Author Topic: fine/coarse PEQ adjustment?  (Read 6489 times)

Weogo

• Knight
fine/coarse PEQ adjustment?
« on: July 06, 2015, 04:30:25 AM »
Hi Folks,

I have an Ipad Air with the latest IOS installed, and the most current version of Master Fader.

On the PEQ screen:
Often when making PEQ changes I simply tap on the db level and then enter a number, say 2, for a 2db boost.
But using Master Fader yesterday, if I entered 2 it just stayed at 0.  If I entered 3 it went to 3. 
Entering 4 or 5 it went to 3.  Entering 6 it went to 6.

I can still grab the filter and pull it up, 2, 2.3, 4, 4.5 or 5db(and all the other .1db steps).

Is there a fine/coarse EQ adjustment somewhere?

Can somebody else please try this and see what happens?
This was with a DL32R.
Tomorrow will be using both a DL1608 and DL32R and will do more testing.

Thanks and good health,  Weogo

ijpengelly

• Knight
  • Weekend Warrior
Re: fine/coarse PEQ adjustment?
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2015, 06:25:46 AM »
Indeed, I get a similar result. If you enter a 2 when it has a value already it jumps to 0!! It only seems to like numbers that are multiples of 3 and always rounds down.

I've also just tried this on the output GEQ and get the same issue!
« Last Edit: July 06, 2015, 06:27:26 AM by ijpengelly »

Wynnd

• Master
« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2015, 06:44:41 AM »
Sounds like a software bug.  Report it to Beno.  It's not a major flaw, but it is a bug.  (Just tested it on my ipad mini.  It's here too.)  Being that the scale is 0-15 db +/-  this working correctly is very useful.  (though not the way I work it.  I understand why one would want to.)   Wonder if it's set up to only go to multiples of 3.  For a db scale, that is useful.  3 db increase is double the wattage.  9 db increase is a perceived doubling of volume.  And if you use standard integer handling, you drop anything that's a portion over the largest multiple of 3.  Integer math is so much faster than real math in computers.  This section is part of the lag that some are complaining about.  Makes sense that the processing would be integer math.  But if it's a mix of integer and real math, the lag might be happening because of the transition.  Making it just integer math makes a lot of sense.  a 1 db increase is functionally not noticeable. The decimal point suggests to me that real numbers come into play at some point.  Would be interesting to see that portion of the software.

Keyboard Magic

• Master
« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2015, 03:16:08 PM »
Exact same issues for me too. Time for us all to "bug" Mackie nicely about it. It's not a major thing, but it's there and should be remedied, if Mackie's not already aware of it.  8)
« Last Edit: July 06, 2015, 03:18:18 PM by Keyboard Magic »
"The bad news is time flies. The good news is...you're the pilot." ~ Michael Althsuler

beno

• Mackie Product Manager
  • Padawan
« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2015, 03:20:27 PM »
Yup. Reproduced here. This is a byproduct of some code for the Mic Pre gain setting in DL32R. It looks like it is getting applied to the EQ gain as well. We'll get it fixed ASAP.
Thanks all.

beno

• Mackie Product Manager
  • Padawan
« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2015, 03:22:06 PM »
FYI, this also happens with Comp Gain and GEQ gain as well.

Keyboard Magic

• Master
« Reply #6 on: July 06, 2015, 03:45:32 PM »
Yup. Reproduced here. This is a byproduct of some code for the Mic Pre gain setting in DL32R. It looks like it is getting applied to the EQ gain as well. We'll get it fixed ASAP.
Thanks all.

Thank you Ben for being right on top of this. Customer service is alive and well!  :thu: :thu:
"The bad news is time flies. The good news is...you're the pilot." ~ Michael Althsuler

Weogo

• Knight
« Reply #7 on: July 07, 2015, 04:47:58 AM »
Hi Beno,

Thanks for the information.
Looking forward to the update.

Good health,  Weogo

Weogo

• Knight
« Reply #8 on: July 09, 2015, 04:47:25 AM »
Hi Beno,

One more note on this:
On the DL32R, channel gains are in 3db steps, whether you type in the value or adjust the slider.
I can work with this but it is a bit challenging...

RoadRanger

• SysGod
  • Counselor
  • Master
  • "Wherever you go, There you are"
    • Cacophony Forums
« Reply #9 on: July 09, 2015, 07:18:17 PM »
On the DL32R, channel gains are in 3db steps, whether you type in the value or adjust the slider.  I can work with this but it is a bit challenging...
Good question - I think that on other mixers the recallable preamp gains are stepped also as that's what the hardware does. But maybe some "fake" it by integrating a step sized software gain to fill in the hardware "steps"?

Wynnd

• Master
« Reply #10 on: July 10, 2015, 05:02:21 AM »
a 1 db change is ignorable.   a 3 db change is noticeable.   a 10 db change is a perceived doubling of volume. I understand why it would be set up to only do 3 db changes.  That's real world useful, even if it doesn't seem logical. 

beno

• Mackie Product Manager
  • Padawan
« Reply #11 on: July 16, 2015, 11:28:26 PM »
On the DL32R, channel gains are in 3db steps, whether you type in the value or adjust the slider.

Yup that is how it is implemented. The hardware has always been in 3dB steps. We used to just round it to the nearest 3dB in the background. Now we accurately show you that rounding.

Every other remote mic pre does something similar with analog and digital steps. Behringer for example is 2.5 dB analog steps with digital in between. Same with Midas. Yamaha has even courser analog steps. 3dB is totally fine enough resolution for the analog steps from a noise floor, and dynamic range standpoint and you have the digital trim if you need to tweak it from there.

beno

• Mackie Product Manager
  • Padawan
« Reply #12 on: July 16, 2015, 11:28:51 PM »
FYI, we have fixed this bug and submitted an update 3.2.1 to Apple for approval.

beno

• Mackie Product Manager
  • Padawan
« Reply #13 on: July 21, 2015, 04:50:21 PM »

Weogo

• Knight
Re: fine/coarse GAIN adjustment?
« Reply #14 on: September 25, 2015, 01:37:00 PM »
Hi Folks,

Re-visiting an older thread.

For the DL32R, the EQ and Dynamics are working great, they can be adjusted in .1db steps.

The gain is still in 3db steps.

For you DL32R owners, can you adjust the gain in 1db steps, or is it 3dB?

I understand about the analog preamps actually being in 3db steps.
Beno, can you please clarify, for the preamp settings in the Master Fader app, is this supposed to be 1 or 3db steps?