Author Topic: Beware of Placing Wireless Mic Receivers Near Apple Router  (Read 15050 times)

takis

• Padawan
Well, it was a newer sanheiser receiver wireless microphone system that was placed on top of my rack where I have the Apple router that connects to the DL32R. 

Basically, some white noise at full volume went throuh the system intermitently....  After we moved the mic to the other side of the stage everything was OK...

So, beware of hooking up wireless mics near the router...

Unfortunately, it took a while to figure out because of the rain on the stage leaking from the ceiling.. it was an outside festival...  never worked with the singer before, thus the wireless seinheiser mic system was new... 

The mic system had a hard time 'syncing' with its own system...  this should of been a sign to move it to the other side from the beginning...

Unfortunately, it was my large sound system and the white noise was loud... but fortunatley all of my electrical power conditioning stuff saved everything.. nothing blew...  except for the one speaker that the actual wind blew over to fall 15 feet off the stage... no one got hurt... the tweeter fell off inside, but the 15" was still working.. when i opened ithe JBL MR410 up today, the tweeter fell off and I just screwed it back on and everything works....  got lucky there...

Overall, the entire day was a bad day with issues...  other than the loud noise through the system, the overall system worked well and was happy with the sound.  People really did not notice anythign because the speaker fell over and the white noise happened to happen at the same time.. so we took a short break and figured things out...

Taki

WK154

• Door #3
  • Master
Re: Beware of Placing Wireless Mic Receivers Near Apple Router
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2015, 07:49:32 PM »
I  take it that your new Sennheiser wireless is of the 2.4 gig variety. A bad choice in my opinion. The traditional 500 Mhz to 698 Mhz have no such problem with any of my gear. I don't have a DL32R or for that matter any Apple routers.
When in doubt KISS

Keyboard Magic

• Master
« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2015, 08:24:07 PM »
I use a Shure - PGXD24/SM58 wireless mic system and have always set the receiver next to the AirPort Express without any issues. Of course the express is running only on 5GHz. I had to disable the 2.4GHz radio, it was making my mic crap out all the time. Now no issues.
« Last Edit: July 05, 2015, 05:51:23 PM by Keyboard Magic »
"The bad news is time flies. The good news is...you're the pilot." ~ Michael Althsuler

Michael Welter

• Knight
« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2015, 01:37:59 AM »
I place my receivers on top of the rack with the DL32R, and haven't had any issues so far. But I do appreciate the heads-up. If it happens, I'll know what to look for.
Mackie Junkie

Weogo

• Knight
« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2015, 02:28:37 AM »
Hi Taki,

I hope in the future you have all speakers safely gsecured.
A speaker falling from 15' could really hurt somebody.

Good health,  Weogo

Greg C.

• Forty-Two
  • Knight
    • Cameron Pro Audio
« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2015, 04:46:16 PM »
I hope in the future you have all speakers safely gsecured.
A speaker falling from 15' could really hurt somebody.

This.

It's very likely a 35 lb. speaker falling from 15' onto someone's head will kill them. If your MP410s were on stands, you need to put theatrical sand bags on the stands to ballast them. I keep 35 lb. bags around just for this reason.

http://www.fullcompass.com/product/446973.html
Procrastinators of the World, Contemplate Uniting!

Harpman

• Knight
  • “If music be the food of love, play on"
    • Stefani Entertainment
« Reply #6 on: July 03, 2015, 07:23:54 AM »

I  take it that your new Sennheiser wireless is of the 2.4 gig variety. A bad choice in my opinion. The traditional 500 Mhz to 698 Mhz have no such problem with any of my gear. I don't have a DL32R or for that matter any Apple routers.

Hey Bill, I have one of those.  What a piece of junk.  Should have gone with the UHF unit in the first place.  And yes, interference city :(. It's collecting dust on my shelf in the garage.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Gio Stefani
Stefani Entertainment
"We Bring Good Music to Life"

RoadRanger

• SysGod
  • Counselor
  • Master
  • "Wherever you go, There you are"
    • Cacophony Forums
« Reply #7 on: July 03, 2015, 06:14:17 PM »
2.4GHz wireless mics and guitar transmitters were a good idea back before WiFi controlled mixers and the explosion of smartphones - not-so-good now :( .

gtrdudes

• Padawan
« Reply #8 on: July 05, 2015, 02:16:38 PM »
When our sennheiser rep showed us the new digital wireless models he specifically said to not have a router anywhere near it.  They don't play well together.

RoadRanger

• SysGod
  • Counselor
  • Master
  • "Wherever you go, There you are"
    • Cacophony Forums
« Reply #9 on: July 05, 2015, 07:57:32 PM »
When our sennheiser rep showed us the new digital wireless models he specifically said to not have a router anywhere near it.  They don't play well together.
So, basically completely useless :P ?

Wynnd

• Master
« Reply #10 on: July 05, 2015, 10:37:46 PM »
I'm getting inclined to put all the receivers in a separate box from my mixing stack.  With modular snake, you can have both ends connected up and only have to do one connection for every set of 8.  (I only own 3 wireless receivers.)  It would provide more isolation for the receivers from the WiFi.  Haven't done it yet, but it's on my mind.

Fluddman

• Knight
« Reply #11 on: July 06, 2015, 02:56:01 AM »
Sounds like I was very lucky. I needed two wireless mics to meet the requirements of a new client and was looking at both the SLX24 (UHF) and the GLXD (2.4GHz).

I was really tempted to go with the Shure Digital because of the clever battery charging function. Lucky one of my mates warned me off the digital.

Cheers

Wynnd

• Master
« Reply #12 on: July 06, 2015, 06:47:41 AM »
I've got one of the Shure digital headset mic and fanny pack.  It's always worked perfectly.  What have you heard that's different?

Wynnd

• Master
« Reply #13 on: July 06, 2015, 06:50:56 AM »
I never looked to see what the digital's operating frequency is.  I've also never had any interference from it.  My Shure receiver is mounted just below the mixer and my airport express is mounted to the rackmount Mackie plate.  Guess I'll check the frequency later today.

Fluddman

• Knight
« Reply #14 on: July 06, 2015, 07:54:39 AM »
I've got one of the Shure digital headset mic and fanny pack.  It's always worked perfectly.  What have you heard that's different?

My mate suggested that the UHF microphones would work better when there wasn't a good line of sight. It was nothing to do with interferrence with or from a wireless router.

Cheers