sometimes you can't even get the little trap door open, 'cause the tiny latch is either broken or jammed. Never remember to carry a small sturdy blade screw driver.  :facepalm:
« Last Edit: June 23, 2015, 01:14:56 PM by Keyboard Magic »

Wynnd

• Master
« Reply #14 on: June 23, 2015, 02:02:48 PM »
My circuit testers are in a box with several screwdrivers.  (Suitable for adjusting Leslie cabinet volume controls.  Flat blade recessed small size.)