Author Topic: What iOS app, clearest wi fi frequency, and signal strenght etc  (Read 4370 times)

Kev tyler

• Knight
hi guys

I have had problems at one of my gigs with wi fi dropout,

I want to go back there and see what's exactly happening with relation to all the signals,

Is there an app I can put in my pad to show clean or the most clear wi fi channels, and something to monitor where my own signal is strongest and weakest etc

Cheers

Kev

Keyboard Magic

• Master
Re: What iOS app, clearest wi fi frequency, and signal strenght etc
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2015, 02:50:12 PM »
hi guys

I have had problems at one of my gigs with wi fi dropout,

I want to go back there and see what's exactly happening with relation to all the signals,

Is there an app I can put in my pad to show clean or the most clear wi fi channels, and something to monitor where my own signal is strongest and weakest etc

Cheers

Kev

Maybe this one will work for you?

https://itunes.apple.com/ca/app/network-analyzer-lite-wifi/id562315041?mt=8

8)
"The bad news is time flies. The good news is...you're the pilot." ~ Michael Althsuler

RoadRanger

• SysGod
  • Counselor
  • Master
  • "Wherever you go, There you are"
    • Cacophony Forums
« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2015, 04:21:30 PM »
AFAIK the only WiFi scanner available for the iPad is hidden in the "AirPort Utility" app - install it, open it up and choose "WiFi Scan" in the upper right hand corner. But this will only detect WiFi devices, it will NOT detect wireless guitars or mics, or drones on the same frequencies. You need a true spectrum analyzer for those :( . Always have a wired control option available, you never know when something is gonna come on and stomp out your wireless x( .
« Last Edit: June 24, 2015, 04:23:28 PM by RoadRanger »

WK154

• Door #3
  • Master
« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2015, 07:03:56 AM »
Currently one of the more useful analyzers is this.  http://nutsaboutnets.com/models/  the right model will handle both WiFi and wireless mics in the traditional TV bands. Price is also reasonable.
When in doubt KISS

Kev tyler

• Knight
« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2015, 10:56:34 AM »
Thanks guys

Much appreciated

Kev

Keyboard Magic

• Master
« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2015, 01:10:20 PM »
Just for fun I used the network analyzer lite app on my iPhone at the school to scan for all the active wireless devices. OMG. There were too many to actually count. The majority was active cell phones and 98% of those were iPhones used by teachers and students alone! You don't wonder there’s occasional interference when you’re running a show wirelessly and the audience is full of active phones plus the building's own wireless network added into the mix.  :facepalm:
"The bad news is time flies. The good news is...you're the pilot." ~ Michael Althsuler

WK154

• Door #3
  • Master
« Reply #6 on: June 25, 2015, 04:23:27 PM »
Yup and most are current models which include the 5 gig range so eventually you go back to wired or insist that all communications devices be put in Airplane mode.  ;D Good luck with that. It's quite clear that Audio needs it's own dedicated chunk of frequency. Let the FCC know your lively hood is being affected.
When in doubt KISS

Keyboard Magic

• Master
« Reply #7 on: June 25, 2015, 06:45:33 PM »
Haven't had any dropouts running on 5 GHz yet, or none that I've noticed. Probably will get more crowded as time goes on though. The school's wireless network is pretty pathetic, connections dropping all the time, even with repeaters in most of the hallways on every floor.

It's a good bet they aren't running dual band. I think a good connection there depends on the weather, sunspots, full moon, incantations and the occasional spirit god. Any request for change regarding a dedicated frequency for audio will most likely fall on deaf ears.

Having an option of a wired Ethernet connection is looking good, or just set your desk up at front stage and roam the room with the tablet when needed. There's always the option of breaking out that 100' trip hazard snake once again. ;)

Oh, WK I wanted to ask you if the Airport Extreme Router would help to eliminate drop-outs in the 5GHz range if that band gets too crowded?
« Last Edit: June 25, 2015, 07:16:27 PM by Keyboard Magic »

Kev tyler

• Knight
« Reply #8 on: June 26, 2015, 07:26:02 AM »
I guess William was only joking, I wouldn't hold my breath waiting for a dedicated set of frequencies for music use, it's all about the money isn't it, they had no problem insisting ultra expensive iems and radio mics where consigned to the bin, did they not?

I can't see the future being a bright place for those who rely on wi fi, As wi fi is integrated in to our toilets and fridges and bicycles lawn mowers etc, it can only get worse can't it?

:)
« Last Edit: June 26, 2015, 07:34:24 AM by Kev tyler »

Keyboard Magic

• Master
« Reply #9 on: June 26, 2015, 12:50:16 PM »
I guess William was only joking, I wouldn't hold my breath waiting for a dedicated set of frequencies for music use, it's all about the money isn't it, they had no problem insisting ultra expensive iems and radio mics where consigned to the bin, did they not?

I can't see the future being a bright place for those who rely on wi fi, As wi fi is integrated in to our toilets and fridges and bicycles lawn mowers etc, it can only get worse can't it?

:)

Hell, even GM is making new cars with the option of a WIFI Hotspot built in.  :eek: