Author Topic: Q: for beno (and company)  (Read 8746 times)

robmcl

• Padawan
Q: for beno (and company)
« on: July 09, 2015, 04:54:02 PM »
Q:  With all the great suggestions for upgrades and updates that have been posted, how did 'ghost VCA faders' make it into the must-include list for the latest revision?

Pls don't get me wrong...I love my 1608!  I've owned and been very happy with lots of Mackie gear for many years.  Every time there's a sw update it's like my 1608 grows a new feature.   This would be obviously unheard of with a hw mixer.  So my question is not meant to be a criticism but rather an honest question.   Did I simply just miss that request?

Just curious....

Wynnd

• Master
Re: Q: for beno (and company)
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2015, 05:30:41 AM »
I never saw a request for it, but I like it so much.   It will make using the VCA even better than before.  I have my first opportunity to use it tomorrow night.  (Act is "Who is BC" from Texas playing at a club in Westminster Colorado.  I'm looking forward to it.)

Michael Welter

• Knight
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2015, 04:16:59 PM »
I like the question. I, too, am curious about the development process, something that has always fascinated me. I suppose there's some brainstorming going on at Mackie among the developers, and some features are developed through that process.
Mackie Junkie

Wynnd

• Master
« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2015, 04:18:16 AM »
Who Is BC is an act based in Nashville.  Good entertainer.  Was fun to work with.  (Currently doing a short tour.)  He did say that Nashville clubs don't allow breaks in a 4 hour show.  The quantity of material doesn't bother me, but I can't picture playing a solid 4 hours without a nature break at least.  I did see some discussions about member breaks during a show without breaks.  Anyway, I'd like someone to verify the no break policy of Nashville clubs.

Rdmitch

• Knight
« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2015, 09:30:30 PM »
That's insane....no one does a 4 hr show with no breaks. The only possibility is having rotating players allowing each member to have a break every hour.  Then you might as well just have 2 bands and the cost would be double.
Doing the sound I can see handling 4 hrs. Especially since I can take the board into the potty with me if the need arises.  As a player,there is no way I would agree to that long of a show.
Your never to old to learn something stupid

Wynnd

• Master
« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2015, 12:49:30 AM »
I was wondering if it's the amazing number of musicians and singers who are waiting tables because they can't get a gig.  That gives the clubs a huge amount of power. 

Rdmitch

• Knight
« Reply #6 on: July 13, 2015, 12:56:03 AM »
......kind of like waiter/actors in Hollywood just hoping someone comes into the restaurant and "discovers" them.

Wynnd

• Master
« Reply #7 on: July 13, 2015, 12:58:53 AM »
One of my former guitarists did that and afterwards decided there was too much competition in Nashville.  Last I heard he had gone to Knoxville.

Rdmitch

• Knight
« Reply #8 on: July 13, 2015, 02:07:23 AM »
I know a few that ventured there, only to return home of end up further south in Florida.
I give them credit for trying . I for one would never have the guts to just pack it up and make the move.
While I can play fairly well, I'm just not that caliber of a musician.

James91104

• Knight
« Reply #9 on: July 13, 2015, 07:12:36 PM »
Meaning no disrespect to all the musos busting chops and humping gear for their art or just to pay rent, but howzabout we grab hold of the wheel of this thread and steer it back to the OP topic and see how we might be able to shake an answer out of a tree in Woodinville. Not that any such response will help lead to world peace, reversing climate change, or assist in a t-shirt choice  for the day, but some inquiring minds may care to possibly gain an insight to the sanctum and inner workings at World Domination HQ. ;)

Keyboard Magic

• Master
« Reply #10 on: July 13, 2015, 08:04:08 PM »
Even though I agree with you, it's fun to digress once in a while, or a whole lot in this case.  ;) Somehow I don't think an answer from the "the tree" may be coming for a while. We can hope Ben is lurking.  8)
"The bad news is time flies. The good news is...you're the pilot." ~ Michael Althsuler

Rdmitch

• Knight
« Reply #11 on: July 13, 2015, 09:06:25 PM »
Maybe we need a category for just mindless (only in my case) ramblings 🎵

sam.spoons

• Pint #2
  • Master
« Reply #12 on: July 13, 2015, 09:18:24 PM »
My other favourite forum has a 'musicians lounge' off topic forum for just such stuff. I love it  ;D

beno

• Mackie Product Manager
  • Padawan
« Reply #13 on: July 16, 2015, 11:23:33 PM »
There is an old product management saying (I forget who this is attributed to) that I'll paraphrase: "If we only ever listened to feature requests, we'd all be using the fastest horses and buggies instead of cars".

Of course feature requests are very important to us and we continue to chip away at them. But sometimes we add features for other reasons. This one in particular was actually something we wanted to do when we added VCAs in the first place with 3.0, but didn't quite get to in time for release. It is very helpful when setting up a system, helpful for trouble shooting and helpful for new users to learn how VCAs work. It was just the right amount of work to slot into 3.2 along with the 32 channel recording upgrade for DL32R, so we did it. And the response has been very positive.

The next major release will add some features that you all have been asking for, and will also add some features that no one has been asking for, but we think are really cool or have strategic importance for us. That's how product development work. Saying yes and saying no and saying not right now.

Rdmitch

• Knight
« Reply #14 on: July 17, 2015, 01:50:36 AM »
All is appreciated and I'm sure many of us have wants and wishes. However, I sincerely believe every available new feature is like a free bonus!
Keep up the great work and thanks for posts keeping us in the know.